Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Lidl Ennis selling the little electronic weather stations for €20....
    They are terrible. They lose contact with the outdoor thermometer.
    It's a known issue with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Quick addition:
    At t+30z the easterly feed seems that little bit faster, with a corresponding reduction in the size of the cold airmass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

1pm Monday we have -10c uppers arriving -

icon-1-96.png?22-12

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've seen several easterlies since the 80s starting off like this one. Dry to begin with but look closely under a light at night and see tiny bits of snow dust in the air. It's usually so light that it doesn't show up in precipitation charts and does not even make any sort of a dusting.

Today is really cold now, even more noticeable now than this morning. There is also a slight haze in the distance, the sort of haze I only ever see during continental air in both winter and summer.

Thanks Gonzo!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Liffey4A wrote: »
    They are terrible. They lose contact with the outdoor thermometer.
    It's a known issue with them

Cheers
    I didn't buy one... Still have a much earlier model which works fine, despite the irritating graphic of a bloody frog (puts his bobble hat & scarf on when it's gonna snow FFS)

Still also use my late granddad's aneroid barometer, so old it's calibrated in inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Icon run is very snowy midweek...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've seen several easterlies since the 80s starting off like this one. Dry to begin with but look closely under a light at night and see tiny bits of snow dust in the air. It's usually so light that it doesn't show up in precipitation charts and does not even make any sort of a dusting.

Today is really cold now, even more noticeable now than this morning. There is also a slight haze in the distance, the sort of haze I only ever see during continental air in both winter and summer.

I'm curious as to the cause of the haze. Pollution?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The east seems to be mentioned a lot with regard to possible disruptive snow; how is the south looking at the moment?

leahyl wrote: »
    The east seems to be mentioned a lot with regard to possible disruptive snow; how is the south looking at the moment?

Snowy based on current charts, especially under any South of East flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

donegal. wrote: »
    I need to drive from Dublin to Donegal on Monday night at about midnight. Will the roads be alright or should I start looking for a hotel?

Its going to be prob sunday before anyone would be able to give an any way half accurate prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

97FD5B3C-E595-40D5-866F-93AD4D59339E.png.0f1edbef3a3aad30888e39962c57639a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A smashing UKM @ 96hrs

UW96-21.GIF?22-16

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

leahyl wrote: »

A south-easterly wind would be critical for snow in Cork I'd imagine.

As for the east, it's much more complex with Ulster, Isle Of Man and Wales shadows to taken into account. Could be as late as Monday morning before we know the exact locations for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

is that the -16 isotherm getting into the northern third of the country :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seeing that forecast about the coldest weather in the UK for 5 years has me wondering if I'm right that we missed out that year as we were under the Atlantic influence which blocked any cold from moving further West?
    Iirc we had a damp,grey spell at that time while most of The UK froze.
    No Atlantic blocking this time, bring on the cold.My winter tyres might get to do what they are on the car for eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Check out these Cliff of Moher type clouds rolling in over Dublin! Something is a coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

is that the -16 isotherm getting into the northern third of the country :eek:

And -20 within 100km or so behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

flanzer wrote: »
    Check out these Cliff of Moher type clouds rolling in over Dublin! Something is a coming!

Looks like a giant Table Mountain !!!

Much improved UKM compared to yesterdays. A extremely cold chart that

UW120-21.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Seeing that forecast about the coldest weather in the UK for 5 years has me wondering if I'm right that we missed out that year as we were under the Atlantic influence which blocked any cold from moving further West?

Yes it never really got to Ireland. If i'm not mistaken it persisted in the UK for nearly all of March, and the Channel Islands had an epic snowstorm during that time too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes it never really got to Ireland. If i'm not mistaken it persisted in he UK for nearly all of March, and the Channel Islands had an epic snowstorm during that time too

Ireland still had an impressively cold March in terms of the mean temperatures. The IMT was only 3.3c - March 1962 was 4.0c. March 2012 was 8.8c.

Yes, on the 11th March.

When it came to the extremes of snow, Republic of Ireland was on the margin of having extreme March snow events like the 21st/22nd blizzard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DWpe7eLW0AAz4SR.jpg:large

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Much improved UKM compared to yesterdays. A extremely cold chart that

UW120-21.GIF

Can I ask... What units are those, on the colour gradients?

Snow would be building up @144hrs, deep drifts in upland parts of Wicklow...

A sensational chart from the UKM

UW144-21.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd like to buy a ticket for the Siberian Express please.

I've confidence in this event now, the beginning is within the reliable range and it's looking good. We are already out of our Atlantic regime and simply waiting for the easterlies to take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Anyone else’s boards acting the maggot all day?

UKM in 850hPa terms 96hr through 144hr

UW96-7.GIF?22-17

UW120-7.GIF?22-17

UW144-7.GIF?22-17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Anyone else’s boards acting the maggot all day?

cos too many of us are refreshing this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Kamili wrote: »
    cos too many of us are refreshing this thread :D

Probably is !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement