Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Like 40cm of snow, in Dublin? Come on.

Now that's a bit disingenuous!! Please go back and read what MT actually said!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Somebody please post the 18Z GFS +192 chart so we can also get carried away again. Wow

I prefer the +198 one :)

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Like 40cm of snow, in Dublin? Come on.

Your messing Sryan yeah?
    He never said that, please re-read it and you will see that is incorrect and not a fair comment to attribute to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Most likely ETA of the very cold air is Sunday night viewed model wide.

A few hours here or there makes little difference to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Jumpinjames

Rougies wrote: »
    It's perfectly plausible. We got about 30cm twice in South Dublin in Dec 2010, in fact the second big fall was probably about 35cm. Get under a decent streamer for hours and 40cm is easily done.

I measured 29 cm of level snow in the middle of a large green space in clondalkin in December 2010. It’s plausible that snow depths in some areas were 30 to 40 cms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Is the high heading toward Greenland on this run? I don't understand why people are being so negative when we are seeing stellar charts for cold and snow.
    Ok. We probably won't get a foot and a half of snow out of it(we knew deep down there would be downgrades from the dream charts), but there will be decent accumulations if charts don't downgrade massively in the next few days.

What’s happening in this thread with some,I call Celtic tiger disease
    The need to have everything now
    No looking at the wood for the trees
    This event and let us call it that is happening
    Runs need to be seen where they are in their group of ensemble members
    Where they are with respect to other models and how they and their companions are performing elsewhere in the northern hemisphere
    There’s no picking up some positive or negative bone and running away with it

Enjoy

God be with the days when all we had were lads with pointy sticks to go on and trouble pronouncing Russian cities

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Did you even read the link you posted?

"would suggest that most of Leinster could see amounts in the range of 10 to 40 cms of snow, heavier amounts in streamer bands"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

30cm here the first time in December 2010, 35cm + the second time, like rougies said if you get stuck under a streamer these totals are possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

How about Clare do ye reckon Clare will get any snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Your messing Sryan yeah?
    He never said that, please re-read it and you will see that is incorrect and not a fair comment to attribute to him.

I think a good night sleep is certainly in order for me because I am certainly losing my mind here, don't ya think? Like what the actual crap am I saying here? What has gone over me?

P.S. I love MT and I'm very sorry for my ridiculous behaviour here tonight.

Great forecast from Tomaz on bbc one now
    Super clear and explanatory graphics with a huge globe explaining subtle nuances governing how cold it’s going to get and how much snow

The stand out comment from him was ‘once this easterly sets in (whether northeasterly or southeasterly too at times) it’s going to be with us a long long time
    As I said Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How about Clare do ye reckon Clare will get any snow?

We simply do not know, less likely than eastern and southern counties however.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

"realize this is not a forecast but rather an interpretation assuming models are right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The ratio of predicted snow showers on these boards to actual snow showers is about 20:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I prefer the +198 one :)

h850t850eu.png
    That's a very very dry feed of cold air. It's a good prospect though, a different evolution of the HP altogether though it doesn't develop such a solid block considering the easterlies would be almost gusty from those tight isobars.

If the dewpoints are low and low saturation of upper levels, we'd want the cold air to cool those jets. But this is 8 days away and much of the finer details about snowfall will have to wait till Friday at least.

I measured 29 cm of level snow in the middle of a large green space in clondalkin in December 2010. It’s plausible that snow depths in some areas were 30 to 40 cms.

Indeed I had just shy of 18 inches by Xmas eve here near Arklow,I still use old money
    Anyhow I’m out for now
    Maybe more tomorrow !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I'd say we are all a bit Giddy lately :-) no ones sleeping (too busy watching charts) and we are afraid to believe the charts we see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I can't remember how much we had in cork city in 2010, I was only 10 at the time but I can't remember anything notable besides freezing cold, water to my house being Frozen in the pipes and haivng to salt my driveway!

Either way I think we will all be happy once cork gets something out of this, I'd say you are sick of us at this stage with our 'Snowshield' shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Youngpensioner

Indeed I had just shy of 18 inches by Xmas eve here near Arklow,I still use old money
    Anyhow I’m out for now
    Maybe more tomorrow !

What altitude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

just saw some footage on youtube of a bbc forecast from the 80's. God I used to love those graphics- black cloud outline with 1,2,or 3 white snowflakes showing the level of snow falls expected. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So we could go from sub zero to just a few chilly days. Would be great to see it unfold worse than predicted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A balmy end to the 18z run as muck gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think after this evenings model runs ‘Caution amongst all the madness’ is the theme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Original post created 18.40 yesterday.

835 posts responding in 28 hours

Is this a boards record?

If you go by number of replies in 24 hours, this had better be one hell of a weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Anyone care to offer an opinion on current Irish Sea temps and what role this may have in this forthcoming cold snap?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

I think a good night sleep is certainly in order for me because I am certainly losing my mind here, don't ya think? Like what the actual crap am I saying here? What has gone over me?

P.S. I love MT and I'm very sorry for my ridiculous behaviour here tonight.

Well fair play to you, thats also a big statement. But a very decent and honest one!
    Im not one to talk, i was banned in 2011 for 2 days for throwing my toys out of my pram when my snow never arrived :-(

Chasing snow In Ireland, nobody said it would be easy!

What altitude?

162ft 2 miles from the Irish Sea
    There was as much in the town itself and on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A balmy end to the 18z run.

Something Gaoth Laidir didn't point out about the GFS, as well as a penchant for overdoing the depth of cold, it is also progressive in bringing back the Atlantic in these situations. I recall it doing the same during the March 2013 easterly, only for it to backtrack on a few occasions. I would go with the UK Met office thinking on this; which is, the block, once in place, will be hard to shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Anyone care to offer an opinion on current Irish Sea temps and what role this may have in this forthcoming cold snap?

The Irish Sea is 7-8 °C. As long as there's at least a 13-degree difference between it and around 850 hPa temperature then sea-effect precipitation is possible. The problem is with levels above that. If the high sticks around and keeps that inversion in place then convection won't be deep enough for more than light showers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement