Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

Vronsky wrote: »
    While it's always good to be prepared, it's a snow storm that's potentially coming, not the apocalypse.

Yep, and lot of people don't have the option to stay at home, whether the roads have been treated or not.

So, here hoping for a dry cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

The potential for this is awesome, I'm trying my best not to expect too much as sometimes these things can go pear shaped and we end up with an over watered down reality with temps 5 to 7 and dry, but with the ridiculous idea of not one but two SSWs, low solar activity and that outrageous jet profile seen on graphics from Met Office, I feel this is one of those times in history when everything has a strong possibility of coming together and leaving us all dumbfounded beyond belief by this time next week. As I said, I'm not letting myself get too excited (trying to remain cool and calm 'snow? What snow? Oh that snow, oh yeah!) but the potential for what may be coming is... ridiculous :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

GSF suggests this will be over on Friday next , low pressure to the south steering in milder air behind the cold plume.

Not supported by the majority of its ensembles at this stage, tbf. Something to look out for though, and given the conditions could lead to a proper snowy breakdown.

Also worth looking out for a few rogue models, the ARPEGE seems intent on keeping the high further south thus shunting the worst of the cold away. Give it until tomorrow evening before we have a clear picture I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

i wonder when will the first weather advisory by Met Eireann be issued,perhaps during the weekend.

lets hope Evelyn is on the forecast roster by the weekend,havent seen her in ages on the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

While it's always good to be prepared, it's a snow storm that's potentially coming, not the apocalypse.

There’s very little difference when you live above 600ft asl in these conditions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

i wonder when will the first weather advisory by Met Eireann be issued,perhaps during the weekend.

Yeah, Saturday or Sunday I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Due to uncertainty their sensible approach is what they’re doing
    Every map on tv has that Siberian air flow chart and talk of icy conditions
    This was the talk of my local SuperValu yesterday
    So the general idea is getting through

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really starting to feel the effects of the continental air here now. Feeling chilly but in a different way to the usual Atlantic chill. Very dry air too and the sky has a strange creamy grey and brown look to it. Currently 6C.

Temps here in south Meath may not get above 5C tomorrow or Saturday and by Sunday it may not get above 3 or 4C.

I've a feeling there is going to be a lot of happy and unhappy people along the east coast next week with wind direction having a serious effect on who see's snow and who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Yep, and lot of people don't have the option to stay at home, whether the roads have been treated or not.

So, here hoping for a dry cold spell.
    Absolutely.
    People who work in frontline health services who just can't take days off at the drop of a hat. Much as I adore snow, I'm hoping the councils heed the warnings and sort out route-clearing in a sensible fashion.

Spent this morning with Mr Chicken Run putting extra lagging on exterior pipes and lagging the gas bottles (after the Christmas Day I couldn't put the kettle on cos the calor cylinder froze !!!!)

Also indicative of what is going on, Spain and Portugal look like they will be having a rather wet week ahead as the jet stream is buckling south over them, and some form of Iberian low is forecast to appear. I think I remember hearing Portugal had one of its wettest winters on record in 2010 because of this abnormal setup, and with the Jet Stream being sent south.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Absolutely freezing out today. Very dry air.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This will be a good and frequent report worth following over the coming days.

https://twitter.com/kishlhouse/status/966651212224491520

Wind still southerly yet though

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/966651204939010049

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very different kind of cold today in dublin, very crisp and no feel of damp / moisture in the air. I remember in winter 2010 it was similar, really crisp dry cold, much more pleasant winter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It destroys concrete pavements (salt attacks concrete). Use wisely or you risk causing damage

It's like beer, great in moderation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Very different kind of cold today in dublin, very crisp and no feel of damp / moisture in the air. I remember in winter 2010 it was similar, really crisp dry cold, much more pleasant winter weather.

that weather reminds me of winter in madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Only stopped raining here in Wexford an hour ago. It was a miserable morning. 5c and rain.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Calibos wrote: »
    During the big 80's snow events a a child I lived in Firhouse which is at the foot of Montpellier hill with the Hellfire Club. Seemed like we got snow and ice every Winter there during the 80's all the while Granny in Bray reported nothing of much consequence. Moved back to Bray in 1987 just in time for that event.

I keep seeing people reminiscing about a big event in 1991 in this thread but it was obviously just a dusting in Bray because I certainly must not have found it too noteworthy.

I don't remember anything in 1991 either? Maybe I'm just getting old though. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pilly wrote: »
    I don't remember anything in 1991 either? Maybe I'm just getting old though. :D

1991 was decent enough. I was still in school then and managed to get a whole week off School due to some very deep snow. We had well over a foot of snow at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    1991 was decent enough. I was still in school then and managed to get a whole week off School due to some very deep snow. We had well over a foot of snow at some point.

Yeah remember that well, i was in 1st year in secondary school, and around 2pm it started raining before quickly turning to snow and within 2 hours it was chaos, the bus home usually took 40mins, only this time it took 90mins, im not sure she even made it back in for her second run, think the bus conked out before she got back to navan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It says 8 degrees where I am today but feels very cold. I think the wind chill next week will be unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Shocked it’s gone quiet in here. Any news on the most recent run? Thanks.

Yeah remember that well, i was in 1st year in secondary school, and around 2pm it started raining before quickly turning to snow and within 2 hours it was chaos, the bus home usually took 40mins, only this time it took 90mins, im not sure she even made it back in for her second run, think the bus conked out before she got back to navan

I remember waking up early for school that morning and there was moderate sleety rain. This then turned to heavy rain after I arrived in school and then it stopped around 11.30am and last class before main lunch we were sitting there and all of a sudden dinner plates out of nowhere, the place was covered within minutes. School closed about 3 pm to send everyone home.

I remember ringing my dad in work and it was still raining in Dublin when we already had about 3 inches on the ground. As rush hour started then it snowed in Dublin and there was chaos. I remember my dad's one hour journey home took close to three hours that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

That moisture on the GFS coming across the north sea on Monday morning looks promising, surely after passing over England and building up a bit of steam in the Irish sea there'd be some streamers and lake effect going on early Tuesday and into the morning?

We can live in hope...

gfs-2-96.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Shocked it’s gone quiet in here. Any news on the most recent run? Thanks.

This morning's ECM is incredible. Prolonged severe cold, good chance of snow.

the GFS aint too shabby either

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Why does everyone on here want snow? When the damn thing melts the place will be drenched again, this dry frosty weather is 100 times better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's too far out to get into the detail but from an IMBY perspective I'm looking for winds to got Northeast to really deliver snow showers, an Easterly doesn't have enough sea surface to produce the snow amounts a Northeast wind can bring, assuming you aren't in the IOM shaddow that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why does everyone on here want snow? When the damn thing melts the place will be drenched again, this dry frosty weather is 100 times better

Have you lived in Ireland long at all?

Dont worry, you'll probably have a week of dry and frosty between now and any significant snowfall. By then no doubt you'll be tired of the frost too.

dacogawa wrote: »
    That moisture on the GFS coming across the north sea on Monday morning looks promising, surely after passing over England and building up a bit of steam in the Irish sea there'd be some streamers and lake effect going on early Tuesday and into the morning?

We can live in hope...

gfs-2-96.png?6

ICON 6z run has Irish Sea streamers popping up overnight on Monday into Tuesday towards the end of its run.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

i was out for 30 minutes on a bike earlier in dublin and for 7c it felt absolutely freezing! next week is going to be unreal xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

LIDL are selling waders for €6.99

I may have bought a pair

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement