Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its so late in the winter now, end of feb would be highly unusual to get significant snow coming out of nowhere.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

silverharp wrote: »
    Its so late in the winter now, end of feb would be highly unusual to get significant snow coming out of nowhere.

It's coming out of Siberia - pay attention! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Why does everyone on here want snow? When the damn thing melts the place will be drenched again, this dry frosty weather is 100 times better

Sshh. You'll be called a troll

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm super confused! I havent a clue tbh but adore following this thread- the cold spell is pretty much a given -right? But precipitation isn't? - at least for a week? and that seems to be an unknown as of yet? So how could snow even begin to start Sat? Every forecast is saying ptretty much dry up to next Wed - no? Hopefully I am missing something/wrong!??! :-)

I've seen several easterlies since the 80s starting off like this one. Dry to begin with but look closely under a light at night and see tiny bits of snow dust in the air. It's usually so light that it doesn't show up in precipitation charts and does not even make any sort of a dusting.

Today is really cold now, even more noticeable now than this morning. There is also a slight haze in the distance, the sort of haze I only ever see during continental air in both winter and summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

that continental style haze on the horizon now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If there's a power cut your boiler won't work
    A high-wattage power inverter is handy for such eventualities.

During Ophelia I ran the inverter off a leisure battery for a while, then off the car.

Presumably I could wire the boiler into the inverter. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

If there's a power cut your boiler won't work

Lol in frost. We should be ok we never lost it in the storms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Cork City from top of Blarney Street at 11.39am today ( 22.2.2018 )

Cork_City_Pano_22012018_11_39am.jpg

Ominous looking skys here today :D

RIGHT CLICK / OPEN IMAGE IN NEW TAB FOR LARGER VERSION ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not sure about all you guys but this is where I would like to be today, Fuengirola Beach live view

https://www.webcamfuengirola.com/webcam-paseo/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

silverharp wrote: »

Irish weather history actually tends to suggest otherwise. Our most significant snowfalls over the years have been mid February onwards. In fact one of our greatest snow falls in the last fifty 100 years happened in April!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

davidsr20 wrote: »

We have lost power 3 times this winter
    Once for a few hours at the height of Ophelia
    Never during any other windstorm
    The other 2 times were due to heavy snow fall !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

aidanodr wrote: »
    Cork City from top of Blarney Street at 11.39am today ( 22.2.2018 )

Cork_City_Pano_22012018_11_39am.jpg

Ominous looking skys here today :D

Yes red warning conditions for severe broken passing cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

davidsr20 wrote: »

Thunder and lightning
    Weight of snow on trees and lines
    ESB crews unable to get to the faults

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not sure about all you guys but this is where I would like to be today, Fuengirola Beach live view

https://www.webcamfuengirola.com/webcam-paseo/

such a nice place that is. Been taking mostly yearly trips there since 7 years of age. They got up to 20C in Fuengirola yesterday so some warmth already starting to make inroads there. They've had a fairly chilly and at times unsettled winter there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Thunder and lightning
    Weight of snow on trees and lines
    ESB crews unable to get to the faults

Completely frozen hydroelectric reservoirs not being able to produce power. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've seen several easterlies since the 80s starting off like this one. Dry to begin with but look closely under a light at night and see tiny bits of snow dust in the air. It's usually so light that it doesn't show up in precipitation charts and does not even make any sort of a dusting.

Today is really cold now, even more noticeable now than this morning. There is also a slight haze in the distance, the sort of haze I only ever see during continental air in both winter and summer.

I remember those wispy times in the 80's snow flakes dancing and swirling around in the air.
    It feels like one of those days today.
    As my Dad who's from Kerry would say, it feels like schnoow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

From a Dublin point of view I'm not mad on the GFS it keeps the flow South of east most of the time. Wicklow mountains could soak up all the good stuff. ECM is epic east or north easy winds all the way. This is the best model watching in years.

Hopefully that is the case for Dublin. Looking at the charts I think Dublin is not going to get away scott free but I do agree with you regarding the Wicklow Mountains and the effect it could have on snowfall in Dublin. Fingers crossed that is the case anywat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Hopefully that is the case for Dublin. Looking at the charts I think Dublin is not going to get away scott free but I do agree with you regarding the Wicklow Mountains and the effect it could have on snowfall in Dublin. Fingers crossed that is the case anywat

Sick, the snow gods will send huge blizzards your way for talk like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Sick, the snow gods will send huge blizzards your way for talk like that.

Love the cold crispy blue sky days but snow no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Love the cold crispy blue sky days but snow no thanks.

Well you should see plenty more of them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I need to drive from Dublin to Donegal on Monday night at about midnight. Will the roads be alright or should I start looking for a hotel?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I see Yr.no has changed its mind again over yesterday and it's easterly all the way for Dublin next week. Some very exciting graphics for any elevated areas of south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Who let Gerry at the Farming Forecast? Mention of snow covered fields removed :D

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farm-commentary.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that since both the BBC and RTE changed their graphical outputs, that the weather is becoming more '80s'?

Watched the weather forecast on the BBC earlier, nice to see a forecaster excited about next week, he seemed to be vindicated about the forecasting of this cold spell from two weeks ago.
    Would that forecast come from the met Office or the meteor group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Despite little wind today,it feels a lot colder outside then what the actual temp is. 7c here atm but feels some what colder than that. Dry air from the continent ,the very first signs of the coming cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I see Yr.no has changed its mind again over yesterday and it's easterly all the way for Dublin next week. Some very exciting graphics for any elevated areas of south Dublin.
    Just checked (obviously enough) Roundwood - looking great from Tuesday on right through to the weekend.

One minor dilemma as have a medical appointment on Wednesday morning, and will have to debate making an early call to cancel, but then if things verify I'm not sure they'll be expecting anyone anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Gonzo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see some dandruff drifting in the air near lampposts from Saturday night.
    I think thats what they call diamond dust, The small amount of moisture in the air being frozen out and floating around.
    really beautiful to see twinkling in the low sun or moonlight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

awaiting patiently the midday run.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

frash wrote: »
    LIDL are selling waders for €6.99

I may have bought a pair

Lidl Ennis selling the little electronic weather stations for €20....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The first few runs seem to show a slightly deeper low near Sardinia in the day ahead, along with slightly higher 500 hPa heights towards the Faeroes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement