Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

frash wrote: »
    LIDL are selling waders for €6.99

I may have bought a pair
    For ice fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Feeling very chilly here in Cork this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

For ice fishing?

More snowman building but needed something to keep trousers dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

ICON 6z run has Irish Sea streamers popping up overnight on Monday into Tuesday towards the end of its run.

Can the ICON model streamers?

I thought that was beyond the abilities of all the models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was in my local Aldi,loads of thermals,base layers and winter gear reduced. They even had now and ice clearers for cars for €2.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Helen on the RTE weather didn't go past Sunday but said to expect frosty nights over the weekend, there was a nice little snow cloud on the east coast on the graphic at the end for Tuesday though...

Is it all the sudden traffic on the site or just me that's having problems with pages loading or even connecting with the boards servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is it all the sudden traffic on the site or just me that's having problems with pages loading or even connecting with the boards servers?

Happening me too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tempresult_jow9.gif

The animation shows progression to Monday night of Siberian sourced air mass (temperature @ 1,500 m) down in to Europe, the UK and Ireland. The scale, depth and broadness of the cold in to Europe is highly irregular for it's potency over such a wide area.

Well on track this morning for very cold weather from Sunday night. We are already starting to draw in the cold surface temperatures from the continent. Humidity is falling and the temperatures will be falling back at night under clear skies. It's a very different feel to what we have experienced previously.

I think it's a good idea to carry out initial preparations at this point on a just-in-case basis depending on your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

gabeeg wrote: »
    Can the ICON model streamers?

I thought that was beyond the abilities of all the models?

It’s modelling precipitation of some sort, as is the ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaleB

Waterford poster here, ive seen some people sayin ourselves and cork are meant to get it bad. Any idea of when temperatures are due to drop? And how severe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I know the weather app on iPhones is fairly useless at the best of times, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen a forecast like this. :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current Td (dew point temps) across Europa:

2CXJpWH.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DaleB wrote: »
    Waterford poster here, ive seen some people sayin ourselves and cork are meant to get it bad. Any idea of when temperatures are due to drop? And how severe?

No worse than anyone else, but very unseasonal certainly.

By Monday / Tuesday you'll be looking at severe frosts right down to the coast, with frost holding on all day in inland and sheltered locations, despite the sunshine and lengthening days.

Snow potential isnt likely until maybe next Thursday and even then it will depend on where you are, a southeast wind could bring onshore snow to Waterford and Cork, potentially a fair bit on hills. You will know more by next Wedsnesday.

The missus was laughing at me when I arrived home earlier with yet more coal and logs. I told her "better to have them here than trying to get them next week".
    She's expecting a few flurries and is in for a serious fright next week when this cold beds in over the country.

I know the weather app on iPhones is fairly useless at the best of times, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen a forecast like this. :pac::D

Not sure if available for Iphones but the 'WeatherPro' app from Meteogroup is probably the best weather app out there.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Shocked it’s gone quiet in here. Any news on the most recent run? Thanks.

Everyone is out stocking up for snowmageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Everyone is out stocking up for snowmageddon.

The joys of natural gas nothing to buy here 😊

• Advertisement

Anyone notice that since both the BBC and RTE changed their graphical outputs, that the weather is becoming more '80s'?

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

frash wrote: »
    LIDL are selling waders for €6.99

I may have bought a pair

Looking forward to next weeks offerings in Lidl

257478893.jpg

3602103690.jpg

3839607135.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldn't be surprised to see some dandruff drifting in the air near lampposts from Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

pilly wrote: »
    I don't remember anything in 1991 either? Maybe I'm just getting old though. :D

We had an exceptionally heavy fall on the evening of Saturday 9th February in north county Dublin.
    Thursday and Friday had lighter falls, that thawed during the day on the coast , in spite of the brutally cold airmass.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Gonzo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see some dandruff drifting in the air near lampposts from Saturday night.

I'm super confused! I havent a clue tbh but adore following this thread- the cold spell is pretty much a given -right? But precipitation isn't? - at least for a week? and that seems to be an unknown as of yet? So how could snow even begin to start Sat? Every forecast is saying ptretty much dry up to next Wed - no? Hopefully I am missing something/wrong!??! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that since both the BBC and RTE changed their graphical outputs, that the weather is becoming more '80s'?

I did notice when looking back at the Bill Giles BBC forecast from Feb '86 that someone posted the other day, that the BBC graphics from 32 years ago are actually more clear and legible than the 'upgrade' RTÉ / Met É just gave theirs in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

In Maynooth now, experiencing the coldest 7 degrees I can remember. Next week will be Baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will be ice skating on the Thames next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

davidsr20 wrote: »
    The joys of natural gas nothing to buy here 😊

If there's a power cut your boiler won't work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not sure if available for Iphones but the 'WeatherPro' app from Meteogroup is probably the best weather app out there.

It is
    Lite version is free
    Full version is €2.99
    What’s the difference just ad’s?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement