Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Just spoke to a friend in Belarus -10 during the day & -20 at night time.
    At last Russian can be blamed for something.

I would think that temperature range is not that out of the ordinary for Belarus at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

:cool:
    Calibos wrote: »
    Have to say I'm disappointed.....

.....that I'm able to keep up with the thread now that the ECM 12z is coming out. Wheres the mad deluge of charts and exclamations of disbelief?!?! :D

I think there is a bit of model fatigue! I'm wrecked and the start of the cold is still 96 hours away. There is also that fear that things go pear shaped but that's looking less and less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Calibos wrote: »
    Have to say I'm disappointed.....

.....that I'm able to keep up with the thread now that the ECM 12z is coming out. Wheres the mad deluge of charts and exclamations of disbelief?!?! :D
    I think it's all to much to believe
    I'm having a hard time with it. Still worry that the real good stuff is a week away and we all know the weather gods have it in for us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

:cool:

I think there is a bit of model fatigue! I'm wrecked and the start of the cold is still 96 hours away. There is also that fear that things go pear shaped but that's looking less and less likely.

At this point I would think the cold is pretty much nailed.

Questions now are....

How cold?
    How long?
    Where and when will it snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Seriously cold run yet again, next week will be like deep winter, very low night time minimums would be recorded by the end of the ECM run. Also tonnes of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

I would think that temperature range is not that out of the ordinary for Belarus at this time of year.

Not at all, but has been an extremely mild winter there this year till this week. Any way my point was the front of that is to reach us early next week. I know there schools close once it goes above -30. Also noticed you from cork so won't need to worry about cold weather (joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

If, and i don't think it for a minute, things go pear shaped, we may aswell say weather forecasting doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Putin trolling is quite relentless on the ECM - right up through the following weekend. Lots of snow, exceptionally low temperatures, frost, ice, gales...

ECM1-120.GIF?22-0

ECM1-216.GIF?22-0

Snow showers probably coming on shore from late Monday. The much colder air arriving in the early hours of Monday morning.

In summary, some chaotic weather on the way.

Michelle Dillon, Met Eireann, 'an increasing risk of snow showers from Monday eve'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I think met eireann just jumped aboard the train there
    Choo choo :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Hats off to kermit for predicting this potentially severe event so far out.
    It amazes me the amount of people that won’t be prepared for this just judging by lads at work that think I’m full of it when I tell them about it even a good few farmers!
    I did see on my way home a lot of farmers flat out bringing in trailer loads of silage bales to stock up that obviously have there homework done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Michelle Dillon, Met Eireann, 'an increasing risk of snow showers from Monday eve'.

Also said Temperatures not rising much above freezing on wednesday.

She also said temperatures struggling to get to zero by wenesday

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Yes!! The finally said it. ‘Widespread snowshowers’
    I think met eireann just jumped aboard the train there
    Choo choo :D:D

Of all the brilliant runs this week that ECM is one for the ages. Basically as we're within 96 hours of the real cold and we have cross model agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Long time lurker in the weather forum here. Constantly amazed at the interest, the depth of scientific knowledge, and the historical recall of the regulars here. Was going to post something here on Valentine’s Day along the lines of ‘The weather forum endures more heartbreak than most, but brings joy and insight to many, keep up the good work etc’ but didn’t want to sound patronising. Great to see this event (hopefully) come to pass next week. Forewarned is forewarned and on behalf of all the lurkers many thanks for the heads up on this and the explanations and insights so freely given. Roll on Snowmaggeddon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well since 8am this morning which was actually nice and pleasent there is a definite chill in the air in cork. It's not freezing yet but certainly a change.

I live near Midleton, and noticed the chill in the air also. I suspect it is due to Midleton CBS losing the Harty cup last Sunday though.

Semantics :D
    With -12 to -14 uppers I’d expect temps in the ENE wind to be below zero all day in the heavy snow showers

I suppose if you run out of matches to light the fire you could stick a flag out the window to catch the lightning :p

Also said Temperatures not rising much above freezing on wednesday.

And Thursday's uppers are colder again -12 on the latest ECM! Oh Happy Days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

tempresult_wnv4.gif

tempresult_wdn9.gif

That's an insane run from the 12z!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MissMoc wrote: »
    Yes!! The finally said it. ‘Widespread snowshowers’

They said widespread snow showers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The Putin trolling is quite relentless on the ECM - right up through the following weekend.

Snow showers probably coming on shore from late Monday. The much colder air arriving in the early hours of Monday morning.

How is this likely to affect air travel from Monday to Sunday? I am guessing Dublin airport will really struggle with Cork and Shannon helping out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Finally Met Eireann going into a bit more detail stressing bitterly cold and snow showers from Monday.
    -9 -10 uppers right to the end of the ECM 12z. Amazing run overall.
    In Waterford City we didn't see snow after early December in 2010. Totals wise i'm expecting more snow for us than in 2010.

It's a great feeling to be on the cusp of something really special meteorologically wise for all us weather lovers.

How is this likely to affect air travel from Monday to Sunday? I am guessing Dublin airport will really struggle with Cork and Shannon helping out.

I'd expect Dublin airports new fleet of snow clearing vehicles will be going around the clock at times based on current guidance
    They had trouble with 1cm of snow recently
    I'd expect a lot of delays similar to 2010 up there
    Cork too and to be brutally honest any airport on this island at times not to mention delays because UK airports will be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

The Putin trolling is quite relentless on the ECM - right up through the following weekend.

I’d imagine it’s seriously going to hinder travel from Dublin,I wonder do they have many plane de-icers in Dublin??
    Heavy snow really hinders planes from landing then when they are on the ground they have have to be fully de-iced....I know from experience going to and from Innsbruck and Salzburg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What exactly can we do if the power goes in a GFC house? We're in a new house since the lsat big freeze. Now the insulation etc is waaaaaay superior but it is GFC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd expect Dublin airports new fleet of snow clearing vehicles will be going around the clock at times based on current guidance
    Cork too and to be brutally honest any airport on this island at times not to mention delays because UK airports will be in trouble

In 2010 Shannon coped fine, well....until they ran out of de-icing fluid :)

They said widespread snow showers?
    Becoming more widespread I think but you can check the exact wording at about 10 to 8 on rte one +1 or on the player when that's up later
    Suffice to say I'm increasingly expecting this island,all of it to be experiencing monumental cold and snow in the next week or 10 days and I'm expecting all models to converge more or less on that solution from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It wasn't snow that they were having difficulty with. It was ice as the temperatures were hovering around 0C which is difficult to consistently clear the runway and taxiways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement