Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Yes I signed up for it a couple of weeks ago

Got an email yesterday saying its only 8 weeks to go. Was detailing the timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Is it a hilly course, never ran here before and doing the national 10k with the club this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Is it a hilly course, never ran here before and doing the national 10k with the club this year....

First 5k is flat to downhill, second 5K is hilly - up by the Magazine Fort, along and down the S bends, and down/up the Furry Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

First 5k is flat to downhill, second 5K is hilly - up by the Magazine Fort, along and down the S bends, and down/up the Furry Glen.

Thanks run and jump... I'll try and keep something for second half so...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

2ND 5km is tough, especially if you've gone off to quick at the start

The hill is tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Looking forward to this, when I did my first ever race (Jingle Bells in December), I never thought I’d be back doing a 10k in the park :)

Just wondering out of curiosity if there is any goodies included apart from the gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Goose76 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, when I did my first ever race (Jingle Bells in December), I never thought I’d be back doing a 10k in the park :)

Just wondering out of curiosity if there is any goodies included apart from the gels?

Looks like there will be t-shirts at the finish line. Got my race number today in the post. Looking forward to this, I haven’t raced in Phoenix Park before.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

T shirts will be given at the finish line. Medal should be in your goodie bag at the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Might give this a whirl, the second 5k will definitely be tough if you go out too fast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you are in a club make sure you enter under the "National 10K" option:

http://www.greatrun.org/great-ireland-run/aai-national-championships

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I like this race and have ran it about 4 or 5 times, tough last 2-3K but a really good one to do, it has a 'big race' feel to it as so many people enter it.

I am probably going to skip it this year though as a few of my mates have roped me into the Night Run on Sunday the 22nd instead as we have never completed one at night (good excuse to go to the pub afterwards :D)
    At €35 it is a bit pricey, but like lemmings we have signed up!

It will be my first race since the Naas 10K last September where I bagged a PB ....and an Achilles strain for 5 months :eek:

Best of luck to any Boardies doing this one, normally a good tee shirt, medal and goodie bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

Anyone know if this usually sells out? Keen to do it but can't quite commit yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The O

Won't sell out. Entry numbers have been declining for this in the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Have people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Have people

What do you intend to do with them?!?

RayCun wrote: »
    What do you intend to do with them?!?

:):):):):)

I hope you'd all still be laughing if I'd been kidnapped mid-post and they were my last words ...

Apologies for the half post (I'm blaming my phone!) - I MEANT to say

'Have people received their numbers by post yet?'

:):):):pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Yes, i have seen posts by people saying that they have received their number in the post

Anyone with AAI entry wont get them in the post and they have to be collected on the day

eve wrote: »
    Yes, i have seen posts by people saying that they have received their number in the post

Anyone with AAI entry wont get them in the post and they have to be collected on the day

Ah thanks! That’s why, so

Is it too late to enter? I'm trying to enter on the website but being told the 'stream is closed'.

still open - website seemed to have a glitch earlier. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone know what parking will be like on Sunday? They are saying heavy traffic restrictions and no parking but not sure if I believe it.

Surely with the zoo and all the runs, there will have to be some parking in the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

The problem with this event and parking is that the 5k starts 90 minutes earlier and they take all the good parking spots and that are normally available if you arrive earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Anyone know if they have a bicycle park?
    I don't see anything in the literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 broom30

Phoebas wrote: »
    Anyone know if they have a bicycle park?
    I don't see anything in the literature.

They didn't last year but there are plenty of spots to lock a bike near the start. I locked mine to the metal tree guards along chesterfield avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

broom30 wrote: »
    They didn't last year but there are plenty of spots to lock a bike near the start. I locked mine to the metal tree guards along chesterfield avenue.

I’ve done this race a couple of times. I’m lucky enough to live a 20 min or so cycle away. Plenty of places to park up the bike.

Personally I would not be doing this race if I had to drive there. The traffic and parking is absolutely woeful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well that race has gotten no less horrible since I last ran it 6 years ago. :)
    Good to be back out on the roads though, I miss this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

T-Shirts are a terrible shape. Mine is wider than it is long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Pretty poor effort at a goodie bag. Would prefer a bag of jellies to a medal really. Still i enjoyed it. And banked a PB

Shaved 1 min 30 seconds off my 10k PB, this was only my third ever 10k, delighted!

Enjoyed the race a lot although second 5k was very tough. Glad I was aware of the route in advance!

Thought it was fairly well organised for such a large event, I was one of the latecomers who had to collect their number on the day and so also had to arrange drop off bag and write details on it etc before the race. All went fairly smoothly considering there was a fair bit to do before I could start getting warmed up.

Less bunching on the course than I had expected as well, made for a nice focused run. There was definitely a very corporate, British feel about the whole thing though, I wonder if that’s why numbers are falling - are folks more keen on AAI events?

Great day either way :) id defo be up for it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Goose76 wrote: »
    There was definitely a very corporate, British feel about the whole thing though, I wonder if that’s why numbers are falling - are folks more keen on AAI events?
    how many ran

Advertisement