Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SVR vs LTV? Feeling confused

• 19-02-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I asked in another thread for advice re fixing my mortgage for up to ten years. One thing confusing me is that I have read to pay special attention to what rate you go back on to it once this fixed period expires.

Looking at my letter from BOI it says "the lender's prevailing Standard Variable Rate will apply on expiry of this fixed term". But when I look at the rate options I see no mention of SVR

5lxyc7l.png

In this instance does the Standard Variable Rate refer to the 'Variable LTV'? Or are LTV and SVR separate entities?

Also, I assume once you fix for a number of years, once that period expires the bank have the right not to offer you another fixed rate, they could force you down to the (potentially) more expensive variable rate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Bank of Ireland's standard variable rate is 4.50% compared to AIB's 3.15% - this is because they never passed on any of the ECB rate reductions to existing customers and they offer new customers either loan to value or fixed rates however when people come off the fixed rates and they wish to go variable they are offered the standard variable or another fixed rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

On their website they say this
    Owner Occupier rates
    Owner Occupier rates are effective from 2nd November 2017 and are subject to change. These rates are provided for information only. At the end of a fixed rate period, customers on a fixed rate can choose from our range of fixed rate options or roll to the LTV Variable rate applicable at that time. Customers on a variable rate can choose from our range of fixed rates. To avail of a lower LTV fixed rate a property valuation report may be required.

They're saying LTV there?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

That's interesting, different wording to the letter they sent me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

robocode wrote: »

Make sure you confirm in writing with them. The SVR tends to be much higher than LTV rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

That's why you have to be very careful when signing these forms. Go back to them and point out what's on the website and ask if that is applicable to existing customers and ask them to amend the form to include the loan to value rates.

robocode wrote: »

• Advertisement
Advertisement