Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer in the Mayo area

Options
  • 19-02-2018 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all.

I was wondering if there was anyone in the Mayo area that is interested in Warhammer, either Fantasy or 40K. I recently bought a friend's old Fantasy armies (primarily Beastmen, with some Chaos and Dwarves), and have been building a Tyranid army for 40K.

I'm located in Castlebar currently, and have to travel to Galway in order to play (which is somewhat less that convenient).

Would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of any tabletop groups in the area; or if anyone wants to get in touch to organise a game, that would be great too.

As an aside, Tabletop Simulator is a pretty great way of playing 40K, if anyone out there would be interested in playing online. I'm thinking I might make another topic later to try and find anyone who's interested, but it's probably worth mentioning it here too.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Never heard of Tabletop simulator before, what's it like?

And you know Fantasy is gone right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Snej

Tabletop Simulator is pretty great, honestly. I've played a couple of games of 40K there, and they went really smoothly. It also offers a couple of conveniences that you can't get on the tabletop, like being able to mouse over a unit to see its statline and equipment. Pretty much everything you could expect to have in the physical game is present, with a couple of extra things like having quick reference sheets next to the board for the game turn. I'd be more than happy to show you around the system at some point.

Yeah, I know that Fantasy is Age of Sigmar right now. I'm just not a massive fan of Age of Sigmar, particularly the lore aspect of it. There's a reasonable community of people out there who still play 7th or 8th edition of Fantasy; though that community is small enough these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Oh cool, I remember TTS now but I didnt realise it would work like that, I just thought it was for card games and chess and stuff. I must try and get it soon and give it a try. But how does it work with editions and codexes and such?

Yeah I'm not a fan at all either, real pity what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Snej

I'm not sure about 6th edition and prior (never tried them), but it works nicely with 7th and 8th. In fact, it works better with 8th as they removed a lot of mechanics such as blast templates (which were honestly a little fidgety to use in TTS). People actually make specific tables for 7th and 8th edition, so they will include relevant quick reference sheets, data cards, objectives e.t.c with the table. Quite a few of them have modular terrain now too, so you can customise the terrain (or just grab one of the ridiculously good premade ones).

As for codices, I'm not sure how often the various uploaders update their army models as codices come out. But it's simple enough to edit the models yourself and just save them for later use. I do know that you can grab an Adeptus Custodes army on the workshop now, so there's no real issue with things being unavailable.

Hehe, this is starting to feel like I'm advertising TTS. It's genuinely worth getting, even if just for 40K. Playing the physical game is always going to be better, but this is a good alternative, and lets you try out army builds without having to commit money to them.

Advertisement