Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Haven’t posted in here in a long time .

An excellent forecast from the UKMet worth a watch .

https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155598823784209/

That's one hell of a forecast alright.

They aren't hedging their bets any longer that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,154 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Haven’t posted in here in a long time .

An excellent forecast from the UKMet worth a watch .

https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155598823784209/

cold.gif?w=290

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

decky1 wrote: »
    Is Ireland the only country that needs to know the weather forecast every minute of the day,? Why? who cares? not that we get much say in the matter, ----might rain, is raining, sooner the better we get our 3 weeks of sun that we call Summer.

Every country on earth has several daily weather forecasts broadcast nationally, as regards weather forums yes Id say people in britain and ireland find it particularly interesting as weather is of more changeable nature than in many other continental nations

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The cold looks certain anyway until about Thurs and a chance of it continuing into the weekend also I would have thought.

I really doubt it will be gone by Thursday. The gfs is notorious for being too progressive in these situations. Read back over Syrans posts to see why it is unlikely to be that quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'll reply to all the kind comments in a moment and thank you guys, it's very nice of you. I certainly wasn't expecting them. :blushes:

Meanwhile, I'd like to be having what the CFS had tonight please. Mmmmm

TH7llZS.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

All the charts seem to be trending the right way for us cold lovers that’s for sure ........ Still a few more twists and turns to come I feel 🙈

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kittyn wrote: »
    All the charts seem to be trending the right way for us cold lovers that’s for sure ........ Still a few more twists and turns to come I feel ��

Yip....the trend is your friend!

I will only consider getting in the car to drive to the theme park tomorrow evening. On Friday I may then consider buying a ticket for the roller coaster. (....for riding on Saturday). If trends stay on track, I will ride the roller coaster....on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

kittyn wrote: »
    All the charts seem to be trending the right way for us cold lovers that’s for sure ........ Still a few more twists and turns to come I feel 🙈

Well to be honest i was drained these past few days from the model roller coaster. I feel good now because cold is surely a certainity now. The outstanding questions are how cold and much snow will we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think Met Eireann should factor in the fact that probably 3/4s of the Irish population could see snow from this-reason being the two largest cities or on the coast and then of course you have Waterford etc
    So even though the bulk of the country should see a lot of dry weather the bulk of the population should see snow

Get my drift?! (Pardon the pun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

decky1 wrote: »
    Is Ireland the only country that needs to know the weather forecast every minute of the day,? Why? who cares? not that we get much say in the matter, ----might rain, is raining, sooner the better we get our 3 weeks of sun that we call Summer.

Another one lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Here we go....

Let's see what Met E make of the ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

LEIN wrote: »
    Here we go....

Let's see what Met E make of the ECM.

Emphasising the cold next week a slight bit more than the sixone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Emphasising the cold next week a slight bit more than the sixone.

They appear to think it will be very dry over the next 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

In fairness met Eireann really ramping now.
    Exceptionally cold is a phrase we rarely hear.
    All we're short now is Evelyn doing the forecast on Sunday night and Mr Schleet to take a week off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

well, that is what most models are predicting currently

Very cold for next 7 days but 5% of normal level of precipitation from Met

Either way, I bought a snow shovel tonight in Argos for e6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

In fairness met Eireann really ramping now.
    Exceptionally cold is a phrase we rarely hear.
    All we're short now is Evelyn doing the forecast on Sunday night dressed as a giant snowflake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Dónal wrote: »

Either way, I bought a snow shovel tonight in Argos for e6.

Have ye lads no shovels or spades in your sheds? What is so special about a snow shovel, in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Yeah they are speaking to the country as a whole when saying that as opposed to what will be going on in the east
    Allied to that they have no detail on moisture features because none have developed yet
    The air to cause them isn’t here
    Unlike when looking at Atlantic systems that can be seen several days away already born

Ergo Nothing bad to read into there

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Latest ICON run has -8 uppers reaching eastern half of the country by Monday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Yeah they are speaking to the country as a whole when saying that as opposed to what will be going on in the east
    Allied to that they have no detail on moisture features because none have developed yet
    The air to cause them isn’t here
    Unlike when looking at Atlantic systems that can be seen several days away already born

Ergo Nothing bad to read into there

also, it's hard to predict coastal showers if we still have very little info on wind direction. It starts as an vague easterly but then is modelled to become variable in direction ( depending on which model or model run you look at), so showers could pop up on any coastal areas at different times.

The way you can find/remember historical facts i wouldnt be to worried about it. Any way you'll probably be off school next week you can catch up then:)

Thank you, too bad it was English and Business though :cool:. The former I find incredibly boring and the latter, well I don't really have an opinion on because there is nothing wrong with it nor do I particularly love it.

My mid-term was last week but I wish :).
    LEIN wrote: »
    Could you put it down as science and Geography study? :p

If only such subjects did meteorology to this sort of level. Geography only has simple things like how to identify things on a weather map - I did this stuff when I was about 6 years old as I taught myself :P.

Sometimes I envy the UK's A-Levels Geography curriculum, seems far better and more in-depth on meteorology than ours here where we're generally focused on things like the parts of rivers, landforms of erosion and deposition, rocks, rocks and more rocks.
    sparrowcar wrote: »
    If your input here is anything to go by you'll sail through it anyway.

Thank you. I've not failed a single exam in my life.... so far, that's for sure. Although, I'd rather help others get better results than care for my own. You may find that stupid but I don't. I love helping others and it's what brings joy to me here.
    leahyl wrote: »
    Wow, you have some meteorological knowledge for your age!

I've self taught myself leahyl from a young age from watching RTÉ and BBC weather forecasts to reading meteorology books to researching. It's been a long ride to get myself to where I am now and I'm still going - the journey will never be completed. With weather, you're always learning as you go. We can all make up our own theories of our great obsession we all share here that is weather but Mother Nature is always dying to surprise us.

If anybody is willing to learn about weather history or teleconnections I use to predict the future (which is a highly experimental thing to do and is done just for fun), me and others are always here to help you. If you cannot get there yourself on learning the stuff well then we'll get there together! I try to make my posts as simple yet detailed as possible when it comes to teleconnections. Sometimes, I don't have the time to be explaining how the teleconnections work which is why at times you see me not giving much explanation and having posters give responses like: "So..... what does this mean for our weather?". The Irish Weather Statistics thread is always open up to questions about the history of Ireland's weather, weather events etc. The thread is meant to be THE source on the Weather forum for weather historians or those who are craving the nostalgic feelings - which I'm going to be honest, I get sucked into a lot! Nostalgia kills me, I always look to my childhood and years like 2010. The November 2009 floods and rain is what sparked off my interest in weather really but I had been talking about the weather before hand, then Winter 2009-10 came and oh baby, I was so happy. My joy of childhood never was as great as this. Fantastic Winter followed by a fantastic Spring followed by a great Summer that is sadly underrated by a lot of people followed by the best Autumn in my opinion and then my favourite Winter ever, 2010-11 which will take some beating. My interest in weather flew through the roof as these events all took off. Even if I somehow get a year very similar to 2010 ever in my life again, it will not be as special as 2010 was. It holds a special place in my heart that I treasure for days, not just for the snow but all the sunshine! :) Not to mention, I went to Met Éireann on 20 July 2010 as I had shown before on here with a picture of me that had a creepy smile.

I remember one day (24 November 2011 to be exact :p - yes I know, it's mad how I remember these dates, everybody says that) I got to teach a 3rd class in my primary school about the weather. I taught them about weather instruments, weather elements, a bit of weather history and that was pretty much it because ya know, they were only 3rd class students. For anybody who would listen to me and answer questions correctly when I gave a bit of a pop quiz, I awarded them with treats and green cards. I gotta say, they were very intelligent and well behaved boys!

Another day (26 October 2012) I was asked to give a weather quiz to a group of 5th class students. I again awarded the winners who did very well in it.
    homolumo wrote: »
    [Mod Snip] sbryanruen; you must be a meteorological prodigy/nerd or pulling the piss out of us.

Yes, I am definitely a nerd for sure ;). I barely do anything a person of my age does. I rarely go out with friends, I rarely go places, I rarely go to concerts. I'd rather do statistics in the laboratory for all I care, but that's just me and my strange nerdy nature! :o

I'm happy that I am so because it enables me to recall childhood memories and weather is something that affects us all on a regular basis. It could be the matter of life and death. It could be the difference between a day of activities in hot sun or a day staying in whilst it's pouring.
    ZX7R wrote: »
    Sryanbruen you are making me feel so so old, and very dumb when it comes to the weather, scary to think how good you will be a weather forecasting in 10 or more years time, the next M.T in the making

Nah nah mate, I cannot replace the legend that is M.T. himself. This man is one of my favourite people. He impresses me a lot and I envy his knowledge sometimes. It's certainly clear why he gets all the respect he does on here. I talk to him the odd time behind the scenes. He is an extremely nice person and I seriously regret losing my mind last night going mad at him after the trolls got to me; what a stupid thing for me to do. I will never be able to take on M.T.'s Greenland Express. I think it should be put into better hands because it's so special to us and we don't want it to end up in the wrong hands.

As for you feeling very dumb, don't pal. We are all good at something. I try to make everything as simple yet detailed for you to understand when I post about teleconnections and weather history. The point of my explanations is to cater to casuals so that nobody feels stupid or has a clue what I'm talking about and that we can all enjoy our obsession here together.
    Don't wish that on the young man, perhaps he will be blessed with a normal life.

You never fail to give me a big grin on my face M.T.. :D
    Try running your own business , after 10 hours working you realise you have feck all done , and all you team are waiting for you next move but your still knee deep in the charts :D

Think me being manager wouldn't be the best business idea now would it? :o
    Ahh here!!!!
    Makes me feel well dumb.
    Tell me your repeating it for the 26th year please!!!

Like I said to ZX7R above there, don't feel dumb pal. We're all good at something and that's what makes us human. I'll give you examples of my weaknesses: I've never been good at Art (well people tell me I am; I remember my Art teacher was so sad to lose me, she loved me for some reason :pac:.) and my English story writing is very poor (I can barely write a good detailed paragraph without going off topic) etc. I wish I had the skills to do these things but unfortunately I don't. However, I appreciate the skills I do have and put them to good use to bring you and others posts about weather history and my methodology in predicting the weather.

I might be going back to school if I'm still interested in meteorology by the time I'm done secondary school because I did not choose Physics for my Leaving Cert as I find it incredibly difficult.
    gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Leaving cert!! Ffs I've got runners older than you pal

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Have ye lads no shovels or spades in your sheds? What is so special about a snow shovel, in Ireland?
    Agreed, Im thinking the plastic /rubber will just glide along any icy surface, you would need a solid shovel or spade to pick at any ice or compacted snow,
    Also that 1 on argos has a short handle, dont look too durable.

Speaking of picking at ice, I remember 2010 picking away at at sheet of ice in our driveway after the mother nearly went flying bringing in some turf, was real Shackelton stuff, feckin baltic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

what time does the pub run roll out again please folks?

barney 20v wrote: »

It began 26 minutes ago and is currently rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

barney 20v wrote: »

9.30 - http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    alc2.jpg

:D

Agreed, Im thinking the plastic /rubber will just glide along any icy surface, you would need a solid shovel or spade to pick at any ice or compacted snow,
    Also that 1 on argos has a short handle, dont look too durable.

Speaking of picking at ice, I remember 2010 picking away at at sheet of ice in our driveway after the mother nearly went flying bringing in some turf, was real Shackelton stuff, feckin baltic!!

The thing that struck me in 2010 was seeing the southern parts of Lough Corrib frozen from shore to shore. I was gobsmacked. The ice was 8 inches thick in places. I had heard legends of people walking across the lake in 1947 but I always found them hard to believe. I know 1 farmer who walked across to an island in the middle of the lake in 2010. He could easily have made it to the other side of the lake because it was shallower.

Are the folks in continental Europe preparing for this onslaught from the east?
    I am guessing there will be fatalities the closer they are to the cold. How cold is it likely to get in Eastern Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ICON 18z better, GFS a touch slower, High a touch further south than the 12z at 120hrs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement