Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Western Greenway, Mayo

Options
  • 19-02-2018 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭

Hi

Thinking of doing this, can anyone tell me if the terrain is mainly good, thinking of doing it with a bike and then a 2 year old in a trailer at the back, obviously this will add weight etc, so just checking if the terrrain is relatively safe or is there any "off road " parts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

If you do a search on this forum you'll find loads of posts on this particular topic. The greenway well suited to the type of riding you are describing. In my experience most of it is on an offload paved path or one made out of shingles. At the very end near Achill it goes out on to the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It also goes through Newport on road but vehicle speed "should" be slow enough through the village. From memory there was one short downhill section that ended in a turn you would need to be a bit more careful going through that section - that was on way from Achill to Westport so if going opposite direction it wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

There are plenty of rough bumpy patches if that's what you are wondering. I was on it late December - A small section of really poor tarmac, about half a km of really bumpy stretch etc, but otherwise manageable. Any shock absorbers on the two year old's trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

My son and his father-in-law took turns towing a 3 y.o, on a trailer supplied by hirer. That was four years ago. No problems, but both fit.

Since then there have been some improvements to track, approaches and catering stops.

Reported that terms have been reached with owner of last mile or so into Achill Sound. Expected to be open this summer.

Also being extended into the Island.

There is also a spur to Turlough via Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Was there in November and cycled from Westport to Mulranny and back. Didn't have the kids with us but there were loads of families with kids in trailers. Surface was perfect for a trailer. Just make sure the kid in the trailer is wrapped up warm, blankets etc depending on the time of year. A lot of the kids we saw looked pretty chilled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It should be fine for a bike trailer. Just be careful at gates along the way that the trailer can get through.

Some gates on various greenways and trails are poorly designed and you would have to get off your bike in order to get the trailer through.

On that greenway there are normal cattle gates that can be opened. Just make sure to close them after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭obi604

It should be fine for a bike trailer. Just be careful at gates along the way that the trailer can get through.

Some gates on various greenways and trails are poorly designed and you would have to get off your bike in order to get the trailer.

On that greenway there are normal cattle gates that can be opened. Just make sure to close them after you.

silly question probably, but why would I potentially need to open cattle gates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

obi604 wrote: »
    silly question probably, but why would I potentially need to open cattle gates ?
    The line had been abandoned so the landowners were entitled to right of way when it was reopened. This means that there are gates which allow farm traffic, movement of animals when necessary with the small gates normal to trails along side.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

It has been a few years since I did this but I cycled from Westport to Achill. Most people tended to get the bus to Achill and cycle back because on average it's a climb from Newport to Achill. I also remember a marking on the map that I got from the bike hire called 'the big hill' just outside Westport, it is only a short hill but very steep.

There were one or two 'off road' places, more like farm tracks and I remember having to go out on the road between Mulranny and Achill, there was work on a bike lane going on so I'm sure it's finished now. But all of these are only short sections, by and large I remember the surface being good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ATTY wrote: »
    It has been a few years since I did this but I cycled from Westport to Achill. Most people tended to get the bus to Achill and cycle back because on average it's a climb from Newport to Achill. I also remember a marking on the map that I got from the bike hire called 'the big hill' just outside Westport, it is only a short hill but very steep.

There were one or two 'off road' places, more like farm tracks and I remember having to go out on the road between Mulranny and Achill, there was work on a bike lane going on so I'm sure it's finished now. But all of these are only short sections, by and large I remember the surface being good.

you also tend to get a tailwind coming from Achill, which would have much more of an impact that the minor incline!
    there is a steep hill just outside of Westport, which I took my lad up in the trailer twice before I realised there was no need! it can be easily bypassed by heading out onto the main road before the town, or indeed as we finally did cross straight over at that point and in the back entrance of Westport house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry to hijack your thread (Mods delete if not allowed)but planning a trip to Mayo and looking for tips. Hoping to stay 2 nights and taking the bikes with us. Don't fancy doing the whole thing in one day so looking for tips on best starting/finishing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

We did this last July with 2 kids (3 & <1 years old) - used a trailer and it was perfect.

Day 1: started in Westport and went to Mulranny. A cheap Airbnb base for 2 nights.
    Day 2: Mulranny to Achill. Back to Mulranny in the evening.
    Day 3: back to Westport.

Kids had a ball - would recommend to anyone. All pubs along the way are accommodating with baby bowls for the youngest. Airbnb instead of a hotel gave us a break from hotel breakfasts and dinners too. Stopped along the route at coffee shops and galleries more often than we needed to and took our time. Planning for the Waterford Greenway this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

jos28 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your thread (Mods delete if not allowed)but planning a trip to Mayo and looking for tips. Hoping to stay 2 nights and taking the bikes with us. Don't fancy doing the whole thing in one day so looking for tips on best starting/finishing points.

12km stretch between Westport - Newport least scenic with a few more 'ups and downs' so you could omit this stretch (as many do) and enjoy the 30kms between Newport-Mulranny-Achill. This is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

This section is now open, used it on Monday. Come out now at the Garda station next to the bridge to the Island
    nuac wrote: »
    Reported that terms have been reached with owner of last mile or so into Achill Sound. Expected to be open this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

This section is now open, used it on Monday. Come out now at the Garda station next to the bridge to the Island

Any sign of work on the new section between Achill sound and Keel beach ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Budawanny wrote: »
    Any sign of work on the new section between Achill sound and Keel beach ?

Didn't notice, I went in a few km along the keel road but didn't see any signs of work but might've missed it if it was far from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Didn't notice, I went in a few km along the keel road but didn't see any signs of work but might've missed it if it was far from the road.

Cheers, mustn’t have started yet then.

Hi

Can anyone recommend a bike hire company for the western greenway?

Looking for 2 adult bikes with 2 trailers.

I got good advice last year in regard to the Waterford greenway and saved about 30 Euro on the rentals.

also, another question, what is the most scenic part of the route ?

with kids and trailers etc and only a part of a day, want to make the most of it and try and cycle on the most scenic part but also try and avoid too many hilly sections (we not used to cycling and then with added trailers so just being honest with myself)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't really advise on bikes. We used Clew Bay Bike hire. They were grand. Nothing exceptional. I'd say there are better bikes available from both them and others. However, they did a drop off and pick up service that was great.

On scenic parts. Westport to Newport is dull. Newport to Mulranny is lovely. Mulranny to Achill is at times breathtakingly good. I did it on a fairly dull day too just trying to stay ahead of the rain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement