Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run 2018

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

adrian522 wrote: »
    Other timing companies seem to be able to get results up pretty much straight away.

Also if you register as part of a club you should be included in that club in the results but they somehow dropped a load of runners from the club results even though they were registered properly.

Clubs had to declare teams in advance as per AI , was this done? It was flagged on AI web in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

youngrun wrote: »
    Dont think any other 10k in the country has as many sub 40 so it must be doing something right?

I would have to 100% disagree.

I only had 5 minutes to do some basic research.

Let us compare the N.Ireland Champishionps to the Republic. Let us, for example, take the male results. It is far too simplistic to say: xx under 40min = must be a good race. That is only part of the picture. In the Seeley Cup there were 58 men under 35 minutes. In the GIR, 60*. The North has a population a fraction of that of the South.

Either the North has a disproportionate quality club runners (good) or there is a serious problem with the GIR and/or in running in general in the Republic.

No one can argue the GIR in any reflects 10km road running in Ireland. Maybe it does though.......and not in a good way.

*need to confirm results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »
    All the club men get to start in a pen ahead of the masses, so they should stay in front ;)

or at least that's how it used to be

Oh do they? Sorry, I didn't realise that (have never seen the men's start as I'm always 20 minutes down the road by then). Well, then, you're right, they should indeed stay in front! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Let us compare the N.Ireland Champishionps to the Republic.

without replaying the NACAI/BLE split all over again :) , are there any club races in the 26 counties that have a similar number of sub 40 or sub 35 runners?

Dunshaughlin had 38 men under 35 last year, and 180 under 40. Any other contenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

without replaying the NACAI/BLE split all over again :) , are there any club races in the 26 counties that have a similar number of sub 40 or sub 35 runners?

Dunshaughlin had 38 men under 35 last year, and 180 under 40. Any other contenders?

I have done absolutely NO research into this beyond looking at my own position, and it's probably irrelevant as I am v mid-pack, but my age category position in the AAI race was very similar to my age category position in the Raheny 5, and Raheny usually has an OK field, so I'm deducing that the National 10k had a similar (women's masters) field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dunshaughlin is a great 10k. Can't wait for it this year. Perfect timeof the year to get into top shape

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Nermal wrote: »
    Dust to put on my cereal and a shirt that would be roomy on an international prop. If you ran 10K with that weight on you the glucosamine sampler would be useless, you'd have to go straight for orthopaedic surgery. Where do I send a nasty email to?

This whole comment is amazing. Everything I thought but never said. I did give them a piece of my mind on the survey though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I would have to 100% disagree.

I only had 5 minutes to do some basic research.

Let us compare the N.Ireland Champishionps to the Republic. Let us, for example, take the male results. It is far too simplistic to say: xx under 40min = must be a good race. That is only part of the picture. In the Seeley Cup there were 58 men under 35 minutes. In the GIR, 60*. The North has a population a fraction of that of the South.

Either the North has a disproportionate quality club runners (good) or there is a serious problem with the GIR and/or in running in general in the Republic.

No one can argue the GIR in any reflects 10km road running in Ireland. Maybe it does though.......and not in a good way.

*need to confirm results

You Could be right given the number/% of NI runners on distance teams at marathon/800 up etc ..Maybe they are just tougher/training better/more competitive than your average ROI club runner?
    Plenty of good sub 35 club runners running other ten ks/races same weekend as National which I dont understand. Its a tougher course I guess than SC too the GIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

Was anybody's watch showing 10.8k? Heard a few people say it was off but not sure was it a different finish ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Mine was spot on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

6.27 Miles (about 10.1K), about standard for a 10K race I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

jhammer wrote: »
    Was anybody's watch showing 10.8k? Heard a few people say it was off but not sure was it a different finish ramp.
    Get your watch recalibrated or invest in a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

jhammer wrote: »

Woops! Meant 10.08 but either way its minimal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

10.13km for me. A bit off but not so much that I'm worried by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

10.1 for me so close enough over 10k.

Lastbuilders

Advertisement