Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pangea wrote: »
    Some people I spoke to were quite dismissive about it, said that the snow is only for the East and South, won't affect us in Donegal...

The fools....the fools!

Never turn your back on snow!!!

At this point I would say anywhere in the country is at risk of snow but it can't be forecast this far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DominoDub wrote: »
    I see Met.ie are starting to show the cold in their 5 day Forecast.

With the Irish Sea warmer than the land @6:00 Tuesday Morning

web_irl_temp_2018022706.gif?h=1519329600000

Be interested to know the sea temps as well air temp. But as per usual most of our bouys are inoperable.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Gerry's finally switched from schleeeet! winter is coming... :D

442545.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anywhere could be effected by snowfall at this stage.

It won't be just eastern parts.

One particular front moving down from the northeast on Monday night in to Tuesday could bring longer period of moderate snowfall to the northern half of the country.

That's the way it will be throughout the week. Mainly snow showers but interspersed with longer and more widespread periods of snow at times in different locations. The latter more likely in the second half of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Though I’m not hopeful of snow here in west sligo I’m certainly prepared. Got in plenty of fuel yesterday and did a big shop today. Dug out my clothing last used when I visited Siberia in February 2006 ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is this not correct?
    Maybe :(
    but going by the Met offices uk latest forecast a potential low could come in from the west next week, and give snow anywhere. Like Docarch said with this Cold setting in who knows what will happen. One thing for sure is that snow won't be the only hazard, there will be severe frost with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

as dairy farmers in north kerry, my husband is concerned about this weather update, back in 09 and 10, every pipe froze that he needed to milk cows and it took hours to thaw as well as drawing 100's of litres of water by hand for cows. could any of you guys give a prediction as to the lowest temperatures expected in this area next week. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 46 feckwunker

Verrryyyyy longtime lurker, first time poster here.

I'm hoping what is being predicted here actually materialises - I've made some serious claims to friends over the last two days!

Henwin wrote: »
    as dairy farmers in north kerry, my husband is concerned about this weather update, back in 09 and 10, every pipe froze that he needed to milk cows and it took hours to thaw as well as drawing 100's of litres of water by hand for cows. could any of you guys give a prediction as to the lowest temperatures expected in this area next week. cheers

The way things are going, the extreme low will probably be -8c or less. Impossible to say, but if pipes froze in 2010 they will probably freeze again this time.

Take preventitive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Snow angel wrote: »
    Teachers will be hoping schools don’t close. After 2010 the dept of education said it was up to schools individually to make the call and any missed days had to be made up by coming in over the mid term or easter holidays. As a teacher who has a holiday booked during Easter I don’t want to be called in then. But I’m in Sligo so I think we are unlikely to see much from this event except extreme cold, dry frosty days.
    I’m a teacher and I’m certainly hoping we get a snow day!!

The rules on making up days are actually pretty flexible, even since they were updated post 2010. Schools have the option to make up tuition time by prioritising academics over things like school tours and sports days or other activities that impact on the curriculum. The individual schools Board of Managements decide how the time is to be made up. There is an option of opening for the first 3 days of the Easter holidays if needed but I would imagine most schools will try to avoid that.

Most of my students don’t remember ever seeing more than a light dusting of snow so hopefully they finally get to build snowmen and throw snowballs next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Any snow you get you're likely to keep for a few days at least too.
    And then you'll have your frozen canals, ponds and pipes.

I can't bloody wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

feckwunker wrote: »
    I'm hoping what is being predicted here actually materialises - I've made some serious claims to friends over the last two days!

:pac::pac:
    I've been told I'll be "roasted forever, or be King". The stakes are high alright :cool:

Take your seat:

hulk%20coaster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

sdanseo wrote: »
    Be interested to know the sea temps as well air temp. But as per usual most of our bouys are inoperable.

Here's a SST analysis chart, surface temp is measured by satellites. It updates every day.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?MODELL=sst&MODELLTYP=3&VAR=0&INFO=1

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Oiltank refilled to max capacity ...... .... .....................Check
    Coalbunker bulging to capacity .................................Check
    Freezer stocked with essentials .................................Check
    Wine rack at full strength .........................................Check
    Thermal clothing washed, fragrant & ready for wear ... Check
    I think I'm ready!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boardsies if it doesn't work out?

latest?cb=20110105212245

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Whilst the northern and southern parts of the North Atlantic seem to be getting colder in terms of sea surface temperatures, I'd like to note negative temperature anomalies over towards eastern USA and Newfoundland. This maybe a precursor down the line of what's to come this year or in the next few years. What I mean by this is achieving a tri-pole which is bands of warm-cold-warm in the North Atlantic from north to south (Greenland to tropics). A tri-pole in May is used as a tool to note that negative NAO is a highly likely occurrence for the Winter following but it does not guarantee so nor does it mean you can't get a cold Winter or a Winter with negative NAO without a tri-pole in the preceding May. May 2009 being your best example with absolutely no tri-pole in the Atlantic but then Winter 2009-10 broke records for negative NAO.

What we want to be seeing in the Atlantic SST wise is a tri-pole by May and getting those SSTs towards Newfoundland and the eastern US is a start but we've a bit to go due to the cold north and south parts.

I know, I'm already talking about next Winter lol.

HZWqbex.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Henwin wrote: »

Looking through the ECM for N Kerry it is currently predicting lows of between -2 and -5C at night for most of next week. It is showing lows down to -7 C towards next week end but that is a long way off to be anyway accurate. Temperatures struggling to get up over 4-6C most days and this might be colder depending if there is snow coverage.

Just a guide at this stage, will need to monitor going into next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No. Just delays, if it snows.

My OH will be getting in to DUB Wednesday AM from Addis Ababa on the flight that goes on to Lax. Hopefully it doesn't end up in SNN:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

MzfZORiDRoCx9OENom6h_dad%20snowball.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Some of you are saying you’ve never seen anything like these images before but then others are saying it may not break records or be like for example 2010?

Any clarity there? Thanks ;)

It will be exceptional for the time of year. I hope i'm not jinxing it but temperature record for this time of year could be broken. Forget about the strength of the sun talk please. In this set up there will be sod all melting of snow as the temp will struggle to get above freezing by day, and you will not see the sun much next week if you live in the east. Finally I hope those of you who turned your back on snow have learnt your lesson:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms between model runs.

Somebody, please give me some weather to look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Oiltank refilled to max capacity ...... .... .....................Check
    Coalbunker bulging to capacity .................................Check
    Freezer stocked with essentials .................................Check
    Wine rack at full strength .........................................Check
    Thermal clothing washed, fragrant & ready for wear ... Check
    I think I'm ready!

What's your address there chief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm getting withdrawal symptoms between model runs.

Somebody, please give me some weather to look at

Reminds me of an Apres Match clip about Johnny Giles having such symptoms when he had no football clips to analyse at the end of a World Cup:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The arctic high I have been tracking is now 1048 mbs over Franz Josef Land and the latest analysis shows that "dead low" moving ahead of it over northern Finland at a nearly extinct 1026 mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Can I get a clarification please from someone in the know. Are the -8 to -12 type numbers the actual projected temperature, Or -8 to -12 below the average for this time of year? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The arctic high I have been tracking is now 1048 mbs over Franz Josef Land and the latest analysis shows that "dead low" moving ahead of it over northern Finland at a nearly extinct 1026 mbs.

Translation please for the great unwashed, thanks! Oh and what does that mean for us also. I know, you are very patient and kind. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Don't know what it means bit it sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

It will be exceptional for the time of year. I hope i'm not jinxing it but temperature record for this time of year could be broken. Forget about the strength of the sun talk please. In this set up there will be sod all melting of snow as the temp will struggle to get above freezing by day, and you will not see the sun much next week if you live in the east. Finally I hope those of you who turned your back on snow have learnt your lesson:pac:

If I’m right Nacho libre you’re a fellow Donegalian? Or fairly close 🀔 thanks for the reply, let’s hope this beast shows up in the northwest too 😬😬😬

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement