Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Don't mean to be Dublin centric,But how deep will this snow be in Dublin and how long will it last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

On this run still snowing heavy in Cork city on wenesday of next week having started on Monday ,piling up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pentecost wrote: »
    An idiot writes.....we’re not actually looking at the potential for -15/-16 type temperatures are we?! The country will go mental next weekend if this keeps up.

The charts shown with -15 are for the temperature at 850hpa (about 1.5 km above ground), daytime temperatures would hover around freezing and nighttime temperatures would generally be about -2 to -8 (highest in the east). But it's quite possible to get down as low as -15/16 at night in places with laying snow away from the east coast as happened in Dec 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't mean to be Dublin centric,But how deep will this snow be in Dublin and how long will it last

Not a iota, and we won't until the hours before. We want the cold in before we look at precip!

km79 wrote: »
    And at night ?

You’d be better off not knowing :D
    But in east Galway below -10 assuming most of Leinster and Munster is under a deep blanket of snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

On this run still snowing heavy in Cork city on wenesday of next week having started on Monday ,piling up

I hope those showers are spreading to inland Cork!

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Its not an exaggeration to say next week we could see conditions similar to late February 1947 if some of these charts come off, truly exceptional.

What happened in Feb 1947?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I've never seen anything like this in 7 years of model watching, even during failed, falling-at-the-last-hurdle easterlies which looked hugely promising. Most of the country looks likely to see significant snow and more importantly extreme cold. I have a good feeling the east but especially southern coast (which I vaguely remember missing out a bit in 2010) could see major falls of snow during next week. :) Absolutely spectacular.

I still have a mild sinking feeling that something will have to give over the next few days (although even a major downgrade at this stage would still mean a decent cold spell), but the cross-model agreement over the past few days is very robust.

I would still urge you all not to get carried away with yourselves just yet. If all this is still there by Friday (give or take a few tweaks) we will definitely be all set. This is going to be a tortuous week, and hopefully it will be worth the wait, but we should really be prepared for every eventuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Rough idea on how long the beast will stay in Ireland? A week? 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

And at night ?

God knows, Villain who is a member on here recorded -17 I think in Carlow in 2010. He is in a frost hollow but still it shows what is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

No they are 850hpa temperatures, Translate to about 0c daytime surface temps
    Rougies wrote: »
    The charts shown with -15 are for the temperature at 850hpa (about 1.5 km above ground), daytime temperatures would hover around freezing and nighttime temperatures would generally be about -2 to -8 (highest in the east). But it's quite possible to get down as low as -15/16 at night in places with laying snow away from the east coast as happened in Dec 2010.

Thank you folks. I told you I was an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I won't let hopes get up until the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Timistry

If the models even 80% verify, surely it will be a red warning with a frostbite warning in place too?!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

What are the criteria for a Red "Cold Weather - Snow" Alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If anything remotely like the latest model run by the GFS occurred large parts of this country's infrastructure would be paralysed.

Fun to look at but remember to keep a level head.

On track for the severe end of the spectrum. Will update tomorrow.

I hope those showers are spreading to inland Cork!

Oh they will on this run,no doubt about it in my opinion
    It’s impossible to be exact
    But you look at the sea surface temps and the 850 temps and that long fetch,it’s textbook Lake Ontario stuff
    Those could blast in 30 miles handy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Bicycle wrote: »
    What are the criteria for a Red "Cold Weather - Snow" Alert?

2 inches in south Dublin I’d say.

Oh they will on this run,no doubt about it in my opinion
    It’s impossible to be exact
    But you look at the sea surface temps and the 850 temps and that long fetch,it’s textbook Lake Ontario stuff
    Those could blast in 30 miles handy

Lake effect snow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have a Finnish friend and he says next week it is forecast to be -30C in southern Finland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

gally74 wrote: »

And in the rest of the country? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

George, thank you with those charts I'm positively giddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

gally74 wrote: »

A flake being spotted falling outside a window at Montrose. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    18_180_ukthickness850.png?cb=30

-16c 850 temps over wales... Look where the 510 dam line is :eek:

Good grief. My jaw has just hit the floor. it's as if the globe has flipped to spinning east to west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

My dad often speaks about it and says the snow was up to the windows..he was only 6 at the time so that may be slightly exaggerated..ðŸ˜

Good grief. My jaw has just hit the floor. it's as if the globe has flipped to spinning east to west

No idea what I'm,looking at in these charts is that -14 degrees in daytime in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Well it was the snowiest winter of the century and was severely cold, It would be astonishing to see that level of cold and snow for even a few days but today's charts would cause similar conditions next week and beyond...

As Kermit says our infrastructure would be paralysed - This level of severity has only really shown up with consistency today though and so is far from certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

And at night ?

i'd say -8, or possibly even lower, over snowfields is possible

Colser wrote: »
    My dad often speaks about it and says the snow was up to the windows..he was only 6 at the time so that may be slightly exaggerated..ðŸ˜

No exaggeration, drifts covered the top of ESB poles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And a beautiful end of the chart, with a low pressure system moving down from the north dumping inches of snow countrywide.

prectypeuktopo.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement