Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1940s party- male.

• 19-02-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My o/h has just informed me that we're going to a WW2/1940s themed party at the weekend. I haven't really got any clue what to wear and don't want to spend a bomb either. From looking online it's pretty much just Peaky Blinders style tweed suits which I haven't got & don't fancy buying one that I probably won't ever wear again. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Honesty op, if you could get a pair of braces and a bowtie you could do a pretty easy "rough 40's" outfit with a pair of chinos, a pair of converse, a shirt, bowtie and a cardigan if you have it. Like an Ivy-leauge 1940's look. Get some shiny hair product and part your hair and slick it down. You'd be more "American 1940's" but that's fine sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If you can get a traditional pair of trousers but too big for you by a size or so: they wore them high on the waist - really very high; and the pants legs quite loose.
    So just get a pair somewhat too large, shorten the hems at the ankle and leave a turn-up. You could literally duck-tape it in place.
    Oh, and a hat is essential. Clean-shaven and short hair. Waistcoat and you're done!

http://www.thelifenostalgic.com/how-to-dress-1940s-style-for-him/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the replies, guys :)

Great ideas. Think I'll take a trip into one of the charity shops in town and see can I pick up a pair of big slacks and a hat. Have braces and suitable shirt at home.

Advertisement