Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hi! Iv followed boards wether since 2010 but rarely post. This is just to exciting!! I'm in Tallaght at the foot of the Dublin mountains. So far this year we have only seen a dusting that melted quickly but still the most since 2010. Jugging by the chit chat on here I best go order more oil!

During the big 80's snow events a a child I lived in Firhouse which is at the foot of Montpellier hill with the Hellfire Club. Seemed like we got snow and ice every Winter there during the 80's all the while Granny in Bray reported nothing of much consequence. Moved back to Bray in 1987 just in time for that event.

I keep seeing people reminiscing about a big event in 1991 in this thread but it was obviously just a dusting in Bray because I certainly must not have found it too noteworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

This is mental weather for March forecast. 2 questions. Could cheltenham races be cancelled due to the snow.? It starts 12th March. Also when should we expect the first few flakes around the r.d.s area Dublin 4? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Just so I am clear, are these temps at 1.5km or ground level?
    Beautiful model ;)

1.5km

It shows the east of Ireland with the same temp profile as the bay of biscay :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

torres9kop wrote: »
    Also when should we expect the first few flakes around the r.d.s area Dublin 4? Thanks

BINGO!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

this is where working from home gets me excited !!! no need to worry about a commute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

JazzyJ wrote: »
    BINGO!

It's always the dubs that ask first ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

JazzyJ wrote: »
    BINGO!

Winner, winner, (frozen) chicken dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

catrat12 wrote: »
    I know it’s early days but it’s already turning a bit eerie in glencullen like something is going to happen

Same in east Galway. Horizon and sky has that 'darker', Biscay look about it. A good drying breeze springing up too.

Here is how this morning's ECM 10 day prep anomaly looks. Looks really good for snow lovers in the east, and even better for those of us in the west who are looking for some decent dry weather after what has been a miserable damp winter thus far.

TR22rTn.png

Very happy with the output this morning. A more direct easterly flow rather than the maritime mixed slop of yesterday.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Time to start stocking up on dishwasher salt. It's great stuff for melting ice. I remember the last big cold spell and the people working in the local supermarket couldn't understand why they were selling out of it.People copped on that it's a great deicer and cheap.

It destroys concrete pavements (salt attacks concrete). Use wisely or you risk causing damage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For me it is all about being prepared. This is why is one lives in a rural location they should have a big freezer.
    One needs to buy food that can be frozen, tinned food and food that will not go off too quickly. Ingredients to bake, the biggest issue for most is milk...so the long life milk may be needed.

Then there is heating, have enough oil, gas if you use bottled gas, firewood, just be prepared.

Don’t drive unless an absolute emergency if conditions aren’t great, back in 2010 the army was called in to assist people.

If you have elderly neighbours, visit them, help them.
    Farmers will have it tough with the lambing underway and cows calving. They need to have enough fodder which could be a major issue if the severe cold is prolonged.

No one can be definite how bad it will be, but one should always prepare for the worse, always better to be over prepared than find oneself in trouble from a lack of preparedness.
    I will be preparing to be snowed in, as I know where I live and what to expect - basically abandoned when we get any snow due to the topography of the area.
    We have to take what the weather gives us, but it is up to ourselves to be prepared for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

RobertKK wrote: »
    For me it is all about being prepared. This is why is one lives in a rural location they should have a big freezer.
    One needs to buy food that can be frozen, tinned food and food that will not go off too quickly. Ingredients to bake, the biggest issue for most is milk...so the long life milk may be needed.

Then there is heating, have enough oil, gas if you use bottled gas, firewood, just be prepared.

Don’t drive unless an absolute emergency if conditions aren’t great, back in 2010 the army was called in to assist people.

Farmers will have it tough with the lambing underway and cows calving. They need to have enough fodder which could be a major issue if the severe cold is prolonged.

No one can be definite how bad it will be, but one should always prepare for the worse, always better to be over prepared than find oneself in trouble from a lack of preparedness.
    I will be preparing to be snowed in, as I know where I live and what to expect - basically abandoned when we get any snow due to the topography of the area.
    We have to take what the weather gives us, but it is up to ourselves to be prepared for it.

Are you up on the Brown Mountain Robert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Vronsky wrote: »
    It destroys concrete pavements (salt attacks concrete). Use wisely or you risk causing damage

100% correct and that was responsible for many concrete speedhumps breaking up after the 2010 outbreak. Also, I'm told that salt is useless below -7C and doesn't melt ice at all. Don't know how accurat that is but there may be some truth to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

whippet wrote: »
    this is where working from home gets me excited !!! no need to worry about a commute

I'm on leave next week. Don't know whether to laugh or cry! (or go wheeeeeee as I slide down the lawn)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's great that all models are on the same hymn sheet with deep cold reaching our shores mid week. it would take some monumental change for this all to go pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

torres9kop wrote: »
    This is mental weather for March forecast. 2 questions. Could cheltenham races be cancelled due to the snow.? It starts 12th March. Also when should we expect the first few flakes around the r.d.s area Dublin 4? Thanks

Not likely Cheltenham would be affected at this point, however depending on how it plays out, the turf could be unraceable due to deep and penetrating frost rather than much snow cover.

Nobody can answer your second question, it belongs in the Bookies with Cheltenham, but the greater snow potential for the east of Ireland generally is around this time next week onwards. That is not to rule out a few flurries before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

ECM looks very snowy on the E Coast from Tuesday until Friday with frequent snow showers...still looking very good. ECM better than GFS re. wind direction for Dublin but its still early days. Tomorrow afternoon's runs very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Is this still very much looking like an east coast event in terms of snow? I know it is early but how far inland is the potential for snow? TIA

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Are you up on the Brown Mountain Robert?

It is close to where I live. But I don’t live up there. I know during the blizzard of March 2010 the snow was like 3 feet deep on the road leading up to there. So many live up there compared to before the Celtic tiger.
    One has to be really hardy and prepared as it is always colder there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It is close to where I live. But I don’t live up there.

I'm working down in ballyfoyle and I know what the hills around there can be like. I'm living on the foothills of MT Leinster myself so I will be stocking up on essentials over the weekend.

I'm working down in ballyfoyle and I know what the hills around there can be like. I'm living on the foothills of MT Leinster myself so I will be stocking up on essentials over the weekend.

That’s cool, you are in my area.
    I’m under 3 miles to Ballyfoyle and about 2 miles to the brown mountain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

I'm North Kilkenny too getting laughed at for buying salt and shovel
    Can't wait till my dp needs to use them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Today's EC is the best run I have ever seen.
    I still get hairs standing on the back of my neck with the 16th December 2010 charts, but yeah this is pretty good :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GSF suggests this will be over on Friday next , low pressure to the south steering in milder air behind the cold plume.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Could anyone recommend a good radar App? Rain Today or Weather Radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Same in east Galway. Horizon and sky has that 'darker', Biscay look about it. A good drying breeze springing up too.

Here is how this morning's ECM 10 day prep anomaly looks. Looks really good for snow lovers in the east, and even better for those of us in the west who are looking for some decent dry weather after what has been a miserable damp winter thus far.

TR22rTn.png

Very happy with the output this morning. A more direct easterly flow rather than the maritime mixed slop of yesterday.

Out for a walk there now, there is a sharp east to south east breeze out some beautiful cloud scapes about, also starting to get static shocks off every thing, everyone in the village complaining, always happens when there is an easterly component in the wind.
    Outside kildare town

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

GSF suggests this will be over on Friday next , low pressure to the south steering in milder air behind the cold plume.

I will let it begin before looking for the end ,

Also all we know at the moment is cold is locked in , FI is around 96-120 hours , there has been a second SSW on the Canadian Vortex which is filtering into the model output now so next Friday is not at all on my radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

While it's always good to be prepared, it's a snow storm that's potentially coming, not the apocalypse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Vronsky wrote: »
    While it's always good to be prepared, it's a snow storm that's potentially coming, not the apocalypse.

You don't live up a mountain like Robert I can only assume :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I will let it begin before looking for the end ,

Also all we know at the moment is cold is locked in , FI is around 96-120 hours , there has been a second SSW on the Canadian Vortex which is filtering into the model output now so next Friday is not at all on my radar

I'm looking for the end as the start which is fairly obvious at this stage :)
    **** the snow, some of us need to get stuff planted in the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

The potential for this is awesome, I'm trying my best not to expect too much as sometimes these things can go pear shaped and we end up with an over watered down reality with temps 5 to 7 and dry, but with the ridiculous idea of not one but two SSWs, low solar activity and that outrageous jet profile seen on graphics from Met Office, I feel this is one of those times in history when everything has a strong possibility of coming together and leaving us all dumbfounded beyond belief by this time next week. As I said, I'm not letting myself get too excited (trying to remain cool and calm 'snow? What snow? Oh that snow, oh yeah!) but the potential for what may be coming is... ridiculous :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement