Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

pad199207 wrote: »
    22c in New York today. Very impressive for February

23 degrees in Boston today, 4 degrees tomorrow with rain/snow.

Crazy,crazy,crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Another great day on here. Im all on for the West to steal some of that white gold but sure look there will be plenty to share around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Crazy,crazy,crazy.

Yep it’s mad. I know it isn’t the thread to be posting USA temperatures but they are a key to what we could be about to experience next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Crazy,crazy,crazy.

At 9pm tonight it was 22c at Boston Logan airport, right on the coast. At 9pm tomorrow night there's snow forecast in the TAF.

What a bizzare climate, we can barely cope with a sudden change of 5/6c!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

According to the netweather radar there are sleet and some snow showers drifting into the south east of England already. Surprising to see this. This just reiterates the point that surprises can pop up locally in these scenarios even when it progged to be mainly dry. Keep that in mind for Sunday night into Monday morning in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

These charts being churned out are almost as a beautiful this woman playing thunderstruck on bag pipes.

The-Snake-Charmer-Dubstruck.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g50Un5QD2u0

After a quick look-through of the charts and chat for today it seems like things are coming along well as we hoped, there was a bit of trolling going on but nothing like a bagpipe trolling nacho! there is no need for bagpipes even if it's AC/DC :rolleyes:

On a side note Karina on the RTE weather just warned of a very cold weekend and colder still at the start of the week. Well done to Met.ie they never fall in early for very good reasons but have felt the need to start some warnings now.

Yep it’s mad. I know it isn’t the thread to be posting USA temperatures but they are a key to what we could be about to experience next week.

Indeed. As i mentioned before in 2010 it was unusually warm in parts of Canada and the USA at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Think we are starting to feel the effects of the continental air tonight. Humidities lower than normal. 76% at Casement. 82% here at the moment.

Oh the excitement..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Think we are starting to feel the effects of the continental air tonight. Humidities lower than normal. 76% at Casement. 82% here at the moment.
    Indeed! Just back from an impromptu pint in the local and it felt lovely out after a particularly pleasant day too. You'd be forgiven for thinking that spring had sprung and had firmly taken hold...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Down to 71% in Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Oh dear god just thought of something.
    'How big are the potholes going to get after this'

Oh the excitement..... ;)

Was just going to say the same thing Pad, this doesn't feel like our normal "wet Irish cold" this evening, it feels a lot more like the cold I had in Poland/Czech over Christmas and the New Year, it's a lot drier and not as cold a feeling as the temp suggests or we're use to.

I did want to ask some of the more experienced on the forum a while back, apart from it being drier and having less influence from the Atlantic, why did -16 on the Polish/Czech border feel like -1 in Dublin? maybe I answered it already above but it seems like there should be something else to add. The good news, an easterly doesn't seem to feel like our normal -1 in my opinion but it does bring streamers :D

dacogawa wrote: »
    Was just going to say the same thing Pad, this doesn't feel like our normal "wet Irish cold" this evening, it feels a lot more like the cold I had in Poland/Czech over Christmas and the New Year, it's a lot drier and not as cold a feeling as the temp suggests or we're use to.

I did want to ask some of the more experienced on the forum a while back, apart from it being drier and having less influence from the Atlantic, why did -16 on the Polish/Czech border feel like -1 in Dublin? maybe I answered it already above but it seems like there should be something else to add. The good news, an easterly doesn't seem to feel like our normal -1 in my opinion but it does bring streamers :D

I think it's to do with heat capacity and its ability to remove heat from your body. Cold moist air can actually remove more heat from your body than cold dry air when it comes into contact with it.

I think it's to do with heat capacity and its ability to remove heat from your body. Cold moist air can actually remove more heat from your body than cold dry air when it comes into contact with it.

That sounds right, I hadn't thought about it that way at all, it also explains why my psoriasis acted up very badly. Thanks Nacho, appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've happily walked home from the pub at night @ -15ºc while on Ski holidays in the Alps where it just felt a bit chilly and yet shivered like billy-O walking home from the Pub here at +5ºc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dacogawa wrote: »
    That sounds right, I hadn't thought about it that way at all, it also explains why my psoriasis acted up very badly. Thanks Nacho, appreciate it!

May I ask which conditions made the psoriasis act up if you don't mind?

Too late now really to order anything from Amazon. Any suggestions about getting Snowsocks for the car and Ice crampons for the shoes/boots in North Wicklow/South Co Dublin? Have Mains Gas Central Heating and a rangemaster cooker with Hob mains Gas cooking but with Electric Ovens but should I order in a couple of bag of Coal and Logs for our two open fire just in case the power goes out?

[EDIT] Had another look on Amazon and was getting deliver estimates for everything I wanted for 26-28th. Assuming I can trust that I ordered a set of snowsocks for my TT and a set for my fathers delivery van. Also ordered Show/boot Icegrips for all the family.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Seeing the figures being posted regarding temperature changes on the East Coast of the USA, I still have very fond memories of a holiday near Denver a few years ago. We were visiting in February, so it was supposed to be cold. When we arrived, the temperatures were in the region of 70F, and there was no snow to be seen in the area of Denver, the Rockies were of course covered, but that was somewhat higher. A week later, having had unseasonal temperatures all week, we collected a friend from Denver Airport, and the roadside displays were all showing 70F still.

That was on the Saturday at 14:00. Things changed overnight. We woke on the Sunday morning at about 8, and looked out of the window to see close on 18" of powder snow. Even the 4" wide 45 degree handrails of the stairs that went down to the garage had snow piled on them, as it had come down with very little wind during the night. The other change was the temperature outdoors, it had gone from 70F to -20F, Yes, that's MINUS 20 F overnight, and it remained at or below 0F all week.

In centigrade terms, that was a 40 Degree drop overnight, (+20 to -20) so a massive swing in a very short time scale. I'd never seen a swing of that magnitude before, it very much got my attention at the time.

That trip showed me that weather extremes can and do happen, so with the present scenario that is going to play out here over the next week or more, nothing would surprise me, the SSW has produced an outlier weather situation that we've not seen the like of in this part of the world for a very long time indeed.

I would be the first to admit, at about mid day today, it was hard to be outdoors with the temperatures where they were, and be thinking that in a few days time, we could be being hammered with snow.

Having seen it happen elsewhere, I am fully recognising that such a dramatic swing can happen here in the same way as it did in Colorado. The latest forecast charts seem to bear that out, and if anything, they reinforce the possibility of what can only be described as an extreme event for this time of the year. And yes, it could still all change, it's not yet completely nailed down, and even if it in theory was nailed down, nature has ways of surprising everyone and there's no reason to think this year will be any different.

This thread is likely to be where we're going to find out about it first, and when it does all start happening, F5 won't be needed, I suspect there will be that many posts here, even keeping up with reading the thread will be close to a full time job.

What's clear is that the next couple of weeks are going to be "Interesting"!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

gozunda wrote: »
    May I ask which conditions made the psoriasis act up if you don't mind?

Don't mind at all gozunda. It seems like it was just the proper dry cold, I don't have it too badly normally but when I hit the proper cold dry air it spread like wildfire, it was snowing a lot of the time (a dry big flake snow) but in truth I never felt proper cold like you do here. I think Nacho is onto something with removing heat from your body, the more heat (unexpectedly, when expecting cold) you're feeling on the surface is the more your body wants to compensate and dry out, I'm going to have to look into this a bit more when it's not late and I have a bit of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

We won’t see snow but a few flurries of sleet at most

Daytime temperatures will be around 1 degree so not to bad

Don’t except to see any sub zero temperatures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Oh dear god just thought of something.
    'How big are the potholes going to get after this'

You'll be able to bathe in them. :)

The ramp up is official so. Best get a fill in thethe oil tank.

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    We won’t see snow but a few flurries of sleet at most

Daytime temperatures will be around 1 degree so not to bad

Don’t except to see any sub zero temperatures

Hey Everybody!! ANDREWMUFC is finally here with his legendary Meteorological expertise to tell us whats going to happen next week!! Listen carefully to him, he knows his stuff!

.......sorry, who are you again? :D

Calibos wrote: »
    H

.......sorry, who are you again? :D

He is advising the chief forecasters here and in the UK. Don't mock him Calibos. If he is somehow wrong in his analysis, he will be the first person to admit it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Morning.

icon-0-147.png?22-00

icon-1-147.png?22-00

It looks like M.T Crainum's purple whale wants to take a bite out of the east coast of England.

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?22-05

UW144-7.GIF?22-05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

so, the latest gfs has the -10 uppers hitting our east coast by 3pm Monday, a little earlier than previous runs. I know it pointless reading that much detail into each run especially at this range, but I can't think of anything better to do at 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

South/East getting hammered on the ICON, -16c uppers edging in!

icon-1-177.png?22-00

icon-0-177.png?22-00

The models are all moving towards the significant snow and deep cold option now, lets keep this going for once.

Sub -10c 850 temperatures until at least next Saturday on the GFS.

Wants to go the historic route.

But yes a definite tilt toward the more severe cold outcomes this morning.

• Advertisement

gfs-1-162.png?0

Well this was worth staying up for! A shark on the GFS about to gobble parts of the UK and a whale on the UKMO- you don't see this everyday:o

But seriously i feel like dancing. We are so close to something special now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement