Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork981 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying we should add +10 degrees to the 850hPa temperatures to get rough ground temperature ?

Yes for daytime, nighttime temps will normally be colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Boom

ECM0-168.GIF?21-0

ECM1-168.GIF?21-0

Step in the "right" direction. Winds will go northerly there after. Long way to go yet.

And it should ensure the cold sustains for longer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

In a nutshell, what is happening next week? I'm no weather chart reader :)

alc2.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Analysing each run is the best part. When there is a chance of snow each run is like cocaine to me

thatrs why it's called snow by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Superb 850's at +168, country engulfed in -12- 13c, any slight shift north from this ECM run and we are in a very snowy setup so it's very much on the table (not that this run would be dry). Gefs back this option too, come on UKMO join the party in the morning...

168_mslp850uk.png?cb=38

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I'm already building etra flexitime in work, I need at least two afternoons with off shore breeze or glassy beaches, a nice swell hitting the beaches in Clare and I'll be happy.

My 6 millimeter wetsuit needs a workout and I love surfing in the cold as the waters lovely.

It's looking good from here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The EC does reinforce a 'theme' though and you could easily see it reinforced on the 0z. Ensembles will be interesting. Regardless the outcome is very cold but I think we'd all prefer a clean margin less easterly than a quick transition to a northeasterly with a large mild sector..

It's all routes lead to cold though

Coldest uppers have sunk south at day 8, reload probable from the north - Slack winds and low pressure over snow cover, this is where you see very low night time minima.

ECM1-192.GIF?21-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Superb 850's at +168, country engulfed in -12- 13c, any slight shift north from this ECM run and we are in a very snowy setup so it's very much on the table (not that this run would be dry). Gefs back this option too, come on UKMO join the party in the morning...

168_mslp850uk.png?cb=38

The 12z gfs for 12pm next Wednesday looks nothing like the Ecm you've posted, anyway the gfs looks a bit wonky with a shallow low developing out of knowhere

typhoony wrote: »
    The 12z gfs for 12pm next Wednesday looks nothing like the Ecm you've posted, anyway the gfs looks a bit wonky with a shallow low developing out of knowhere

I don't expect they will look alike for a few runs either, lots more twists to come- as had been said though, all routes lead to cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Here's a snow event on day 9

ECM1-216.GIF?21-0

Good run. As mentioned though, tight margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

MET Eireann ramping now on RTE even though they reckon it will be very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Jesus, if 216 and 240 verified we'd be buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Snow machine forms right over Ireland at the end. Very nice from the ECM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest high resolution NMM (850 hpa temperatures) to Monday 1 pm, on track...

tempresult_vtg0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

MET Eireann ramping now on RTE even though they reckon it will be very dry.

They mean very dry for most of the country
    They’re only looking at Irish Sea convection at the moment in the outer ranges of of their forecast range

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is everyone firing on all cylinders again then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

When yis say day one, is that referring to Monday the start of the cold weather? And day nine is nine days after that? And so on and so forth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Rougies wrote: »
    Jesus, if 216 and 240 verified we'd be buried.

Disappointing run tbh, still the theme of cold deflected south and eastward. 216 and 240 is la la land and can be ignored. I'm not happy. We get colder yes, but it's dry and not bitter cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I may be reading it wrong but the ECM looks like having small low dumping a good load of snow over Ireland towards the end of next week. FI obviously but still. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

EC is a no dramas run. Phew apologies for my earlier post. EC is steady good. Going with 0z mean etc.

One thing I've learned in my few years forecasting ... the so called Experts do not analyse the models as much as we do... and for a reason

I’d love to do an Ask Me Anything thread : with a forecaster from ME

emo72 wrote: »
    When yis say day one, is that referring to Monday the start of the cold weather? And day nine is nine days after that? And so on and so forth?

Day one is today. Day two tomorrow etc

lawred2 wrote: »

The air/fuel ratio on one of mine needs a bit of adjustment, but otherwise chugging along nicely. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

lawred2 wrote: »

I haven't a clue about charts, but loving the rollercoaster ride of this thread.

Kudos to Kermit for putting his proverbials on the chopping block so often this winter.

Hope this last one goes off big style!

Disappointing run tbh, still the theme of cold deflected south and eastward. 216 and 240 is la la land and can be ignored. I'm not happy. We get colder yes, but it's dry and not bitter cold.

It's a big improvement on the 00z and isn't far off synoptic perfection with a few small tweaks. (a very good run in its own right) if you're disappointed with that you will never be pleased.

I'm not sure how you can call it a disappointing run with what's on offer. It's an exciting run.

Maybe disappointing compared to some of the crazy runs two days ago, but imagine you never saw those and tonight's run came out of nowhere, you'd be more than happy!

The EC does reinforce a 'theme' though and you could easily see it reinforced on the 0z. Ensembles will be interesting. Regardless the outcome is very cold but I think we'd all prefer a clean margin less easterly than a quick transition to a northeasterly with a large mild sector..

It's all routes lead to cold though

Yes, but it tends to be within such fine margins we tend to get epic snowfalls. Even though i'm not seeing it all that marginal. At the very very worst we'll end up with dry and cold weather with just a little snow, but the potential for something significnt is there. It's exciting and nerve wracking to follow for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

We are 100 pages in, and 5 days out. Any1 willing to do a recap, a state of play perhaps?
    There's some weather coming next week.

• Advertisement

It would be great just once to go to bed knowing it will be snowing the next day. No ifs, Buts, dps,wet bulb . Just "tomorrow heavy snow" end of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement