Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm amazed it even got two thanks, such is the sh1tstorm that breaks out if someone's being pessimistic here.

I just gave it the second "thanks" a few minutes ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

highdef wrote: »
    I just gave it the second "thanks" a few minutes ago!!
    LOL :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BBC Weather being a little cautious and not showing anything too calamitous for Ireland.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/965944548877840384

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The BBC don't acknowledge Ireland with forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭easyvision

In fairness, I would be highly surprised if this was another 2010. Expecting a downgrade in a few days to sleet and no snow for DUB as usual hahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

easyvision wrote: »
    In fairness, I would be highly surprised if this was another 2010. Expecting a downgrade in a few days to sleet and no snow for DUB as usual hahah

Instant Ban!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I refuse to believe any of this until I see snow chains in dealz for 1.49

They wont make it to the shelfs ,
    • Airport will be shut because of the amount of snow on the runway
    • Roads closed
    • Staff snowed in

*Disclaimer , Im messing :pac::pac::pac::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    BBC Weather being a little cautious and not showing anything too calamitous for Ireland.

Why would the BRITISH broacasting corporation have IRELAND in their forecast;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

What's the basis for your thinking? Any evidence to support your theory that a downgrade is imminent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

highdef wrote: »
    What's the basis for your thinking? Any evidence to support your theory that a downgrade is imminent?

probably a lifetime of living in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pad199207 wrote: »
    Instant Ban!

I think he's using reverse psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

ha ha get-the-fck-outta-here-memes-com-17764219.png

I do like the graphics that the BBC weatherman was playing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't want to be the negative nanny here and for what it is worth I am saying a 65% chance now of a real cold and potentially snowy spells next week BUT!!

Many of us has seen easterly setups where the UK gets what is often referred to as "our snow", now the current models don't suggest us loosing out and the UK seeing all the fun but it can happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

https://imgflip.com/i/fw795

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

That’s not a forecast
    It’s an explanation of where our air is coming from next week and what it could do
    He says he doesn’t know in answer to any specific question but that we’ll keep you updated
    Mt is the same except he and others here discuss charts of the day and what they would specifically do if verified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Villain wrote: »
    I don't want to be the negative nanny here and for what it is worth I am saying a 65% chance now of a real cold and potentially snowy spells next week BUT!!

Many of us has seen easterly setups where the UK gets what is often referred to as "our snow", now the current models don't suggest us loosing out and the UK seeing all the fun but it can happen!

Yeah, but this time it really is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I will take your 65% which is very good at this range. My biggest fear is the cold heading south into Spain and France so hopefully no sign of that in today's runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pangea wrote: »
    Does anyone recall the mini ice age East Ulster had back in 2013 while the rest of us got nothing.
    Nothing in terms of snow. Quite a lot for Dublin/ North Wicklow in terms of rain iirc! I think there was some epic commute times heading south out of Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

been there many times and it's painful. That's why i'm still very cautious about this beast until the weekend.

Once the beast doesn't sink south-westwards into Spain and Portugal we should be ok as long as pressure isn't too high over us and the Atlantic muck staying far away out to our west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I will take your 65% which is very good at this range. My biggest fear is the cold heading south into Spain and France so hopefully no sign of that in today's runs.
    Indeed it would be, by pressure building over Ireland more rather than Iceland/Scandinavia and also reducing potential precipitation. If this event evolves slowly, it's not a bad sign if it deepens the cold air pool. Just so long as the HP aligns the way we'd like it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

The purple shading in southwest England, -14 !!!

ukmintemp.png

Forgive me but -5 isn’t that extreme or is this an average over the week? I was under the impression we were talking a possible -10 and lower. I remember -18 in Athlone in 2010.

Also thanks to all on here for providing us with the updates on charts etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Why would the BRITISH broacasting corporation have IRELAND in their forecast;)

Because they own the top right hand corner of the island....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Forgive me but -5 isn’t that extreme or is this an average over the week? I was under the impression we were talking a possible -10 and lower. I remember -18 in Athlone in 2010.

Also thanks to all on here for providing us with the updates on charts etc.

Read the following posts after the image you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We will be able to be firmer on details as events creep in to the range of the higher resolution short range models.

tempresult_hio7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

We will be able to be firmer on details as events creep in to the range of the higher resolution short range models.

tempresult_hio7.gif

Jesus thats so impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭easyvision

Originally Posted by easyvision View Post
    In fairness, I would be highly surprised if this was another 2010. Expecting a downgrade in a few days to sleet and no snow for DUB as usual haha[/QUOTE]

Only because Im used to things failing! i told a few people round me and there just laughing saying, nah won't happen, sure its nearly Spring etc etc. I would be happy with any sticking snow in DUB. has been a looooong time since I saw any proper snow, south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Because they own the top right hand corner of the island....?

Ahem some would say they occupy it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tempresult_hio7.gif

is it going to keep coming our way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lawred2 wrote: »
    is it going to keep coming our way?

Yes but the model only runs to 120 hrs, next update shortly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement