Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Becoming more widespread I think but you can check the exact wording at about 10 to 8 on rte one +1 or on the player when that's up later
    Suffice to say I'm increasingly expecting this island,all of it to be experiencing monumental cold and snow in the next week or 10 days and I'm expecting all models to converge more or less on that solution from now on

She said wide spread across England on Monday, then will spread widely into Ireland by Monday evening, then on Tuesday becoming more wide spread across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I get the distinct impression that the general population haven’t a clue about what’s going to hit in 3-4 days time

Been no talk about it in my work at all, except for me casually dropping in an old “I believe it’s to be cold next week” into a couple of conversations. Meanwhile I’m making preparations to be “working from home”! Now that Met Eireann are starting to mention the possibility it might get more attention.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve2 wrote: »
    If these charts come to pass the air passing over us will basically be of Siberian extraction, differently to the 2010 Arctic outbreak (even though there was a continental element to that spell with winds blowing off Scandinavia at times). This airmass is the creme de la creme of all the possible types of cold in this part of the world (polar maritime, arctic, arctic continental etc...) as it brings the lowest dew points.

Agreed, best type of cold you can get...but...the only problem is that it can also be a drier cold.

A couple of pages back I said I hope it's not too cold for snow....that's pretty much where that colloquialism comes from (when you get very cold but dry Siberian air).

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Perfect timing to practice the winter sports we are seeing at the olympics too 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Netweather's server has crashed......too many snow bunnies losing their sh*t at that amazing ECM run :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

If this weather does hit which I hope it does ,will the schools close sorry if asking silly question , I can't remember if they did in 2010, I'm so excited, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

noble00 wrote: »
    If this weather does hit which I hope it does ,will the schools close sorry if asking silly question , I can't remember if they did in 2010, I'm so excited, thanks

I’d imagine so if that last run came if we would need a shovel to get out the front door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Midnight Sky

I'm no meteorologis but there is a huge ring around the moon tonight. I haven't noticed one in a long time and it's as big as I have ever seen.

I was always of the impression that this was a ominous fore warning of bad weather moving our way.

Thanks for the scientific analysis lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It will be completely localised whether schools will close or not depending on where it snows and how much. If there is a countrywide heavy snowfall forecast then they may order all schools to close. It's simply too far out to tell.

In 2010 they closed the schools countrywide once based on a heavy snow forecast which turned out to be mostly rain and sleet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I was only in for 3 days of school for the whole of December 2010 (would have been 5 if I were not sick). I was off for another week of "Christmas holidays" in January 2010 making my holidays 3 weeks long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My Google weather app isn't forecasting as much cold and snow as these models are suggesting. Is it because of my location, or does it take time for the models to be taken into account?

Screenshot_20180222-193445.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I was only in for 3 days of school for the whole of December 2010 (would have been 5 if I were not sick). I was off for another week of "Christmas holidays" in January 2010 making my holidays 3 weeks long.

We'll provide you with a sick note for next week if needed

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    My Google weather app isn't forecasting as much cold and snow as these models are suggesting. Is it because of my location, or does it take time for the models to be taken into account?

It's because you shouldn't bother with weather apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Comparison between UKMO 12z +144 and the chart for January 12 1963.

nNbdq7e.gif

pmIMAfM.png

I recall that time as a schoolboy, the real blizzard didn`t come until the early part of February though, I remember the sky getting a heavy and leaden look, the ground was dry and hard and the wind came in from the south-east, 5 - 6ft drifts on our country roads, nothing moved for over a week.
    I`ve posted this earlier, maybe of interest to some of our newcomers now but it`s the only video of that time I can find of conditions at that time - Castlewellan, Co. Down, beside Newcastle on the coast https://digitalfilmarchive.net/media/super-8-stories-extra-footage-the-676

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'm no meteorologis but there is a huge ring around the moon tonight. I haven't noticed one in a long time and it's as big as I have ever seen.

I was always of the impression that this was a ominous fore warning of bad weather moving our way.

Possibly due to particles in air coming from the continent (beast from the east)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Possibly due to particles in air coming from the continent (beast from the east)

It's the beast's breath in the air as it's roaring

RAAAAAWRRRR !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Pentecost wrote: »
    Been no talk about it in my work at all, except for me casually dropping in an old “I believe it’s to be cold next week” into a couple of conversations. Meanwhile I’m making preparations to be “working from home”! Now that Met Eireann are starting to mention the possibility it might get more attention.

They're all more interested in Jen and whoever splitting up ..same in my place , goldfishes abound .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

It may have been outlined already in the thread but does anyone have to hand what the preceding charts where like before the epic 1982 event ..ie did it come in like a beast from the east ?

As I am old enough to have vivid memories of 1982's Epic Snow event in Dublin, living in Blanch and tracking with a home made sledge to get bags of coal and supplies with large snow drifts covering unusable parked cars.

I would love it that younger boards.ie folk will now get to experience those

**But yes the country will grind to to halt in a Hoth like grip.
    442532.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Captured one last month, indeed when it was sub zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Jeez there was a fierce bite in the air out doing the herding this evening lads!

Wasn't expecting it to feel so nippy already, it wouldn't surprise me to see this continental air (and snow) hit 12 or 24 hours sooner than forecast :D

• Advertisement

DominoDub wrote: »
    It may have been outlined already in the thread but does anyone have to hand what the preceding charts where like before the epic 1982 event ..ie did it come in like a beast from the east ?

As I am old enough to have vivid memories of 1982's Epic Snow event in Dublin, living in Blanch and tracking with a home made sledge to get bags of coal and supplies with large snow drifts covering unusable parked cars.

I would love it that younger boards.ie folk will now get to experience those

**But yes the country will grind to to halt in a Hoth like grip.

archives-1982-1-2-0-0.png

archives-1982-1-4-12-0.png

archives-1982-1-6-0-0.png

The event day itself, 8th January 1982.

archives-1982-1-8-0-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

People don’t realise what’s coming down the tracks in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Jeez there was a fierce bite in the air out doing the herding this evening lads!

Wasn't expecting it to feel so nippy already, it wouldn't surprise me to see this continental air (and snow) hit 12 or 24 hours sooner than forecast :D

My max today near Arklow was just 6c
    That’s 5c colder than yesterday with a bite in the breeze
    Advection is starting
    Even south and southeast is continental sourced today

Think my last post got lost in the excitement... is it all over for Cork snow wise from that earlier chart with the straight line? please be gentle I am hopeless with reading the charts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Cheer for those charts @sryanbruen

So looks like we may need some moist air from the south to come and hit the now in play stronger cold east forces to get SNOW.

Or maybe the warmer Irish Sea will produce STREAMERS ..but poor north Dublin could once again be covered by the "Isle of Man Shadow"

Wait what? There seems to be signs of the zonal winds going back down after a recovery close to average zonal wind speeds, through the middle of March. I'm surprised at this, this adds even more significance to the stratospheric events that have occurred, absolutely incredible! With this in mind, I see no let up from colder than average weather.

OSJygLU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Michelle Dillon, Met Eireann, 'an increasing risk of snow showers from Monday eve'.

Is Monday eve Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Think my last post got lost in the excitement... is it all over for Cork snow wise from that earlier chart with the straight line? please be gentle I am hopeless with reading the charts!

For people looking for snow fall predictions, it's a good idea to read MT Cranium's posts. Recently he mentioned how snow falls during this cold spell will be largely of the 'now cast' variety, which means watching the weather radars hours or minutes before potential snowfall. Days before, nobody can really be in any way confident about areas that might or might not receive snow. For example, as has been mentioned before, models are generally not good at all at predicting lake-effect snow, which is where we might actually see the majority of the snow coming from in this type of cold spell.

So, even if you see a chart that leaves Cork snow-free, there's SNOW reason (HAAAAAAAA....I'll show myself out) to believe you'll get no snow at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

How well does the ECM handle streamer activity?

The reason I ask, just for comparison (first image is an upgrade, ECM 0Z vs 12Z at +132/+144 or 6am Tuesday, and the second is a massive downgrade at +228/240hrs or 6am Sunday 4th)

6378f039d9dbe77618e9bb9fc726520f.png

d1bb2343205c6d389bf3586470d1dd1c.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

DominoDub wrote: »
    Cheer for those charts @sryanbruen

So looks like we may need some moist air from the south to come and hit the now in play stronger cold east forces to get SNOW.

Or maybe the warmer Irish Sea will produce STREAMERS ..but poor north Dublin could once again be covered by the "Isle of Man Shadow"

Ah please no... Surely not again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement