Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Youngpensioner

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    'at a beach' ffs he said 2 miles inland. Look up how localized steamers and associated depths can be, I live at 40m asl not inland far and recorded 35cm or maybe even 40, I have a pics somewhere. Villian posted his above.

He said it was the same in the town and the beach. No need to curse. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I was stocking up the woodstore and tried four wicklow based suppliers who all told me they had nothing left "because of the weather forum".
    Not the possibility of snow but the weather forum. Does this mean that the forum is now as important as the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

yournerd wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what’s happening Sunday???

Jerry Murphy is addressing the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    I was stocking up the woodstore and tried four wicklow based suppliers who all told me they had nothing left "because of the weather forum".
    Not the possibility of snow but the weather forum. Does this mean that the forum is now as important as the weather?

We're actually now a supplier of wood. We own the market.

How much do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

He said it was the same in the town and the beach. No need to curse. Thank you.

Okay he made it all up for fun then...

• Advertisement

I doubt anyone measured it with the correct techniques.

Take measurements away from decks, porches or fences and you should not measure snowfall more than four times in 24 hours. You should measure snow to the nearest tenth of an inch and use a snow board. A snow board is just a two foot by two foot piece of plywood.

Measuring all the way to the ground can inaccurately inflate the snow depth amount. Snowfall is the accumulation of new snow and ice (ice pellets [sleet], graupel, snow pellets) since the last observation, prior to melting or settling. Measure snowfall to the nearest 0.1 (one-tenth) inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

On the other hand it’s below zero here now. Start of some serious night frosts ahead I’d imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I can't remember how much we had in cork city in 2010, I was only 10 at the time but I can't remember anything notable besides freezing cold, water to my house being Frozen in the pipes and haivng to salt my driveway!

Either way I think we will all be happy once cork gets something out of this, I'd say you are sick of us at this stage with our 'Snowshield' shenanigans!

We had about 8 cms lying throughout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Mr Bumble wrote: »

That is hilarious 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Youngpensioner, please just respect what people are saying as the majority of regular posters on this forum are very trustworthy and well respected and I can't see why somebody would lie about something that they measured? It's getting very annoying and this thread is being totally derailed. As an observer I'd much rather see the charts being discussed then arguing over how much snow somebody measured in 2010 or not, that's for a totally different thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Take measurements away from decks, porches or fences and you should not measure snowfall more than four times in 24 hours. You should measure snow to the nearest tenth of an inch and use a snow board. A snow board is just a two foot by two foot piece of plywood.

Measuring all the way to the ground can inaccurately inflate the snow depth amount. Snowfall is the accumulation of new snow and ice (ice pellets [sleet], graupel, snow pellets) since the last observation, prior to melting or settling. Measure snowfall to the nearest 0.1 (one-tenth) inch.

Goes out to get plywood for next week so there won’t be any rows .....

Lads, I'm as determined as all of you to get to the bottom of how much snow was on that beach eight years ago, but lets try to get back to it once the current apocalypse has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This is a thread for next week, not who can use a ruler!! But I can assure you my measurements and photos were correct, even if they don’t suit your argument :p

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I'll bet he lives in Donegal

Just make sure to measure your snow in the coming weeks to avoid arguments about it a decade later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

I had 3 to 4 feet in 2010. I didn't measure it but i'm 6ft 6in and it was as high as below. Altitude 350m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

These are charts from almost 55 years ago to the day, yes Feb 1963, i remember the time well, maybe some of our resident chart experts may see some similarities to what has been predicted?
    http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/49432-the-severe-winter-1962-63-a-special-report-with-times-articles/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You might think 8 C would turn off the snow machine, but the heaviest snow squalls over the Great Lakes occur in Nov to early Jan when lake temperatures are typically falling from 8 C to 4 C, and -12 C uppers would be considered fairly strong (they can get down into the -20 range in extreme cases).

The main point is that some snow seems inevitable, heavier outbreaks will depend on getting either a steady moderate east wind or transient features in the broad easterly flow, or approaching boundary lows that don't push too close to disrupt the arctic air at the surface.

Another thing I wanted to mention was that it's sometimes better to compare model runs of the same time to get a better sense of trends. For example, with the 18z GFS compare it to yesterday's 18z GFS as well as the 12z GFS. (because different timed runs have different operational input so straight comparison only valid in fast-changing dynamic situations like a strong low approaching).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm sorry (again) that I'm still not asleep guys but I am getting super annoyed here, it's unreal.

Youngpensioner copied word for word from the link below:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/how-to-accurately-measure-snow/4878639

Case closed.

I had 3 to 4 feet in 2010. I didn't measure it but i'm 6ft 6in and it was as high as below. Altitude 350m asl.

hahaha

Nice groin shot, dude. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Over 45cm seems a highly excessive. Are you sure you measure it correctly? 24cm was the highest recorded in wicklow by Met Éireann, 10 minute drive up the road from Arklow. Almost double? Have my doubts. The other station in wicklow highest recorded was 18cm. Sources met Éireann website major weather events 2010.

Well you weren’t in the Jeep with me when I drove from Arklow to jack whites on Xmas day
    I can assure you
    Huge difference in snow depths in just what 5 or six miles
    Would you like me to post the photo’s I posted here then on this forum?
    Seriously go learn a bit about how weather varies inside and outside shower trains
    You’ve posted stuff earlier about how great yr no is that was just plain ignorance tbh so I’m not surprised with the above equally ill informed comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

which in turn led to this https://digitalfilmarchive.net/media/super-8-stories-the-big-freeze-642
    an old Super8 of nearby Castlewellan near Newcastle Co. Down. Like most towns and villages here access was only by track machines and as can be seen here helicopters.
    Was the worst snow in my living memory.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm sorry (again) that I'm still not asleep guys but I am getting super annoyed here, it's unreal.

Youngpensioner totally used his knowledge of measuring snow correctly and didn't copy word for word from the link below (sarcasm):

Case closed.

Actually I got it from NOAA. I see you're still annoyed about being wrong regarding ECM being the best model. Good night

Lads, the GEFS ensembles shows the north west getting plastered in snow deep in FI. Talk about that instead.

gens-0-2-348.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I wonder what kind of memes and viral media stuff we might get...

E.g man smacking his head on ice and
    Paul Cunninghams weird wool hat back in the 2010.

Ahh those were the days,Anne Doyle with a face like a block of frozen wood on the 9 o clock news,with the entire news bulletin taken over by the big freeze.

John killrain standing on a flyover on the m50 and Samantha labrayrea out at Dublin airport talking through her teeth.

And Jean in her spandex tinfoil space suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Anyway i think we need meteorite's fan back in here:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : Need to keep the conversation civil and less of the sarcastic comments that are beginning to derail the thread.

A long way to go with a lot of people checking in on this thread so don't make it unpleasant for others .

New Posters are asked to read the forum charter and adhere to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Speaking for myself, I am sleep deprived already, the weather forum will be a group of zombies by the time this Beasterly has been and gone!!

i-cant-sleep-quotes-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

gabeeg wrote: »
    We're actually now a supplier of wood. We own the market.

How much do you want?

Don't need any thanks, I've got wood after reading this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Joe Bastardi is saying the next 15 days for both Europe and the US are looking like the spitting image of March 1962.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement