Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In the freezer by Tuesday

gfs-1-138.png?18

Note how the GFS is now keeping the core cold to the north - good for us... (if that's what you want!)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

GFS looks grand, cold filtering in a bit slower. That shortwave south of Greenland looks a bit suspect though, where would it be headed.

Edit: its disappeared, never mind. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Are the folks in continental Europe preparing for this onslaught from the east?
    I am guessing there will be fatalities the closer they are to the cold. How cold is it likely to get in Eastern Europe?

White Walkers were spotted outside of Gydnia as the Baltic has frozen over, hordes are headed towards Europe lets hope the Wall in Berlin holds.

nrkigjxrlasna4h6imns.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The only thing I will need to buy to prepare for beast next week is a new F5 key...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The only thing I will need to buy to prepare for beast next week is a new F5 key...

I'm stocked up on Dragon Glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea 18z GFS is grand - remember the 12z ended up too far north!

The UKM now will be the leader in the morning - but I personally place that 3rd to the EC.....GFS....UKM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

On the verge of dreadful cold?

gfs-1-156.png?18

How often do you see something like this, with winds completely reversed and Western Europe in the freezer? We would have been delighted to see this pop up on a few ensembles out at +300 hrs a few weeks ago, but this is forecast for a week away. :D

gfs-0-156.png?18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

gabeeg wrote: »
    On the verge of dreadful cold?

gfs-1-156.png?18

Dreadful cold. My favourite type of cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip....the trend is your friend!

I will only consider getting in the car to drive to the theme park tomorrow evening. On Friday I may then consider buying a ticket for the roller coaster. (....for riding on Saturday). If trends stay on track, I will ride the roller coaster....on Saturday.

Do not buy a ticket. You are more than welcome to mine

I get off the roller coaster on Valentines day

Too much puking done all winter..... I cant handle anymore

[IMG]http:////media2.giphy.com/media/dOl2LFw0RbTMc/giphy.gif[/IMG]

• Advertisement

Showing a bit of water by this stage, for what its worth

gfs-2-168.png?18

Juicy looking system crossing the country now Wednesday night (exactly a week from now). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm liking this GFS. The recent consistency is something I'm also liking.

gfs-1-174.png?18

gfs-0-174.png?18

Snow machine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Spanish Eyes, I had seen your post about asking if there's any similarities between 2010 and this coming cold yesterday. However, it's quite a big question that will take up a lot of my time and unfortunately, until the weekend, I have other things to attend to I'm afraid.

I just wanted to make this post here to let you know that I've seen your post and I will likely answer this weekend if I can. I will go in-depth about what caused 2010 as far as I'm aware and compare with the teleconnections for 2018. Going from off the top of my head, there isn't much comparison in terms of similarities though.

Not to mention, I will be asking you guys multiple questions soon - perhaps in the Winter discussion thread? This will be on the failed 2012 easterly for Ireland 'cause I'm curious to know on what exactly was hinting towards it in the first place besides models and see if my methodology at the time would have shown it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

How often do you see something like this, with winds completely reversed and Western Europe in the freezer? We would have been delighted to see this pop up on a few ensembles out at +300 hrs a few weeks ago, but this is forecast for a week away. :D

Indeed these are "look at GFS perturbation 8 at 385 hrs if you want a good laugh" charts but at 156hr operational run with broad model and background signal support. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

i wish the core of the intense cold could flood west but these lows that pop up in the flow are preventing it from doing so.

gfs-0-180.png?18

Ts4p92l.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That is one hell of a snowy GFS run, -12c uppers returning from the north east too...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

i wish the core of the intense cold could flood west but these lows that pop up in the flow are preventing it from doing so.

Yes but instead they are unleashing buckets of snow on us. The uppers are cold enough as it is.

• Advertisement

-12 uppers plunging into Ireland on Thursday with a -14 following behind over Scotland. This has gone more north-northeasterly now.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Spanish Eyes, I had seen your post about asking if there's any similarities between 2010 and this coming cold yesterday. However, it's quite a big question that will take up a lot of my time and unfortunately, until the weekend, I have other things to attend to I'm afraid.

I just wanted to make this post here to let you know that I've seen your post and I will likely answer this weekend if I can. I will go in-depth about what caused 2010 as far as I'm aware and compare with the teleconnections for 2018. Going from off the top of my head, there isn't much comparison in terms of similarities though.

No need dude, I'll field this one.

Yes, there are some similarities

gfs-1-186.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

gabeeg wrote: »
    No need dude, I'll field this one.

Yes, there are some similarities

I had edited my post there by the way with an add-on about the failed 2012 easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Surface temperatures of -2 to -6c between the coasts of Scotland and Norway on Thursday morning.......nice.

ukmintemp.png

Also liking the lingering snow around West Clare on that day, if Only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

East coast plus a big chunk of the country looking at serious snow totals if this comes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Lake effect snow could come into play next week, for us in the east . Though it would be handy to leave this here!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

So ? Can we tell the muggles now it's going to snow ? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

3pm temperature, my god.

ukmintemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Or the thanks button ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

NMB wrote: »
    So ? Can we tell the muggles now it's going to snow ? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Give it till Friday I'd say in all fairness. The models were quite jittery today, probably worth being patient a little bit longer IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement