Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike sqeaking going over bumps

• 19-02-2018 7:00pm

My bike (gsxr) has recently started sqeaking really badly going over bumps , it sounds like it's coming from the rear. There's no loose bodywork or anything and the chain is only new.

Wondering what my options are here, is there anything common that would cause this? The last thing I want to be doing is taking the whole swingarm linkage apart to grease it. Anyone experienced this before . Doesn't even look like I can oil the shock without taking the wheel off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The last thing I want to be doing is taking the whole swingarm linkage apart to grease it. Anyone experienced this before . Doesn't even look like I can oil the shock without taking the wheel off

I was thinking the linkage myself and I'd consider it as it's routine maintenance. If it's not done at home, you need to have it checked at least by a pro.

Below is the detritus that came out of the linkage in my RSV Mille a few years ago...

442217.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Spring/suspension.

All the grit and dirt from the roads doesn't help.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was thinking the linkage myself and I'd consider it as it's routine maintenance. If it's not done at home, you need to have it checked at least by a pro.

Below is the detritus that came out of the linkage in my RSV Mille a few years ago...

442217.JPG

How much was it for the rebuid kit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you checked the chain for tight spots?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you checked the chain for tight spots?

No I was only thinking that, i'l check it tomorrow. Would be raging if there were because the chain is only new. Do you think a loose chain could cause sqeaking? It might be a tad loose but I didn't think that would cause a sqeak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No I was only thinking that, i'l check it tomorrow. Would be raging if there were because the chain is only new. Do you think a loose chain could cause sqeaking? It might be a tad loose but I didn't think that would cause a sqeak

Loose would rattle, thigh will squeak. Did you set the chain up with someone sitting on the bike? What seems like a lot of slack could be taken up when sat on. Was the squeak there before the chain was replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm thinking tight spot would be the easiest to rule out.

And after the last few weeks of road gritting if you're not on top cleaning the grit/salt off your chain it'll be destroyed in days (even a new chain).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

suspension linkage

Del2005 wrote: »
    Loose would rattle, thigh will squeak. Did you set the chain up with someone sitting on the bike? What seems like a lot of slack could be taken up when sat on. Was the squeak there before the chain was replaced?

Did as per the manual which specified to be done with no one on the bike

No it wasn't but the chain has been on for 4 months I'd say and this has only happened last month and a half id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Stop going over bumps! Sorted

Can you not tell what it is by bouncing the bike when parked?

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Stop going over bumps! Sorted

Can you not tell what it is by bouncing the bike when parked?

Tried this and nothing, was hoping doing this would give an indication alright

Well it probably does that it's not the shock

Tried this and nothing, was hoping doing this would give an indication alright

Well it probably does that it's not the shock

Well then the bikes fine and you're actually squeaking over bumps.

Well then the bikes fine and you're actually squeaking over bumps.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It would probably make sense at this point to strip the swing arm and linkage and shock and see what is making noise if you can catch them in time the needle roller bearings may be serviceable. If they are bad then they will be affecting the suspension action and may even start to wear through the pivots which can be much more costly.
    Grease is usually in short supply when they are assembled so it makes sense to strip, and fully grease with waterproof grease to make sure that they are fit for the summer.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It would probably make sense at this point to strip the swing arm and linkage and shock and see what is making noise if you can catch them in time the needle roller bearings may be serviceable. If they are bad then they will be affecting the suspension action and may even start to wear through the pivots which can be much more costly.
    Grease is usually in short supply when they are assembled so it makes sense to strip, and fully grease with waterproof grease to make sure that they are fit for the summer.

I think you are right, struggling online to find a linkage rebuild kit which I thought would be common

I think you are right, struggling online to find a linkage rebuild kit which I thought would be common

What year?
    Have a look on CMSNL.com and you can find the sizes of the bearings and seals, then ring a bearing place Reliance etc and see if they have them, if they don't you can try some of the big UK places and they will definitely have them.
    Failing that Suzuki genuine might be an option as well, they may not be as expensive from the dealer as you think.

Other than squeaking are there any other symptoms? It might just be general wear and tear and nothing to be too alarmed about.

Other than squeaking are there any other symptoms? It might just be general wear and tear and nothing to be too alarmed about.

Stuff shouldn't squeak though, it means there is a lack of lubrication which affects the function of the suspension as well, well lubed linkages and swingarms should be plush and smooth not squeaky and stiff.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Stuff shouldn't squeak though, it means there is a lack of lubrication which affects the function of the suspension as well, well lubed linkages and swingarms should be plush and smooth not squeaky and stiff.

Sure but I wouldn't strip the swingarm linkage and shock because of an unidentifiable squeak, motorbikes squeak whether they're supposed to or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How much was it for the rebuid kit?

I checked back over my records and I paid just shy of £60 for six bearings, and six seals through SimplyBearings. They're universal bearings and seals but I have no idea if you'd be able to use them for your bike. I enjoyed doing the job. I recommend just trying to lube up the ones you have and go from there as it's a maintenance item regardless of whether they've failed on you.

I used a marine trailer grease and I was able to get some nylon shims to take slop out of the linkage too.

• Advertisement

Sure but I wouldn't strip the swingarm linkage and shock because of an unidentifiable squeak, motorbikes squeak whether they're supposed to or not.

Yeah but the fact it's only just started and wasn't there before. I think I'll try deep clean and a bit of oil and if that fails take the swingarm off and try and get at the bushes with grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

not mine

Advertisement