Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Actually I got it from NOAA. I see you're still annoyed about being wrong regarding ECM being the best model. Good night

Mod Note: Need to tone it down Youngpensioner, let it go and move on. Likewise sryanbruen time to let it go and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

It is good to be back on here

Come on the snow

Snowbunny

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

These threads are the greatest on boards.ie. These are what should be used as marketing tools to get more people on here. Hopefully the actual event is as good as this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

RobertKK wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi is saying the next 15 days for both Europe and the US are looking like the spitting image of March 1962.

I remember '62..1 was 16 and so were you..

That Joe is always sensationalising. Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Awaiting the sea area forecast on Radio 1 with interest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

There will be nothing about next week yet. Sure what can they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Have parts of the Liffey in Dublin ever frozen over ???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

tiegan wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, I am sleep deprived already, the weather forum will be a group of zombies by the time this Beasterly has been and gone!!

i-cant-sleep-quotes-1.jpg

Damn it's true. I feel shattered:pac::o

Anyway to try and get back on topic, it's impressive the depth of blocking all the way out past the urals. With this in mind I just don't buy the GFS scenario. However, on the slim chance it is right, we will still get a few snowy days. I think most people will be happy. And i can finally get some sleep:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have parts of the Liffey in Dublin ever frozen???

IIRC there were chunks of ice floating down the Liffey in town

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

These threads are the greatest on boards.ie. These are what should be used as marketing tools to get more people on here. Hopefully the actual event is as good as this

What actual event? We're just driving supply and demand here. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

There will be nothing about next week yet. Sure what can they say?
    The first mention of a cold spell on Met Eireann was earlier so I keen to hear if they'd expand on that.

Alas I missed the forecast as I had to take a call... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

pad199207 wrote: »
    IIRC there were chunks of ice floating down the Liffey in town

Witnessed it myself in 2010. Large sheets of ice flowing out to sea. Paths were lethal with frozen ice that day also. And the public transport was non existent after about 3 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

It would perish the liathroige off ya out there tonight.
    As far as I am concerned Armagedden has started
    May the lord have pity on us all

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Don't need any thanks, I've got wood after reading this thread
    Burn that wood and come back here and by 3 in the morning more wood

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If this chemical cesspit could freeze over, I suspect the Liffey did somewhere too:

72051_490039957940_4752330_n.jpg?oh=492a48b802aaadf1179e510703cc5bac&oe=5B020724

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This tweet has a screengrab of Tomaz Schafenakers excellent forecast after tonight’s bbc one 10 news
    The globe leaves no doubt whatsoever about the source of next weeks air

Brrrrrrrr!!

https://twitter.com/pauldazm69/status/966072574059958272

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

This tweet has a screengrab of Tomaz Schafenakers excellent forecast after tonight’s bbc one 10 news
    The globe leaves no doubt whatsoever about the source of next weeks air

Brrrrrrrr!!

Here's the video

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Great Irish Frost of 1740 which according reports at the time ...
    wreaked utter devastation across Ireland leading to food riots, famine, epidemic and death.

And also caused the Liffey and other rivers including the Boyne to freeze over

So far we have had rioting here anyway :D

See:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/our-cold-snap-was-nothing-compared-to-the-great-irish-frost-of-1740-26609822.html

After the unexpected disappearance of our live weatherperson outdoors on the early news, we have amended the forecast as follows:

Partly cloudy, very cold, chance of polar bear encounter fatal to humans.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Subtle ramp up on the late forecast on RTE1, they're hinting more strongly at the potential for snow next week, which is about as strong as I'd expect from ME this far out, They are stronger on the cold aspect of it, which I guess is about as good as it gets for now, given that some of these changes are still nearly a week out.

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 63 in the UK, and the snowfall in 79 (again UK), and both of those years caused significant issues for large areas of the country, due to the depth and speed of the snowfall. The UKMO are not giving too many hints right now about how long this present spell of extreme cold will last, but given how large an area it covers, and the depth of the cold, it's looking like it will take a very significant event to move it on or otherwise disrupt it, and at the moment, the jet stream appears to be completely out of the picture in terms of bringing anything our way from the Atlantic.

As for exact temperatures, or snowfall, we're just going to have to be patient, there's no way this far out to be making accurate predictions of where or how much will come our way. We're just going to have to settle for having most of the right ingredients in place and appearing to be capable of delivering something out of the ordinary at some stage over the next 10 days.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Rougies wrote: »
    It's perfectly plausible. We got about 30cm twice in South Dublin in Dec 2010, in fact the second big fall was probably about 35cm. Get under a decent streamer for hours and 40cm is easily done.

And February 2009 in some south dublin locations

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Through a friend of my missus in OPW I've heard they are performing systems checks and restocking supplies at the National Emergency Co-ordination Centre in Kildare Street on the back of an advisory from Met É to the Depts of Local Government and Defence.

Despite my dogmatic belief in not getting out of bed for anything less than +48 hr charts, I did raise an eyebrow at that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Well someone has to do it :D

image-21.jpeg

sure, well they read boards, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

I was in argos today getting a couple of things for the garden and spotted a snow shovel. Been meaning to get one for year's, anyways the 2 guys at the pickup section had a good giggle at me buying a snow shovel. They obviously don't follow this thread ðŸ˜
    I'm not expecting to get to use it next week either by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Can I borrow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

aidanodr wrote: »

image-21.jpeg

The Dublin spire has taken on some interesting ice crystal formations, looks almost like a tasteful European city landmark!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

konman wrote: »
    I was in argos today getting a couple of things for the garden and spotted a snow shovel. Been meaning to get one for year's, anyways the 2 guys at the pickup section had a good giggle at me buying a snow shovel. They obviously don't follow this thread ðŸ˜
    I'm not expecting to get to use it next week either by the way.

I put Astro turf down in the back garden last year , have two dogs , the snow shovel makes for a great pooper scooper , but hopefully you will get some intended use from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Rougies wrote: »
    aidanodr wrote: »

image-21.jpeg

The Dublin spire has taken on some interesting ice crystal formations,

Sshh. Don't say that too loud or you'll have a few of the locals down licking it thinking you mean something else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Met.ie are mentioning cold next week but think showers will be isolated, and localised to the east coast.

Any reason to think that is wrong? As far as I can see (from reading here) the whole idea that we get significant snow is based on possible lake effect streamers but that’s far from guaranteed. I don’t buy the “get the cold and the snow will follow”, sometimes cold is just cold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement