Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's team announced

• 19-02-2018 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/events-news/ireland-names-team-for-world-indoors-championships/12680

No men (pending McMullen's Wild Card invitation)

Bigger team than last edition but still leaves alot to be desired

How they Rank

Phil Healy #13 in World this year though 9 of the girls are US so 7 of those won't be in Birmingham.

Amy Foster joint 57th in world this year while Ciara Neville is through by right of her time last year but would rank just inside top 100 this year based off her season performances

Mageean's time from Boston was good enough to get here 26th this year on the World Ranking's though with change in coaching and look at a more strength based approach I reckon she is probably in better shape to handle rounds than that time may indicate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Unless Mageean or Healy make the final, then Irish interest will be over after the Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

How come the low entry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

How come the low entry?

2016 - 1 athlete
    2014 - 5 athletes

Gregan was the only athlete with standard who didn't run (didn't run indoors this year)

2016 - 1 athlete
    2014 - 5 athletes

Gregan was the only athlete with standard who didn't run (didn't run indoors this year)

Ah fair enough. Is English injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

Strange how gregan didn’t run indoors as he is very strong indoors. Not sure what’s Marks English’s story but he’s not at the standard judging by the weekend.

Hopefully McMullen gets in. I’ve been saying it for years that he will hit the magical 8m. He is getting very close now.
    Sure Healy is the best chance at making the final. Even at that she would probably need another PB.

• Advertisement

Ben Reynolds (60mH) has been added due to IAAF invite.

Take it, only the bbc and eurosport are covering this?

Hope AAI are flying them out today or early tomorrow. I foresee carnage. Supposed to be flying out Thursday myself. Fairly worried flight will be cancelled. Ferry is an option but being stranded in Hollyhead could be a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hope AAI are flying them out today or early tomorrow. I foresee carnage. Supposed to be flying out Thursday myself. Fairly worried flight will be cancelled. Ferry is an option but being stranded in Hollyhead could be a possibility.

Flying out Saturday morning for Saturday and Sunday sessions, hopefully we get out. Friday looks like it could go one of two ways, v. heavy snow or rain. Thursday ain't looking good but it's hard to know for sure.

Thursday you should be ok, its Friday I be more concern with!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dibaba for the first leg of the 1,500/3,000 double tonight or can Laura Muir secure a win? Plenty more who’ll have a say to.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Dibaba for the first leg of the 1,500/3,000 double tonight or can Laura Muir secure a win? Plenty more who’ll have a say to.

Muir only got in late last night. Think she got a taxi from Scotland through multiple blizzards. Not ideal preparation.

My flight was cancelled. Rebooked onto 6:40am Saturday morning. Hopefully I can salvage some of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Muir only got in late last night. Think she got a taxi from Scotland through multiple blizzards. Not ideal preparation.

My flight was cancelled. Rebooked onto 6:40am Saturday morning. Hopefully I can salvage some of it.

Not ideal is right, sorry to hear about the cancellation of your flight.

Far from ideal prep, but also not very professional from her. She knew the weather from last Sunday. Could of easily made alternative options

Far from ideal prep, but also not very professional from her. She knew the weather from last Sunday. Could of easily made alternative options

She also is a full time student and has responsibilites. She will be fine not sn athlete to make excuses and gets on with it

Yes i know she is a full time athlete. Just saying not ideal prep.

BE interesting to see how he runs. She has still to mature as a top runner

She has commitments away from athletics. Those commitments are the reason she is not doing the Commonwealth Games this year.

You hardly expect her to dart away from her studies/lectures/assignments a few weeks before her finals for any longer than the length of the championships do you?

She has commitments away from athletics. Those commitments are the reason she is not doing the Commonwealth Games this year.

You hardly expect her to dart away from her studies/lectures/assignments a few weeks before her finals for any longer than the length of the championships do you?

I know she pull out of the commonwealth games.

Not saying to go weeks early but could of flew in Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. So miss two days only instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Two high jumps and the Women’s 3k titles decided tonight. Both the high jumps were a bit disappointing. The top 2 men ( Lysenko and Barshim) and winning lady (Lasitskene) performed very well but the rest struggled. Lysenko cleared 2.36m on his 3rd attempt, you could hear a pin drop before the jump. Not sure if the surface was a problem, very one seemed slow and struggled with their run up.

The 3k was won, for the 3rd time in a row, by Genzebe Dibaba followed by Hassan and Muir. Slow opening first K but it picked up from there. I thought Dibaba was going to be caught but she held on, I think Hassan gave herself to much to do, spent a little to long doddling at the back of the field. All 3 are doing the 1500. Glad for Muir.

Recorded live broadcast on BBC and then FF through all the hot air and waffle, it’s hard work watching their coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Muir had to request two days off to run in Birmingham. She's in her final year of her degree, so one can hardly quibble about her not being professional. Well done to her on winning a medal.

I know she pull out of the commonwealth games.

Not saying to go weeks early but could of flew in Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. So miss two days only instead of one.

https://twitter.com/benbloomsport/status/969340304854790144?s=21

Woke up to a vehicle that won't start as 3ft snow drifts that have blocked us in meaning getting cars out is impossible. Not looking good for getting over tomorrow.

My flight cancelled for the second time. It’s game over now. Utterly sickened. Hard to watch it on tv when I should be there.

My flight cancelled for the second time. It’s game over now. Utterly sickened. Hard to watch it on tv when I should be there.

Same, all flights cancelled. Tickets and hotel wasted, sickener.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Same, all flights cancelled. Tickets and hotel wasted, sickener.

It sucks. Thankfully I had the media pass so it’s only 140 euro for accommodation lost. But you can’t put a price on the experience. That’s the biggest loss.

It has to be said, that was absolutely dreadful from Mageean yesterday. She’s obviously not in shape yet, and said herself her focus was Comm Games and she was only doing Birmingham because it was so close to where she was training. World Championships aren’t the place to have a bit of a fitness test, and a virtual training session. I guess it gives her another opportunity to get a 1500m race in before Gold Coast. I can’t think of any other reason why she’d have bothered running.

It has to be said, that was absolutely dreadful from Mageean yesterday. She’s obviously not in shape yet, and said herself her focus was Comm Games and she was only doing Birmingham because it was so close to where she was training. World Championships aren’t the place to have a bit of a fitness test, and a virtual training session. I guess it gives her another opportunity to get a 1500m race in before Gold Coast. I can’t think of any other reason why she’d have bothered running.

Pretty poor alright, looked to be in a different class to her competitors, and not in a good way. Can't do much for your confidence when you're trailing off the back in a World 1500m heat. Hopefully it will pick up for her but it's been a lean 18 months since she set her 1500m PB in August 2016.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Pretty poor alright, looked to be in a different class to her competitors, and not in a good way. Can't do much for your confidence when you're trailing off the back in a World 1500m heat. Hopefully it will pick up for her but it's been a lean 18 months since she set her 1500m PB in August 2016.

She didn't seem to take the World Indoors seriously. It was just a bit of preparation for the Comm Games. Fair enough that is her goal (albeit Comm Games is pretty poor standard in comparison to the World Indoors), but if she was just looking to trot around like that, there are NIA meets, or other similar type things in the UK. This is the World Championships!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Comm games are next month, wouldn't be too hopeful of too much of an improvement by then.

Advertisement