Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It would also be great for me to get my homework done here than keep procrastinating and looking at the charts or threads :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It would also be great for me to get my homework done here than keep procrastinating and looking at the charts or threads :D.

You leaving cert this year ??

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

It would be great just once to go to bed knowing it will be snowing the next day. No ifs, Buts, dps,wet bulb . Just "tomorrow heavy snow" end of.

Never going to happen in somewhere like Ireland unfortunately, bar some sort of ice age. :P That's just the nature of our climate, being as maritime and Atlantic-dominated as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You leaving cert this year ??

No, next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

No, next year.

The way you can find/remember historical facts i wouldnt be to worried about it. Any way you'll probably be off school next week you can catch up then:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Could you put it down as science and Geography study? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

No, next year.

If your input here is anything to go by you'll sail through it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No, next year.

Wow, you have some meteorological knowledge for your age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

[Mod Snip] sbryanruen; you must be a meteorological prodigy/nerd or pulling the piss out of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,560 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

emo72 wrote: »
    When yis say day one, is that referring to Monday the start of the cold weather? And day nine is nine days after that? And so on and so forth?

If you look at the charts, the Date they apply to is posted on one of the corners of the chart

Usually the 'day 9' means 9 days from the date the run was generated., that chart was generated today and day 9 relates to 02/03/18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

No, next year.

Sryanbruen you are making me feel so so old, and very dumb when it comes to the weather, scary to think how good you will be a weather forecasting in 10 or more years time, the next M.T in the making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some flip-flop there, by being this far west I managed to compress it all into five minutes.

That polar high is now over Franz Josef Land at 1043 mbs. There's a weak almost dead low drifting southwest ahead of it at 1015 mbs close to Murmansk. I think some of the model confusion is in trying to resolve how this dead low proceeds when the strong high reaches land. These disturbances moving southwest over Britain, North Sea or Ireland are basically by-products of this current set-up and might be taking on a second life thanks to the warmth of the North Sea. They would also be the best chance for a snowfall event that is anything beyond Irish Sea streamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

ZX7R wrote: »
    Sryanbruen you are making me feel so so old, and very dumb when it comes to the weather, scary to think how good you will be a weather forecasting in 10 or more years time, the next M.T in the making

Don't wish that on the young man, perhaps he will be blessed with a normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Don't wish that on the young man, perhaps he will be blessed with a normal life.

He could be the right man to take over your research in the future

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Try running your own business , after 10 hours working you realise you have feck all done , and all you team are waiting for you next move but your still knee deep in the charts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I know we’re all hoping for snow but I do think the cold is as impressive. Leaving the snow aside are we still on track for anything up near -8 to -10 or am I way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

No, next year.

Ahh here!!!!
    Makes me feel well dumb.
    Tell me your repeating it for the 26th year please!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Try running your own business , after 10 hours working you realise you have feck all done , and all you team are waiting for you next move but your still knee deep in the charts :D

:D

In December 2010 I think I got about 3 days work done in 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Leaving cert!! Ffs I've got runners older than you pal

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I’d love to do an Ask Me Anything thread : with a forecaster from ME

There was a sort-of one years ago...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69715901

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Gfs for next Thursday/Friday showing a lot of snow coming in from Finland over Scotland and covering us too it’s seems very dry up to that point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The latest from the Met Office
    https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155598823784209/

Good quotes:
    This time next week spring will feel very far away
    Likely to be the coldest air over the UK for some years
    "We Could see snow coming at us from almost any direction, risk of significant snow causing disruption"

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Is Ireland the only country that needs to know the weather forecast every minute of the day,? Why? who cares? not that we get much say in the matter, ----might rain, is raining, sooner the better we get our 3 weeks of sun that we call Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

decky1 wrote: »
    sooner the better we get our 3 weeks of sun that we call Summer.

Someone's very optimistic about this summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Pangea wrote: »
    The latest from the Met Office

Good quotes:
    This time next week spring will feel very far away
    Likely to be the coldest air over the UK for some years
    "We Could see snow coming at us from almost any direction, risk of significant snow causing disruption"

That was a brilliant explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It would be great just once to go to bed knowing it will be snowing the next day. No ifs, Buts, dps,wet bulb . Just "tomorrow heavy snow" end of.

Yess
    And even when it does snow heavily its usually how many hours until its melting or starts turning slushy :(
    Why couldn't I have been born russian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The EPS mean is great - further north than Op 🎉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Haven’t posted in here in a long time .

An excellent forecast from the UKMet worth a watch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

decky1 wrote: »
    Is Ireland the only country that needs to know the weather forecast every minute of the day,? Why? who cares? not that we get much say in the matter, ----might rain, is raining, sooner the better we get our 3 weeks of sun that we call Summer.

Yes it’s just Ireland. The only country in the whole world where weather matters. No really. It is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IMO does not seem to be much precipitation showing up in the charts Mon/ Tues apart from streamers along the East coast perhaps if they get going, and as was mentioned by MT perhaps a disturbance something like shown in the chart below developing over the North Sea drifting down over us could provide snow over a wider area ( North of the country in this run) . These charts will evolve over the coming days and only show the true potential closer to the time as the models pick up the finer details. The cold looks certain anyway until about Thurs and a chance of it continuing into the weekend also I would have thought.

tempresult_kcm3.gif

tempresult_znb1.gif

wlX3jbE.gif

tempresult_qtv0.gif

tempresult_bbe5.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement