Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

What a glorious day today sun shining 10 degrees depressing to think this time next week snow and ice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It was 1986. February 1986 was an extremely cold and dry month. It was the first of two exceptionally (and unusually) dry months of 1986 - the other being September. Many places had less than 10mm of rainfall throughout the month. The Irish Mean Temperature for the month was -0.5c which is -5.8c below the 1981-2010 average for February. However, this exceptional dry and cold weather came at the cost of little to no snow.

It must have been a very boring and raw month.

I'm old enough to remember it well. I particularly remember a presenter on Radio Nova moaning "will it ever end"! It was cold but I don't recall it as being overly cloudy or windy even though we were close to the coast.

Interesting forecast from the time, charts not a million miles from what we could be potentially having here soon

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

What a glorious day today sun shining 10 degrees depressing to think this time next week snow and ice

You're posting in the wrong thread buddy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

You're posting in the wrong thread buddy !!!

Why???? This is a weather forum for people who like all sorts of weather not a snow lovers forum
    Can’t stand snow probably due to the fact where I live gets quite a bit of it
    Makes life impossible give me a day like today anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Why???? This is a weather forum for people who like all sorts of weather not a snow lovers forum
    Can’t stand snow probably due to the fact where I live gets quite a bit of it
    Makes life impossible give me a day like today anyway

Wrong THREAD, not wrong board. use a different post as this is more for snow lovers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

andre2010 wrote: »
    Wrong THREAD, not wrong board. use a different post as this is more for snow lovers

Mod Note

Cut out the backseat moderating please.
    It’s not an exclusive snow lovers thread - it’s a thread to discuss and chat about the cold snap modelled for next week which is precisely what kingshankly did.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

I'm not sure exactly how to post a picture here, but I just saw a youtube video from last week from one of those crappy "news" channel's labelled

"UK set for weeks of HEAVY SNOW as rare Arctic phenomenon ‘delays Spring’
    NEWS 24"

they may not be wrong in such, but with the video been a week ago, and the fact they try to nail the coffin with an "its going to snow heavily" really annoys me, especially with the time frame the video was in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Office update for next 10 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sir0p7u7XrQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Have been watching this thread with interest, as in interest in SNOW:D.

Anyway, seeing the chopping and changing that happens with the models, would weather watchers in ,say, Australia, or somewhere in the middle of China, have the same degree of uncertainty?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Now's the time to take out "The Artic Siege" put up the Christmas tree again and have a nostalgic read....
    Log fires and fantasyisland.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Doddles88

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    My young nephew is in St Petersburg for the Celtic game tomorrow was on the phone to me earlier saying he's never felt cold like it,around -10 but feels a lot colder :eek: place is like an ice rink,all frozen

Lets pray for the right result on Thursday! Mon eh Hoops!!

Oh and anything that gets me off work next week would be welcome.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Andre2010. Before posting again, read the forum charter (...as it says/is suggested in your warning).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Great forecast from the UK met office there - shows good confidence in the deep cold sweeping in, while we are at the end of the line it's looking good for Eastern areas, nice little hints at potential troughs/features in the flow for later into the week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note

There have been a spate of off topic, trollish posts and personal attacks overnight and again this morning.

This is a busy thread and likely to get much busier as the week progresses. As a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling and flaming from now on.

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed Trolls or call them out on thread - report & let the Mod team deal with it.

Thanks

Just re-posting this, at this point, to re-iterate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember it well. I particularly remember a presenter on Radio Nova moaning "will it ever end"! It was cold but I don't recall it as being overly cloudy or windy even though we were close to the coast.

Interesting forecast from the time, charts not a million miles from what we could be potentially having here soon

This is what Met Éireann say about the sunshine in February 1986.
    There were two contrasting sunshine regimes both in terms of region and period of the month. For most of the country, sunshine hours were above normal, but for southern and eastern coastal areas values were below normal. It was very dull in the extreme south. Values varied from 141% of normal at Belmullet to 53% at Roches Point. For most areas the last decade of the month was much brighter than the preceding two.

The 500mb height anomaly for the month does seem to support this information. It also shows that if the trough or low heights to the south were a bit further northwards, it would have been a very wintry/snowy month.

88WcWxe.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

As per on thread warnings andre2010 has been given the rest of the day off ,

I would suggest reading the forum charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

If this blip of an ice age happens will the ponds and lakes be frozen over enough for it to freeze down a bit....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

So I hear there is a bit of weather on the way ,

442378.png

Credit to Richard David McCarthy @ Netweather

Rougies wrote: »
    There was an easterly like that somewhere around the early/mid nineties. I remember cycling to school into a bitter easterly wind for days on end, dull, overcast and not a flake of snow. Maybe syran could nail the year down, possibly 93/94?

Sorry Rougies but I'm struggling to find something you describe around this period of the time, is there any particular month you can remember it from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I don't know if I imagined this, but I remember snow falling in Dublin for a short while on May Day (1st May) when I was a child.

It was probably 1988 or so. Was this a figment of my imagination? I seem to recall the adults being very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

So I hear there is a bit of weather on the way ,

442378.png

Credit to Richard David McCarthy @ Netweather

I'm screaming inside but at the same time shivering at the thoughts of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sorry Rougies but I'm struggling to find something you describe around this period of the time, is there any particular month you can remember it from?

Maybe Feb 1991 was snowless in your neck of the woods?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I don't know if I imagined this, but I remember snow falling in Dublin for a short while on May Day (1st May) when I was a child.

It was probably 1988 or so. Was this a figment of my imagination? I seem to recall the adults being very surprised.

Looks a bit mild for snow - Met Éireann don't mention it either in their weather bulletin.

There has been snow in Mays before, the most notable recent one being May 1997 which I posted about very recently in the Irish Weather Statistics thread.

NOAA_1_1988050118_1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It was 1986. February 1986 was an extremely cold and dry month. It was the first of two exceptionally (and unusually) dry months of 1986 - the other being September. Many places had less than 10mm of rainfall throughout the month. The Irish Mean Temperature for the month was -0.5c which is -5.8c below the 1981-2010 average for February. However, this exceptional dry and cold weather came at the cost of little to no snow.

It must have been a very boring and raw month.

Not if you like frost. I was about 7. The frost built up so much in my parents house it looked like snow. The front garden which is north facing kept building frost all week without melt in the shadow.

I don’t recall it being gloomy. It was bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A friend of the sister put a pic up on Facebook of their thermometer in Lanzarote, they are in for a serious shock if they land in Dublin next week still in the shorts and t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

GFS 12Z advancing the cold forward a small bit again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking at the GFS youd imagine ALL of ireland will see snow by March 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Shows the big hurdles we still have to cross here....

UKMO had trended south....and ICON

However, GFS still looks good to my eye....

Key differences occur @ 96hrs

Cast your eye between Iceland and Greenland,

UW96-21.GIF?21-17

and the GFS

gfs-0-96.png?12

The angle of that WAA is crucial, if it is akin to the UKMO there is an increased risk this goes south of us, like the GFS and we are still game on....nervous moments...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not liking ICON or UKMO looks cold and dry. GFS looking good. As said many times let's get the cold in first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement