Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for suggestions re the raw cold today. Could be humidity I suppose, it was damp when we started out alright.

Nothing that a stop in the Hole in the Wall couldn't sort out though, sure you'd have to have a pit stop, and a blazing fire was going there too. Brilliant.

Then had to trek back.

Looking forward to the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Forgive me if i've missed it, but i'm struggling to keep up with all the posts! Will it be windy too or just shovelloads of snow and cold?

I need to start prepping for the animals and theres no point lagging their shelters if its just going to blow off! I'm on a north easterly facing slope so they could have a rough week ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Sorry if this has already been posted on this thread but how low do temperatures have to be to warrant yellow orange or even red warnings by Met Eireann? So far all that I have read being forecast on the ME site is very cold weather from the weekend onwards but no low temperature warning.

This is from met.ie

The criteria for a red warning for snow/ice and low temperatures

3. Snow/Ice Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen.

4. Low Temperatures Minima of minus 10C or lower expected. Maxima of minus 2C or lower expected.

Orange Warning

3. Snow/Ice Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 3 cm or greater below 250m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation stable.

4. Low Temperatures Minima of minus 5C to minus 9C expected. Maxima of 0C or minus 1C expected.

Yellow Warning

3. Snow/Ice Scattered snow showers giving accumulations of less than 3 cm below 250m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation improving.

4. Low Temperatures Minima of minus 3C or minus 4C expected. Maxima of plus 1C or plus 2C expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Re. that straight line above Cork, it's due to the very coarse resolution of the model. The chart's pretty much useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The creiteria is on the website.

Warnings are never issued until the day before, or at most 2 days before the event. A weather advisory is possible however.

I don't see a specific low temperature mentioned on their site. For comparison what level, if any, weather warning was issued by ME back in the winter of 2010?

Edit. Sorry now I do see the temperature range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Its 6.15 and its feels like -3 but the air is so dry and has been all day here outside Sligo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Some of you are saying you’ve never seen anything like these images before but then others are saying it may not break records or be like for example 2010?

Any clarity there? Thanks ;)

Time of the year
    Extra hours of sunlight
    Extra strength in what sun we do see

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

KingBobby wrote: »
    Forgive me if i've missed it, but i'm struggling to keep up with all the posts! Will it be windy too or just shovelloads of snow and cold?

I need to start prepping for the animals and theres no point lagging their shelters if its just going to blow off! I'm on a north easterly facing slope so they could have a rough week ahead

Its giving wind and bucket loads of snow on Wednesday/Thursday according to the windy app.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

Not sure why people posting about tonight’s ECM, but looks good to my very very amateur eye.

Monday
    ECM0-96.GIF?22-0

Wednesday
    ECM0-144.GIF?22-0

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Hi Folks,

A really exciting time ahead of us, only 5 days left! If it doesn't go tits up then we will see the coldest week since December 2010! that time I wasnt living in west Wicklow but heard how bad it was up hehe, it is probably my last chance to see snow in Ireland as I will be moving back to Slovakia soon, back in to a very snowy region with breathtaking scenery in winter, have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NgSe318lj4

sorry for a bit of local promo, enjoy the wintry ride and stock up well on goodies and coal for those long lamp post nights! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

UKMO and ECM in very good agreement at +144, that's every model on board, it's happening...

ECM1-144.GIF?22-0

ECM maybe 12 hours slower

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ECM 12Z rolling out now and its another fantastic run to 144hrs
    -8 Uppers hit East Coast at 96hrs
    -10 countrywide at 120hrs
    -11 to -12 at 144hrs

Looking locked on now for an historic weather event of the likes we haven't seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

That straight line above cork has to be an error yeah ?

Well, if it's snowmaggeden all over Ireland and we're sitting here freezing in Cork with no snow.. Dammit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ECM 12z progs that HP a bit lower and yet to me a bit too fast to get to Greenland. The ECM 0z, or UKMO 12z looks more "realistic" tbh at t+144

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Another great forecast from the met office
    Could be epic snow if the low moves in from the Atlantic next week
    https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155601473059209/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Excellent from ECM

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Just spoke to a friend in Belarus -10 during the day & -20 at night time.
    At last Russian can be blamed for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

some really cold weather over Scandinavia now under the influence of the high pressure
    last night saw a low of minus 21 in the south of Sweden
    both the Swedish and Danish met services are forecasting for the weather to get even colder next week with temps down below minus 10 even in Denmark so with an easterly wind Ireland could do very well out of this set-up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

ECM so far...

That'll do pig:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Roughly -13 uppers in an ENE wind from South Dublin to Rosslare
    By that stage the M11 will be closed
    The streamer potential there in sub zero maxes is unparalleled ,I expect it will be like January 87 on steroids at that stage,complete and total snowmagedden

• Advertisement

This is very exciting stuff.

Such severe cold for late February/early March.. so much potential. Far better than 2013 and 2001 for us..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Been watching this the last few days and i will believe it when I see it,I hope we do. Met Office UK gave a 30 day forecast the other day is this unsual as they go by the 10 day logic??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

I'm stocking up for next week just in case it gets bad
    IMAG7001_zpsvwgtx4ja.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have to say I'm disappointed.....

.....that I'm able to keep up with the thread now that the ECM 12z is coming out. Wheres the mad deluge of charts and exclamations of disbelief?!?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Roughly -13 uppers in an ENE wind from South Dublin to Rosslare
    By that stage the M11 will be closed
    The streamer potential there in sub zero maxes is unparalleled ,I expect it will be like January 87 on steroids at that stage,complete and total snowmagedden

ENE is Brays Holy Grail Irish Sea track with the longest fetch! Woohoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Calibos wrote: »
    Have to say I'm disappointed.....

.....that I'm able to keep up with the thread now that the ECM 12z is coming out. Wheres the mad deluge of charts and exclamations of disbelief?!?! :D

Looks very mild to me. :cool:

The poem 'The Months' went something like this.. March brings breezes sharp and shrill to shake the dancing daffodil..

March could go a lot further and cover all daffodils preventing any dancing with snowfall!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

davidsr20 wrote: »
    The joys of natural gas nothing to buy here ��

At the risk of being slightly off topic, but relevant to the thread, natural gas is wonderful as long as there is also electricity to operate things like igniters, time clocks and pumps. In the absence of electricity, natural gas stays in the pipes unless it is being used for something like a coal effect fire, boilers won't work, and even a gas hob will may need matches to light it, as the ignition system may not work without power.

If we get snow of the magnitude that has been discussed, with high winds and low temperatures, that may cause some serious issues for overhead power distribution systems.

So, if nothing else, a box of matches or a gas lighter may be worthwhile investments.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I can give you the ECM as a gif if that'll do?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Looks very mild to me. :cool:

Mayb the a bit of frost in the morning:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement