Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Vast Majority of the country staying below freezing on Thursday. With a big heavy band of snow moving down the West Coast Thursday Night and Friday morning. Oh my god I need to stop at the FI charts.

Edit: See Squarecircles chart above, I posted the exact same.

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

gfs-0-216.png?18

scream__1_.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That’s me for the night , remember to use the report button and don’t feed them , make me happy in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

utterly ridiculous, some parts would be under heavy snow for 48+ hours- This is the most extreme of snowy runs I have seen

gfs-0-228.png?18

Country still under -8c to -11c uppers on that chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I swear to god if the west nicks all our snow I will hate all of them for the rest of my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Still sub -10c 850 hpa by next Saturday.

gfs-1-228.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

gfs-0-216.png?18

scream__1_.jpg

gUSrfG1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

gabeeg wrote: »
    I swear to god if the west nicks all our snow I will hate all of them for the rest of my life

Anyone give a brief rundown on latest charts in simple terms?
    Likely minimum temp for each province and likelihood of snowfall
    I've been watching all the charts but I'm dizzy now !

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Seriously conflicted here.... Love snow (grew up in the Pennines) own 2 snow shovels (used for lifting horse muck mostly) BUT am also scheduled to travel to the East Coast of the UK on 4th, so am nailed to this thread with great interest.

Hats off to you all for making a biology nerd into a starter-meteorology-nerd !! It's fascinating stuff. (I've followed this board a few years but rarely post.)

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah they are speaking to the country as a whole when saying that as opposed to what will be going on in the east
    Allied to that they have no detail on moisture features because none have developed yet
    The air to cause them isn’t here
    Unlike when looking at Atlantic systems that can be seen several days away already born

Ergo Nothing bad to read into there

Have to say you have been calling this to a tee so far! Keep
    it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No need dude, I'll field this one.

Yes, there are some similarities

gfs-1-186.png?18

Seeing that big black blob covering western europe gives me huge endorphine rush every time I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

km79 wrote: »

*cough* speak for yourself! I would thoroughly enjoy it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Vast Majority of the country staying below freezing on Thursday. With a big heavy band of snow moving down the West Coast Thursday Night and Friday morning. Oh my god I need to stop at the FI charts.

Edit: See Squarecircles chart above, I posted the exact same.

Hope you get that JXC, you deserve a good snowfall.

km79 wrote: »

Anyone give a brief rundown on latest charts in simple terms?
    Likely minimum temp for each province and likelihood of snowfall
    I've been watching all the charts but I'm dizzy now !

It goes pretty well in the "reliable" timeframe, then it goes nuts and pummels most of the country with endless snow.

It probably won't happen. Its just one of countless scenarios that could play out.
    Probably be different in the morning.

The bloody great news is that the opportunities for the kind of scenario we've just seen very much exist. But most importantly, the cold is still on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Going to buy extra bird seed, fat balls and nuts over the weekend. It's going to be hard on the wildlife especially if the ground is frozen. I urge people to to the same. Also filling up the car and going some prep work.

I live within walking distance from a Tesco and Aldi so food is no worry. I will be doing shopping runs for the elderly as well.

Well if it pans out that way.

Someone should create a weather readyness thread once things become locked in.

i read this forum back in 2010 and it was spot on, so I'm expecting to look like Macready in "the Thing" come sunday!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

I just want to say a massive thanks to all for the input of your knowledge that yous have brought so far and from now on, enjoy the roller-coaster whatever it brings, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can someone simplify this for me?

I am living in Clare, when can I expect snow going by the latest models? What kind of temps are we looking at this coming weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Currently Active Users Moderators
    644 (212 members & 432 guests)

A bit mad since we are 5 days away from any proper cold hitting us.

Can someone simplify this for me?

I am living in Clare, when can I expect snow going by the latest models? What kind of temps are we looking at this coming weekend?

Bad news, man.

If you haven't already stocked up on beans and bear mace, it's too late

You're already dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

If it's ok to post again, I'm not in walking distance of shop...
    Any tips on what to stock up on?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The Daily Mail (via Sky News) has the header "Killer Snowstorms on Way".....

Thank you all for your posts. Was seen reading this thread at work yesterday by a big boss :D:D:D

It would be wonderful, absolutely wonderful, if we had a Red Alert day next week. A day by the fire with Baileys Hot chocolate, marshmallows, a roaring fire and a good book would be absolutely stupendous. :cool:

Keep up the good work peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Starting to look serious now. Going to be some hardship for farmers, seen a few field of new born lambs on my travels today.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

1 way ticket to Narnia please images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4mogFwsoJSKs4WhpNVXTFsisie8-Wur723S83n9n3PBX3-QaDYw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Following this thread closely the past few days, oil ordered, coal ordered, just waiting now. Thanks to all in the know, esp KMtF. I have tentatively dropped hints to fellow colleagues, the ones who travel bad roads about impending cold, am I safe to announce icemageddon yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Bad news, man.

If you haven't already stocked up on beans and bear mace, it's too late

You're already dead

I'm well stocked up on both so I'm good anyway. But I've a big match at the weekend, hoping it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

i want the -15 isotherm in over the country,then ill be happy.

I'm well stocked up on both so I'm good anyway. But I've a big match at the weekend, hoping it goes ahead.

This weekend?

You're grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

The real cold wont arrive til late monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Jaysus ye know something’s on the way when there’s 116 pages . Sensational !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement