Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use Farmers Markets and if so why?

Options
  • 19-02-2018 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

*This thread made with the help of Dizzyblonde* Thanks to her.

Hi I'm doing to short paper (well google doc) on this sector which organic food plays a part. It seemed like a good idea to mine the Food forum for it's opinions about same :)

Basically I'd like to know if you buy from Farmers Markets, if so is it for general perceived quality or a specific reason like supporting local producers, free-range, organic and so on.

Polls are not much good for multi questions so I'll ask you just copy and paste the following questions and answer them as you can.

Do you buy food from farmers markets?
    How often?
    Do you shop there more or less than 2 year ago?
    Do you shop for the following reasons (yes/no)
    support local produce
    give feedback to grower
    reduce carbon footprint
    free range
    good price for the given quality
    organic

Feel free to add any thoughts on the whole farmers market movement.

Do you use Farmers Markets 16 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

good produce but find all these farmers markets are way over priced, I can get most of the same stuff from the nearest largest town near me, great fruit and veg shop organic/non organic produce at good prices, local butcher has great meal deals, also have a great deli doing great breads..... and my sister drops in as much free range eggs we can use for free, was at the farmers market down in main point shopping centre awhile back and couldn't get over the prices been charged but the place was packed .... i suppose fools and their money are easily parted. do a little research around your local area youll be surprised what yall find feom local vendors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

How often? Try for Weekly
    Do you shop there more or less than 2 year ago? More
    support local produce yes
    give feedback to grower no
    reduce carbon footprint no
    free range yes
    good price for the given quality no
    organic yes

The main draw for us is the whole experience. We do our main shop in lidl then supplement it with the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

How often?
    support local produce
    give feedback to grower
    reduce carbon footprint
    free range
    organic

Yes
    Weekly
    On and off for 2 years
    --
    yes
    no
    no
    no
    yes
    partly

My one has parking, which is a big plus, but the selection of veg and other foods is very good. One big bonus is that I can pick and choose how many of X item I want, reducing my waste considerably in terms of leftovers, but also plastics etc. There is also a nice rapport between stall owners and customers, which you just don't get in your chain supermarkets and makes shopping a lot less stressful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes, I definitely do. However, I've moved around the world a lot over the years and I find the quality and selection very variable. If it's okay, I'll answer as if I were still living in Cork, where I most often visited famers' markets.
    How often?

If I had the time and money, once or twice a week. Realistically, it's more like once a month. They're often mid-week (the best one locally is, anyway) so I can't get there with work.

N/A in reality, but again, if I were still living in Cork, I'd say the frequency would be unchanged. I have more disposable income now than when I last lived in Cork, so I might make more of an effort to visit ones on weekends.
    support local produce

Yes

give feedback to grower

No

reduce carbon footprint

Not consciously, but that would be a nice side-effect

free range

Often, yes

Yes, especially for some artisan products that are difficult to get in supermarkets anywhere near the same quality

organic

No (I don't subscribe to the "organic is better" line of marketing).

Generally, I love famers' markets because of the buzz and the vibe. I'm thinking specifically of the one at Mahon Point in Cork, where you can get lots of great produce and meats and fish, but also lovely coffee and hot food (also, shout out to the guy who makes the green pesto who's probably reading this - got some when I was home at Christmas and it was as fabulous as ever!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Not any more.

How often?
    Two weeks

Less

support local produce - Yes.
    give feedback to grower - No
    reduce carbon footprint - No
    free range - Yes
    good price for the given quality No - way over priced
    organic - always ask before purchase

Opening hours don't suit.
    Produce seriously overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Used to shop in farmers markets but gave up as I find them too expensive. In fact I see them as a symptom of the rip off culture that became prevalent over the last 15 years. As in they are growing the stuff themselves, cutting out all the middlemen like wholesalers, distributors, supermarkets and yet they still will not deliver the customer a saving? Seems odd to me. Im talking about Dublin here so maybe there is better value in other parts of Ireland.

Same thing goes for Irish craft beer, Ive brewed myself and know well that the types of beer they produce can be made for less than 40c a pint. But in Irish supermarkets & offies it is always priced much higher than imported beers which have all the extra costs of shipping which is not cheap when done by weight. Offies call 4 x 330ml bottles of craft beer for a tenner a "special offer", this is far from my understanding of how cheap it is to brew good beer, I could make the same quantity for around a euro.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Do you buy food from farmers markets? Yes
    How often? Try to every 2 weeks
    Do you shop there more or less than 2 year ago? Same
    support local produce yes
    give feedback to grower yes
    reduce carbon footprint no
    free range yes
    good price for the given quality yes
    organic yes

I like a bit of variety. There was a paella woman at our local one for a while, but her prices went up quickly. Sadly, she's gone now. So if we eat there, it's either a gluten free curry, stir-fry or pizza. No burgers, which is a pity. There is a butcher, but because he sells uncooked burgers, they won't have another stall selling the same thing. Butcher doesn't sell sausages because of a Jane Russell stall doing hot dogs. A bit mad, but that's the way they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd happily shop at a farm shop, if there were one near me, but any "farmers" markets I've attended have been a complete disappointment. Overpriced "artisan" produce, with much of the organic veg imported, not that I buy into the whole organic thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I shop weekly in the small Cork city centre Saturday market.

I go specifically for apples and eggs. I can't get the same quality in supermarkets. Price is good too. Sometimes cider vinegar too.

Occasionally pick up other veg if it looks good and is reasonably priced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I never shop at farmers' markets because I think the products are overpriced. Artisan breads, fudge, cakes etc seem to be shockingly expensive. I don't think there's a decent market in North County Dublin where I live though, so maybe I'd feel different if there was.

I do support local though, I buy the bulk of my food shopping in an independent supermarket who buy from local growers/suppliers. If I come across a farm shop I'll buy from them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thanks for the feedback so far :)
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Used to shop in farmers markets but gave up as I find them too expensive. In fact I see them as a symptom of the rip off culture that became prevalent over the last 15 years. As in they are growing the stuff themselves, cutting out all the middlemen like wholesalers, distributors, supermarkets and yet they still will not deliver the customer a saving? Seems odd to me. Im talking about Dublin here so maybe there is better value in other parts of Ireland.

Broadly I suspect there is an element of price gouging based on supposed exclusivity of some sort but I'll note that small scale producers are not at an advantage when it comes to costs. Larger growers can get the price per unit down relative to a small grower through large scale deals re compost, seeds, seedlings, machinery to automate production v manual labour on small holding (cost per harvested kilo is very important for the retail price). Wholesalers operate on tiny margins they work on turnover, that's true of most supermarket chains (1-2%) so the notional savings of selling direct are over-estimated by most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

How often? About twice a month
    Do you shop there more or less than 2 year ago? The same
    support local produce Yes
    give feedback to grower Yes
    reduce carbon footprint Yes
    free range No
    good price for the given quality. Quality is good but you do pay extra
    organic No

Feel free to add any thoughts on the whole farmers market movement:
    I just like the atmosphere. Some of the produce is much better than supermarket stuff so I don't mind paying a little extra for this e.g. cured meats, mushrooms, fresh fish. Can reduce the amount of plastic we use by not buying veg individually wrapped etc. which is a big plus

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Artisan breads, fudge, cakes etc seem to be shockingly expensive.
    Several times I have passed by stalls and thought "that is not a bad price at all for once", only to cop on the price was per slice of cake, rather than the full thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Muahahaha wrote: »

Same thing goes for Irish craft beer, Ive brewed myself and know well that the types of beer they produce can be made for less than 40c a pint. But in Irish supermarkets & offies it is always priced much higher than imported beers which have all the extra costs of shipping which is not cheap when done by weight. Offies call 4 x 330ml bottles of craft beer for a tenner a "special offer", this is far from my understanding of how cheap it is to brew good beer, I could make the same quantity for around a euro.

The squeeze supermarkets put on suppliers esp of large scale veg is unreal, supermarkets use it to get people in the door giving primary producers v little margin over production. A person selling at a market I assume must pay rental/or rate? And has other overheads such as transport to directly deal with. Not saying some dont charge too much but generally the supermarkets can get their shelves filled for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I don’t. Simply because I don’t trust the source, and in my experience they are a lot more expensive for not a great deal better quality than in a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I never shop at farmers' markets because I think the products are overpriced. Artisan breads, fudge, cakes etc seem to be shockingly expensive. I don't think there's a decent market in North County Dublin where I live though, so maybe I'd feel different if there was.

I do support local though, I buy the bulk of my food shopping in an independent supermarket who buy from local growers/suppliers. If I come across a farm shop I'll buy from them too.

There's a big margin on this sort of thing, no question about it Even in shops some local producers charge a premium which is hard to overlook regardless of the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I like going to them for more ready to eat food rather than ingredients so I cant really comment on the questions. Sorry
    rubadub wrote: »
    Several times I have passed by stalls and thought "that is not a bad price at all for once", only to cop on the price was per slice of cake, rather than the full thing!

I used to help my sister on a bakery stall she used to have. Most of her loaf cakes would be around three euro and she would constantly get "sure you cant be making profit out of that!"
    People were so used to being over charged for them she had to convince them otherwise!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How often? At least twice a month

support local produce. Very big yes!

give feedback to grower, No.

free range Yes

good price for the given quality Yes

organic Sometimes.

I like meeting the producers and supporting local people where I can. And some of the items are hard to source elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes
    How often?
    currently monthly but that will increase as the weather gets better
    The same

support local produce
    Yes

give feedback to grower
    No

reduce carbon footprint
    yes

free range
    Yes - this is one of the main reasons

no

organic
    no
    Feel free to add any thoughts on the whole farmers market movement
    The main bonus for us, besides from an animal welfare viewpoint, is that we like our toddler to see where food comes from. Nothing overly packaged, this lady makes the yoghurt, this man grew these tomatoes etc He's also much more likely to taste new things if buying them was an exciting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think the issue of produce being overly expensive really depends on the market and the individual trader. I don't think it's fair to paint them all with the same brush.

In my local small market I can buy 10 Irish apples for €2.50. That's cheaper than most supermarket apples and the quality is way, way better. Also 75 cl of proper cider vinegar for €5 is excellent value.

Good value in fish there too.

€2 for 6 very fresh free range (probably organic but not certified) eggs can't be argued with either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sometimes
    How often?
    Very infrequently - maybe once every few months
    About the same
    support local produce
    Yes

give feedback to grower
    No

reduce carbon footprint
    yes

free range
    No

No

organic

No

The reason I don't really use them for my regular shop the way I would have done at home is because the "farmer's markets" down here in Cork seems to be little more than a euphemism for "conglomeration of food stalls". There's very, very little actual produce being sold, and what is being sold is far more expensive and of poorer quality than in the shops.
    It's a crying shame, really, I do miss the markets from back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Shenshen wrote: »
    the "farmer's markets" down here in Cork seems to be little more than a euphemism for "conglomeration of food stalls". There's very, very little actual produce being sold, and what is being sold is far more expensive and of poorer quality than in the shops.

I'd agree with this, and I rarely use the pop-up style markets, but I use the English Market a lot. I don't know if you consider that a Farmer's Market, OP, although Bord Bia does...https://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/aboutfood/farmersmarkets/pages/default.aspx.

How often? Most weeks

support local produce. Yes

give feedback to grower, No

free range Yes

good price for the given quality Sometimes

organic No

I love the quality of the meat and the pricing is mostly good value in the butchers I buy from. Mainly I like the reduction of packaging. I can stick everything in a bag I bring myself and I can avoid extraneous plastics.

I love the Aldi super-six, but sometimes I just cannot justify the ridiculous amount over over-packaging for cheap vegetables!

Malari wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, and I rarely use the pop-up style markets, but I use the English Market a lot. I don't know if you consider that a Farmer's Market, OP, although Bord Bia does...https://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/aboutfood/farmersmarkets/pages/default.aspx.

I wouldn't really, there's only 2 vegetable shops and one of those definitely sells fruit and veg supermarket-style.

I've heard of a farm shop today from a colleagues, it's down near Nohoval. I'm planning on checking it out on the weekend, though it's a bit of a treck.

I wouldn't really, there's only 2 vegetable shops and one of those definitely sells fruit and veg supermarket-style.

I've heard of a farm shop today from a colleagues, it's down near Nohoval. I'm planning on checking it out on the weekend, though it's a bit of a treck.

I'm sure there's more than just 2? :confused:

Malari wrote: »
    I'm sure there's more than just 2? :confused:

Not last time I was there - which, granted, was maybe 6 months ago.
    There's the health-food type place up near the part where they're selling chickens and eggs, and the supermarket-type down by the other entrance.

Not last time I was there - which, granted, was maybe 6 months ago.
    There's the health-food type place up near the part where they're selling chickens and eggs, and the supermarket-type down by the other entrance.

I guess I auto-pilot to the places I need to go to and don't notice other spots. I'll have to check next week when I'm in!

Advertisement