Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can solve the housing crisis

Options
  • 19-02-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

And the traffic problems, and the quality of life problems of commuters and the car emmisions ...

I posted this in another thread but I think it deserves one of it's own.

Company just couldn't be bothered letting people work from home, yet if they want you when you are sick to work they are happy for you to dial in from your sick bed and work.

I bet if the government gave a tax incentive to employers for each person that they allow to work from home at least 3 or 4 days a week things would change.

Imagine how the traffic and public transport crowding would be reduced. As well as the quality of life for all those stuck in cars and buses for hours every day. And the emissions that would dissapear .....
    Oh and the effect on the housing supply in the cities too.

It would be like a new world.

It's the one thing a minister could do to change the quality of life of citizens overnight.
    Too sensible though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

How does that solve the housing crisis, those stay at home workers need somewhere to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

How does that solve the housing crisis, those stay at home workers need somewhere to live.

Yes but they wouldn't need to live in Dublin, where the primary crisis is.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

Well it would change the pressures off the major city markets. There would be a large increase in the suburban markets and the national roll out plan for high speed broadband looks like its being run by sheer will itself which is not lending my confidence in it.

That being said I would love to move to the country and work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Not everyone would need to live within a commute of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have you seem the rise in prices and rents in Limerick, Galway and Cork? It's not just a Dublin thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Slantied

I came up with an even better solution.

Why pay you X wages to work remotely from outside Dublin, when I can pay someone X-1 wages to work from India?

All this idea does is attempt to outrun the unsustainable model of globalisation.

In effect it only spreads the disease everywhere longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FionnB

Slantied wrote: »
    I came up with an even better solution.

Why pay you X wages to work remotely from outside Dublin, when I can pay someone X-1 wages to work from India?

All this idea does is attempt to outrun the unsustainable model of globalisation.

In effect it only spreads the disease everywhere longterm.

You've clearly never had to work with anyone in India if you think it's that simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I dont get it? How can I fix an industrial machine from home if it's in the factory? Or how does my plumber fix my heating from his home? Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Slantied

FionnB wrote: »
    You've clearly never had to work with anyone in India if you think it's that simple!

no more simple than the op suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Have you seem the rise in prices and rents in Limerick, Galway and Cork? It's not just a Dublin thing.

But believe it or not there are lots of places to live in Ireland apart from the built up urban areas you know! And some of them are quite cheap!

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    But believe it or not there are lots of places to live in Ireland apart from the built up urban areas you know! And some of them are quite cheap!

Sure. But people don't want to live in the likes of Longford, regardless of whether or not they'd be able to work from home for three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

People wouldnt have to live in those cities either.
    You could live anywhere if you didn't have to work in the cities.

Skatedude wrote: »
    I dont get it? How can I fix an industrial machine from home if it's in the factory? Or how does my plumber fix my heating from his home? Am I missing something here?

Well you wouldn't be an ideal work from home candidate, but a huge portion of the workforce would be.

KellyXX wrote: »
    Well you wouldn't be an ideal work from home candidate, but a huge portion of the workforce would be.

Really? You offer people living in the major cities in Ireland - Dublin, Cork, Galway, etc, the chance to move out to the sticks and you think a "huge portion" would take it?

I'd love to see some evidence to back this up because I seriously doubt it. Whether or not they 'have to' work in these major cities, I'd bet that more people than not want to live there and that the appeal of moving somewhere like Leitrim or Longford would be very limited.

I know I'd have no interest in living outside of Dublin or Galway, regardless of work.

Really? You offer people living in the major cities in Ireland - Dublin, Cork, Galway, etc, the chance to move out to the sticks and you think a "huge portion" would take it?

I'd love to see some evidence to back this up because I seriously doubt it. Whether or not they 'have to' work in these major cities, I'd bet that more people than not want to live there and that the appeal of moving somewhere like Leitrim or Longford would be very limited.

I know I'd have no interest in living outside of Dublin or Galway, regardless of work.

They don't have to move to Longford. They just don't have to live right beside work anymore so could live anywhere where they don't need to commute and that suits their wallet and where they feel they would like. They aren't governed by a commute anymore. Not to mention less cars on the roads and less people waiting at bus stops. And if they aren't competing for the houses in the same city then less competition for houses in small areas and lower prices.

You only give the tax break to the employer for each day the person works from home.

Why not offer the tax break. If there are no takers then no loss to anyone. If there are then that's an improvement for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Solving the housing crisis would mean completely changing the planning of the city. The council buys as many properties as they can, gut it and lash up 3 or 4 storeys there instead. Done in Seattle as you could read in the Journal yesterday. Fire half of useless Dublin bus and restructure Bus Eireann to make it actually useful. Heavily invest in public transport and other infrastructure. Build a decent train network.
    Oh people don't like any building bigger than 3,50m within a km of their house? Tough.

That's how you solve a housing crisis. Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

If I'd a penny for every time someone working a day at home uttered the phrase "you get sooo much more done working from home" I'd be a rich man :D

Oh and if your company is expecting you to work when you're sick then that's an indictment on them but not every company is like that.

Working from home can be good for work/life balance reasons but I don't think it'll help the housing crisis at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh,

Its not a terrible suggestion. But should be considered in a scheme of multiple actions.

I dont see how this could not fit well into an overall action plan tbf. Another tool in the arsenal of addressing congestion woes and housing requirements relief

Advertisement