Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Kids Playlist

• 19-02-2018 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Being a dad of an 8.5 month old I'm thinking about how we can help stimulate her through music. I had the idea of making a playlist but choosing the right content is tricky. I know kids can respond to anything but I want to try to keep it light and upbeat. So far the only tune I have is Yellow Submarine by the beatles as it's fun and the chorus is easy to sing along to (we can't sing at all). My partner and I will put this on and lift her into our arms and sort of 'dance' with her while it's on.

Any suggestions on light, easy tunes to add to the playlist:

Confirmed:
    The Beatles - Yellow Submarine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

There's a playlist on Spotify of Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart's Junior Choice songs, mostly stuff people of a certain vintage (ahem!) listened to as kids. Not saying it's all brilliant, but definitely worth checking out for ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yellow submarine is a good sing along one.
    It might be a good idea to just have one or two like that that you keep coming back to - they'll recognise it easier.

I remember playing a lot of reggae, especially Bob Marley with our first. He seemed to find it relaxing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While we had a few great albums for younger kids, notably The Bestiary, I reckon the best music for kids is the music you really enjoy yourself, whether its chilling out on the sofa or bopping in the kitchen at full volume. You're happy, they're happy, you're having a fun and/or relaxing together, so its all good. Added bonus when you keep this up (mine are now 14 and 18) is you can start going to gigs together, share music, etc... I certainly wouldn't be putting on any music you don't enjoy yourself on the basis that it's good for the kids, nor would I be too worried that any tunes you enjoy being 'inappropriate'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

They Might Be Giants have a some really good albums for kids. Here Comes Science and Here Come The 123s are both excellent.

Advertisement