Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No need to panic. Give it a few days yet. Some chopping and changing to come.

I'd go with slightly greater than a 50/50 chance now of severe weather from Sunday night rather than moderately cold.

Sweet dreams (from Mother Russia)

tempresult_vtg0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Haven’t posted in here in a long time .

An excellent forecast from the UKMet worth a watch .

https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155598823784209/

The graphics and explanations of the charts are outstanding

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Now wouldn't that be sweet if that system ran down the coast like that JCX BXC :pac: Long long way off and this is bound to change loads of times but a few features starting to show up on the charts, any more tickets for the rollercoaster !

tempresult_bnx8.gif

210-780UK_nui3.GIF

210-778UK_ibx5.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Burts Bee wrote: »
    If it's ok to post again, I'm not in walking distance of shop...
    Any tips on what to stock up on?
    Thanks

Several keyboards as your F5 will be broken within a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

kod87 wrote: »
    The real cold wont arrive til late monday

Thank you, good to know for work (airport).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

km79 wrote: »

Anyone give a brief rundown on latest charts in simple terms?
    Likely minimum temp for each province and likelihood of snowfall
    I've been watching all the charts but I'm dizzy now !

Mostly dry I'm sure you'll be glad to hear though maybe some drizzle tomorrow, plenty of settled weather and hopefully a bit more sun again from the weekend.

4-7C by day, sharp frosts overnight. From Monday likely to get colder with low single figures by day and severe frosts overnight

Any notable snowy weather is as ever still the best part of a week away so no point looking at it in any detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

If the GFS 18z is anyways correct, wednesday onwards will be a forecasting nightmare. Sea effect convection, little lows popping out like weeds, deeper LPs engaging with the cold air around the UK and Ireland...a complete mess (but a nice mess I must say). We could actually end up with a slack low which could be very rewarding to some people (esp those by the coast). Oh, was just about to forget... the ECM is also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lol the pub run has gone straight to the top shelf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Plenty of Red and Amber Alerts next week for low temperature particularly at night, Amber Alert for snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I hope the improving trend continues in the overnight/morning runs. Obviously there will be changes but it's hard not to get excited that we might be on the cusp of something memorable next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

the one time I take an hour break from the weather forum all hell breaks loose with the models! By god keep it up like this please! Also I don't like seeing the west taking all our snow from the south and east, Get your own cold northwesterly!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Plenty of Red and Amber Alerts next week for low temperature particularly at night, Amber Alert for snow!

Are you a colleague in met eirrean??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Okay, who broke into the GFS operations room?

I suspect somebody from the wesht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can someone simplify this for me?

I am living in Clare, when can I expect snow going by the latest models? What kind of temps are we looking at this coming weekend?
    You're looking at this

https://www.google.ie/search?q=snowmageddon&safe=active&client=ms-android-xiaomi&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijmN3zj7jZAhWqKMAKHaOkCDQQ_AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=564#imgrc=EurrMLSZ9oC6wM:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

And if, when all a vigil keep,
    The West's asleep! the West's asleep!
    Alas! and well may Erin weep
    That Connacht lies in slumber deep.
    But, hark! a voice like thunder spake,
    The West's awake! the West's awake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I would actually expect the national emergency coordination committee to be meeting next week to discuss measures needed once the extent of what’s ahead is firmed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I would actually expect the national emergency coordination committee to be meeting next week to discuss measures needed once the extent of what’s ahead is firmed up

Well they've plenty of salt and grit in stockpile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I hope the improving trend continues in the overnight/morning runs. Obviously there will be changes but it's hard not to get excited that we might be on the cusp of something memorable next week.

Think of all the farmers on the farming forum trying to keep their animals alive until they're ready for you to eat them while you have your "memorable event"

Gets my coat ;)

My in-laws are already feeling the cold in eastern Europe. Next week is going to be very bad for them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Interesting forecast on BBC there, he said the cold is definitely coming but uncertain if the extreme cold will reach the UK or go further south towards France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Looks like he broke the control run too

hmmmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

run to run variations folks , cool calm heads , just because it’s showing now what a lot of us would love to see , bare in mind the next run could wobble , it’s being doing this daily , one model will wobble whilst the other provides gold , just don’t want to be dealing with the ametuer dramatics in the morning ������

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

gabeeg wrote: »
    I swear to god if the west nicks all our snow I will hate all of them for the rest of my life

Ill sell it to you 50C a bag

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Might be time to add a level 2 to this thread and change the title to

Much colder weather with increasing risk of localized heavy snowfalls from Mon 26th

There are enough high probability impacts from the cold alone to merit a level two, and the snowfall potential looks to be at least level two.

Oddly this is about where we were saying we would start a thread but then we would never have had the five days of jolly banter etc, or had the pleasure of meeting our new trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

run to run variations folks , cool calm heads , just because it’s showing now what a lot of us would love to see , bare in mind the next run could wobble , it’s being doing this daily , one model will wobble whilst the other provides gold , just don’t want to be dealing with the ametuer dramatics in the morning ������

Sorry dude, but if its showing snow in the west only I'm throwing a massive tantrum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Think of all the farmers on the farming forum trying to keep their animals alive until they're ready for you to eat them while you have your "memorable event"

Gets my coat ;)

My in-laws are already feeling the cold in eastern Europe. Next week is going to be very bad for them:D

This is weather which is uncontrollable. Anyway how do you know I'm not a vegetarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pangea wrote: »
    Interesting forecast on BBC there, he said the cold is definitely coming but uncertain if the extreme cold will reach the UK or go further south towards France.

Not surprising given the UKMO model output.

UW144-7.GIF?21-18

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are the folks in continental Europe preparing for this onslaught from the east?
    I am guessing there will be fatalities the closer they are to the cold. How cold is it likely to get in Eastern Europe?

French forecasters are saying it will be their coldest spell in 47 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Anyway how do you know I'm not a vegetarian?

a munsterlegend being a vegetarian lol whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Can any1 remember if there were powercuts in 2010?
    Im getting my storms and my snowdays mixed up, both had equal amounts of cabin fever so Im gona get prepared!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement