Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

spotted at Dublin airport,wearing dark bono shades,with quite a large number of suitcases early this afternoon.

He's off to Europe to modify all the wind turbines so they act like huge fans to blow cold air back east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Calibos wrote: »
    LMFAO! Im sorry, I shouldnt laugh, its just Cork snow Murphy's Law aspect of it. Shields UP!! :D Theres even a little notch for the Waterford Snow Shield!!

Obviously that chart means little at this stage but its hilarious all the same. :D

Snow joke apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Time to move to the west coast. Snow in norterlies, easterlies.. haha

We get snothing here in West Clare, this year was the first year in many many years where snow actually settled on grass and cars, and that was melted within an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

loughside wrote: »
    well, well, trust our local Met man to put a dampener on things.... https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/weather-northern-ireland-to-avoid-siberian-blast-as-britain-braces-itself-for-big-freeze-36630425.html

`Weather: Northern Ireland to avoid Siberian blast as Britain braces itself for big freeze
    Stuart Brooks from the Met Office said the Irish Sea would provide an extra layer of protection against the biting Arctic winds.
    "Northern Ireland will feel quite still and settled compared to other areas," he said.`

Eh ??? !!!!

A certain section of our northern neighbours won't like being treated differently to Britain.

:eek::eek:

prectypeuktopo.png

That straight line above cork has to be an error yeah ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its going to be a little strange to be building snowmen and having snowball fights at 6pm in daylight...cough...I mean taking an after-dinner stroll to admire the beauty of natures Crystaline Winter Snowscapes!. :D

So used to Dec/Jan snow events were its dark at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The upgrading trend today is phenomenal. We are locking into something extreme. I have never seen anything like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Oh Gerry

Calibos wrote: »
    Its going to be a little strange to be building snowmen and having snowball fights at 6pm in daylight...cough...I mean taking an after-dinner stroll to admire the beauty of natures Crystaline Winter Snowscapes!. :D

So used to Dec/Jan snow events were its dark at 4pm.

What's going to be strange is all those people just north of the straight line above cork lobbing snowballs at those of us just south of the line with no snow to throw back at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think the lord and saviour for all of this is Sudden Stratospheric Warming and especially that Canadian Warming that occurred even if it caused the models to have a seizure. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

The upgrading trend today is phenomenal. We are locking into something extreme. I have never seen anything like this before.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Re Cork I presume everyone knows that snow chart is only rubbish.
    Indeed the opposite is true the closer to the coast the better.
    I'd say Cork will see plenty between Tuesday and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Def change in the air mass in Dublin city centre. Dry and quite cool already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

nc-snow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

God dammit cork

Yes, I'm just under that rain line....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

How come 6 degrees other days doesn't feel as cold as 6 degrees today?? Surely 6 degrees is 6 degrees?? That's alot of 6 degrees, I think I'm doing slowly mad with all this weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Its getting nippy out now, whats it gona be like next week?

I tells ye lads hibernation is the only way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Def change in the air mass in Dublin city centre. Dry and quite cool already.
    Yes, there's already has an icy feel to that breeze and it hasn't even turned easterly yet!

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Yes, I'm just under that rain line....

That's just an error in the model, it seems to think it'll rain at the edge of every band of rain, even if the temperature is well below 0c below it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Sorry if this has already been posted on this thread but how low do temperatures have to be to warrant yellow orange or even red warnings by Met Eireann? So far all that I have read being forecast on the ME site is very cold weather from the weekend onwards but no low temperature warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Lumen wrote: »
    A high-wattage power inverter is handy for such eventualities.

During Ophelia I ran the inverter off a leisure battery for a while, then off the car.

Presumably I could wire the boiler into the inverter. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Fireworks in the snow are always pretty. Could you let us know a date and time as well as a safe vantage point?

Sorry if this has already been posted on this thread but how low do temperatures have to be to warrant yellow orange or even red warnings by Met Eireann? So far all that I have read being forecast on the ME site is very cold weather from the weekend onwards but no low temperature warning.

The creiteria is on the website.

Warnings are never issued until the day before, or at most 2 days before the event. A weather advisory is possible however.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Burts Bee wrote: »
    How come 6 degrees other days doesn't feel as cold as 6 degrees today?? Surely 6 degrees is 6 degrees?? That's alot of 6 degrees, I think I'm doing slowly mad with all this weather!

Yep, I want an answer to that puzzle also. Earlier walking around the Pheeno it was Baltic but 6degrees.

There was no wind either, so wind chill not a factor. But really raw cold, have not felt as cold at 0degrees!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yep, I want an answer to that puzzle also. Earlier walking around the Pheeno it was Baltic but 6degrees.

There was no wind either, so wind chill not a factor. But really raw cold, have not felt as cold at 0degrees!

Humidity perhaps?

Or maybe experiencing cold after a mild spell changes how it is perceived?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

What's going to be strange is all those people just north of the straight line above cork lobbing snowballs at those of us just south of the line with no snow to throw back at them.
    Brilliant! LMAO! This is exactly why I love this forum!

I remember feeling comfortably warm at 0C after a week of sub zero temps in Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Some of you are saying you’ve never seen anything like these images before but then others are saying it may not break records or be like for example 2010?

Any clarity there? Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

this is Dublin today according to netweather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well since 8am this morning which was actually nice and pleasent there is a definite chill in the air in cork. It's not freezing yet but certainly a change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement