Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

After those model runs all i can think of now this evening is to put this on the telly with a tub of Ben and Jerrys! ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In 2010 Shannon coped fine, well....until they ran out of de-icing fluid :)
    Aye but theres a danger I expect this will test them,if you get a system in this cold running in there,it will also have delays from other European airports,so not a nice time to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

I'd expect Dublin airports new fleet of snow clearing vehicles will be going around the clock at times based on current guidance
    They had trouble with 1cm of snow recently
    I'd expect a lot of delays similar to 2010 up there
    Cork too and to be brutally honest any airport on this island at times not to mention delays because UK airports will be in trouble

I took off in effectively a blizzard in Krakow only to be diverted to Liverpool instead of Dublin for that snow mid January... This country just can't deal with snow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tempresult_azd9.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

This is looking like a spell to remember, streamers popping up all over the place into the east and feeling absolutely freezing in that windchill. Agree with @george sunsnow, this is the real deal- Best chance of heavy snow and severe cold since 2010.

Dublin to come to a standstill at times this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I hope it does not get too cold for snow! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

m17 wrote: »
    I'm stocking up for next week just in case it gets bad
    IMAG7001_zpsvwgtx4ja.jpg

Hopefully they won't get stuck and abandoned on the Naas Road ...cough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

DOCARCH wrote: »

Was told that in work today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

What does 'uppers' and 'streamers' mean? We're trying to find out but can't seem to find anything. Sorry for novice post but have learnt so much on this site so far!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I dropped into my mother to check she was alright for fuel and freezer fills and she said exactly that!! Id a good mind to take all the stuff back!! ;)

• Advertisement

Always love watching these threads, at the risk of being eaten... does that earlier chart rule out snow for Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

How will Midlands fair out regarding snow or will we just see frosty days and nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Think I’m in love ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

pad199207 wrote: »
    After those model runs all i can think of now this evening is to put this on the telly with a tub of Ben and Jerrys! ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Pad, i'll send you a drop of what i was drinking Monday eve when you were wondering what i was on :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    This is looking like a spell to remember, streamers popping up all over the place into the east and feeling absolutely freezing in that windchill. Agree with @george sunsnow, this is the real deal- Best chance of heavy snow and severe cold since 2010.

Dublin to come to a standstill at times this week.

I bought a set of snow cleats during the severe weather in Nov/Dec 2010. Never had any use since. Time to dig them out of the wardrobe I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

tempresult_azd9.gif

giphy.gif

Good lord !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Burts Bee wrote: »
    What does 'uppers' and 'streamers' mean? We're trying to find out but can't seem to find anything. Sorry for novice post but have learnt so much on this site so far!:confused:

By uppers we generally mean 850 hpa temperature i.e the temperature 1500 metres up. surface temperature day time maxes are usually 10-11 degrees above these. Streamers are lake effect lines of snow showers coming off the Irish sea that can lead to heavy accumulations locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Hopefully they won't get stuck and abandoned on the Naas Road ...cough

In the 1982 snow I was only a baby but my mother told me about how the bread van got stuck in the snow drifts and the driver let the house know so everyone went out and raided it. She lived off cream donuts for days ðŸ©

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Burts Bee wrote: »

Uppers are temperatures high above the ground, we are usually taking about 850hpa (approx 1.5 km high).

Streamers are chains of snow showers that form over the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

• Advertisement

I wonder if well break the weather forums record for active users some time in the next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Comparison between UKMO 12z +144 and the chart for January 12 1963.

nNbdq7e.gif

pmIMAfM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Doesn't seem to be actually making it west? Not as bad as Dublin at least or is that big deep purple patch gunna get over the whole country? Going by Kermits gif it seems to spin downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I get the distinct impression that the general population haven’t a clue about what’s going to hit in 3-4 days time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

adam240610 wrote: »
    I wonder if well break the weather forums record for active users some time in the next week?

During Ophelia there were over 5000 users on the forum at many times during the day....that's when the forum broke! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

So I guess some of the following problems are going to occur next week.

Rail journeys disrupted
    Airport flight delays/cancellations to UK.
    National/Dublin Bus network disrupted
    Luas service curtailed.
    Possible power outrages due to build up of ice.
    Water services affected by Frozen water pipes.
    Panic buying at supermarkets etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

If these charts come to pass the air passing over us will basically be of Siberian extraction, differently to the 2010 Arctic outbreak (even though there was a continental element to that spell with winds blowing off Scandinavia at times). This airmass is the creme de la creme of all the possible types of cold in this part of the world (polar maritime, arctic, arctic continental etc...) as it brings the lowest dew points.

During Ophelia there were over 5000 users on the forum at many times during the day....that's when the forum broke! :o

Guess we'll find out soon enough hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Another factor about an easterly like this is the ground will be well dried out from the days prior to snowfall when the easterly sets in.

If we remember, the snowfall of 10th December fell on wet ground, started as rain, so you're losing cms to firm up the ground from the start.

This scenario from the east is the business in that regard..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

I've refrained from clogging up this thread as I wanted to leave space for you all with an insane knowledge of charts and weather here, for which I'm hugely grateful. I'm following this thread for years. But, I've always wondered what Kermit looked like, now I've learnt even more , looking good Kermit !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement