Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That UKMO 144 would have most of the country’s max temp below freezing on wenesday
    I’m expecting equal or colder from the ECMWF tonight,the March of cold is huge and relentless,such that models have no choice but to churn out these charts

So how do you feel about March snowfall now?:D
    Do you see this as being as memorable as what you experienced in the 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Fantasic charts on the GFS.

Could be one to remember. Roll on the ECM!

yeah, it really does look like a direct hit for once for our tiny bit of land in the middle of the mild atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Gonzo wrote: »
    With those sort of charts and if there is snow cover and a clear night, it's possible that night time temps could reach -10C somewhere next week. Daytime temps certainly close to 0C.

Are you hopeful of decent snow cover in Meath with this set up next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

JCX BXC wrote:
    Fantasic charts on the GFS.

JCX BXC wrote:
    Could be one to remember. Roll on the ECM!

When is that due?6?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS goes on to develop a major snow event by next Saturday.

Back to the medium term - big upgrades for snow potential from Monday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Last time I saw charts upgrading like this as we got closer to the event was 2010- Next week is going to shock anyone not reading this forum, and maybe even us...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

:eek::eek:

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

well, well, trust our local Met man to put a dampener on things.... https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/weather-northern-ireland-to-avoid-siberian-blast-as-britain-braces-itself-for-big-freeze-36630425.html

`Weather: Northern Ireland to avoid Siberian blast as Britain braces itself for big freeze
    Stuart Brooks from the Met Office said the Irish Sea would provide an extra layer of protection against the biting Arctic winds.
    "Northern Ireland will feel quite still and settled compared to other areas," he said.`

Eh ??? !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The charts certainly look epic for the east. Hopefully there will be plenty kinks for showers to make it inland.

I've just been informed Gerry Murphy has booked sick leave for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

prectypeuktopo.png

God dammit cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The GFS buries us under snow. Amazing run. If there is cross model consensus in 48 hours I will start getting proper excited

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

prectypeuktopo.png

Cork snow shield intact :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

prectypeuktopo.png

Eh wtf?! Cork!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Are you hopeful of decent snow cover in Meath with this set up next week?

for now it's total guesswork. Once the snow showers get going the wind direction is everything.

at my location if the wind is NNE, then I get the Ulster shadow.

A direct NE wind get's me snow trains with the train running from the south-west coast of Scotland, passing by Ulster and hitting Meath and parts of Louth. This is a very narrow train and the slightest shift in wind direction brings me back into the Isle Of Man shadow or the Ulster shadow.

If the NE wind has a more easterly element to it i am under the Isle Of Man shadow. A direct easterly then i'm all clear again with snow trains.

Some south-easterly's are bad as I then fall under the Welsh shadows.

However I haven't had many experiences of Wales shadow, It's usually the Isle of Man that gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

loughside wrote: »
    well, well, trust our local Met man to put a dampener on things.... https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/weather-northern-ireland-to-avoid-siberian-blast-as-britain-braces-itself-for-big-freeze-36630425.html

`Weather: Northern Ireland to avoid Siberian blast as Britain braces itself for big freeze
    Stuart Brooks from the Met Office said the Irish Sea would provide an extra layer of protection against the biting Arctic winds.
    "Northern Ireland will feel quite still and settled compared to other areas," he said.`

Eh ??? !!!!

Utter rubbish. What sort of met scientist is he meant to be. Deep cold fetch over moderate cold water, if anything NI will get more snow showers than lots of interior Britain.

Anyway, get yourself onto the UK Met Office youtube channel for the most surreal forecast you are likely to see, just posted for the week ahead.

In summary, deep cold by Monday, coastal showers of snow, cold enough for snow anywhere in UK in Ireland, low pressure to make an appearance eventually mid week and risk of, substantial, widespread, disruptive snow...

its depressing to see all the snowfall out in the atlantic to the northwest of ireland in that northeasterly flow,completely missing land,i want it all gathered up and saved.

its depressing to see all the snowfall out in the atlantic to the northwest of ireland in that northeasterly flow,completely missing land,i want it all gathered up and saved.

The longer the cold persists the greater the chance of other areas(like yours) getting in on the action at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    Eh wtf?! Cork!!!

We may be grateful for the respite by then with a bit of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

For anyone using twitter .. heres a hashtag to follow ..

#BeastFromTheEast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Looking positive for a huge dumping of snow!

tenor.gif?itemid=5394054

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The risk of severe weather is increasing. Quite a bit more snow likely from Monday throughout next week on latest guidance and we'll be testing low temperature records as well.

December 2010 we had -10 daytime highs here in the west at one stage, think it got down to -17 one night. Will we really see that tested anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

God dammit cork

LMFAO! Im sorry, I shouldnt laugh, its just Cork snow Murphy's Law aspect of it. Shields UP!! :D Theres even a little notch for the Waterford Snow Shield!!

Obviously that chart means little at this stage but its hilarious all the same. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Zzippy wrote: »
    December 2010 we had -10 daytime highs here in the west at one stage, think it got down to -17 one night. Will we really see that tested anywhere?

The 12z UKMO chart @144 hours would suggest that very possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Calibos wrote: »
    LMFAO! Im sorry, I shouldnt laugh, its just Cork snow Murphy's Law aspect of it. Shields UP!! :D Theres even a little notch for the Waterford Snow Shield!!

Obviously that chart means little at this stage but its hilarious all the same. :D

Oh Calibos you are mean! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

How the f does that happen with cork on charts? Like seriously. We get sh1t loads of rain but as soon as ut comes to snow nothing. Its actually funny how stupod it is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Calibos wrote: »

It's not funny :(:(:( haha :p.

Time to move to the west coast. Snow in norterlies, easterlies.. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Zzippy wrote: »

It's possible but doubtful, i'm talking more February records specifically. Or even more likely March records.

Need local conditions to be perfect to beat records. A lot of variables have to come together perfectly.

I've just been informed Gerry Murphy has booked sick leave for next week.

spotted at Dublin airport,wearing dark bono shades,with quite a large number of suitcases early this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

Holy Moly.

Back in 2010, the cold snap left us without power..which left us without heat..then the pipes and water tank (located outside on a flat roof) froze so we had no water either...essentially I was living in a cave for a few days!

Living in a much better house now but I better pull out the thermals and the camping stove incase we get a repeat!

Thanks again to everyone posting and explaining the charts! Bring on the sneachta..or should I say 'принести снег!'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement