Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm getting withdrawal symptoms between model runs.

Somebody, please give me some weather to look at

Ice bubbles are always fun to look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do3h79BIkSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTtlrdCHQI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The arctic high I have been tracking is now 1048 mbs over Franz Josef Land and the latest analysis shows that "dead low" moving ahead of it over northern Finland at a nearly extinct 1026 mbs.

What is the upshot of this MT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Can I get a clarification please from someone in the know. Are the -8 to -12 type numbers the actual projected temperature, Or -8 to -12 below the average for this time of year? TIA

They're temperatures in the upper atmosphere. Often refered to as uppers.

For ground temps the general rule of thumb is that you add 10 or 11 degrees. So we'd be looking at day time temps of below zero under -12 uppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Can I get a clarification please from someone in the know. Are the -8 to -12 type numbers the actual projected temperature, Or -8 to -12 below the average for this time of year? TIA

They're the temperatures at 1.5 km up, add on about 8 - 10 for sea level temperatures.

Edit: Oops, beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Right I'm looking for advice as to what to say about the weather going forward. I've said to my grandmother and parents that it's "going to get very cold next week" I felt safe to say that as everything seemed to be pointing that way. Do I go full snow madness yet or do I stall the digger until closer.

I ask the breatheren of the weather forum.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Right I'm looking for advice as to what to say about the weather going forward. I've said to my grandmother and parents that it's "going to get very cold next week" I felt safe to say that as everything seemed to be pointing that way. Do I go full snow madness yet or do I stall the digger until closer.

I've gone all in talking to my parents about it being snowmageddon :pac:

Daniel2590 wrote: »

I wasn't as brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just keep saying to my mum and dad “snow” and they’re like “nah, it’ll be cold alright but no snow”....ok then....don’t say I didn’t warn you :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms between model runs.

Somebody, please give me some weather to look at

I know the feeling : meteociel will collapse from my usage alone!

Rodar08 wrote: »
    If I’m right Nacho libre you’re a fellow Donegalian? Or fairly close �� thanks for the reply, let’s hope this beast shows up in the northwest too ������

Yeah not that far away. In God's own county(Mayo) The longer the cold hangs around the greater the chance you will get in on the action- especially if the high moves to Greenland, or we get a front from the atlantic that tries to get in, but stall over the country before retreating back from where it came.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Stalling the digger is a good idea you will using it alot next week.

Otherwise go for it you might never again get a chance like this.

Actually just say you have a digger for hire next week instead and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

leahyl wrote: »
    I just keep saying to my mum and dad “snow” and they’re like “nah, it’ll be cold alright but no snow”....ok then....don’t say I didn’t warn you :-P

You know our location, right? Hehe

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

leahyl wrote: »
    I just keep saying to my mum and dad “snow” and they’re like “nah....

I have the same problem with my kids! :p

They just say how many times have you told us that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

The arctic high I have been tracking is now 1048 mbs over Franz Josef Land and the latest analysis shows that "dead low" moving ahead of it over northern Finland at a nearly extinct 1026 mbs.
    I keep reading that as Josef Fritzel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

They're temperatures in the upper atmosphere. Often refered to as uppers.

For ground temps the general rule of thumb is that you add 10 or 11 degrees. So we'd be looking at day time temps of below zero under -12 uppers.

Are the uppers always maxima temps then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Daniel2590 wrote: »

I went all in with the work colllegues they laughed and said not a hope it will happen so I won’t mention it again now :(

sjb25 wrote: »
    I went all in with the work colllegues they laughed and said not a hope it will happen so I won’t mention it again now :(

Well in that case you'll have the last laugh when if it does snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gerrybhoy wrote: »

He was one cold BStard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Ha ha I did too. I’m not sure what that says about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

sjb25 wrote: »

If you're right they'll pretend they all predicted it.

If you're wrong they'll never let you forget it.

Irish people are fecking weird when it comes to weather..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Akrasia wrote: »

He was one cold BStard
    Yep a beast...lets get back to the 2018 beast though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yep a beast...lets get back to the 2018 beast though!

Beastard?

You know our location, right? Hehe

Yeah what is the outlook for the Venice of the south ?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I have the same problem with my kids! :p

They just say how many times have you told us that one!

Yeah see the boy/girl that cried wolf. It's a fine balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

Went to shops on day off......feck sake lads, what have ye done.....between the "boil water" notice here in S Sligo & the promise of a few flakes of snow there's nothin left in Schligo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Hoping its a repeat of the snowfall we had in Cavan on March 31 i think in 2011? Anyone remember that? nearly a foot of the white stuff. Madness for that time of the year

https://www.facebook.com/metoffice/videos/10155601473059209/

Superb forecast. Unusually cold even for the winter and that's something we don't often say at the met office..."

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

littlema wrote: »
    Went to shops on day off......feck sake lads, what have ye done.....between the "boil water" notice here in S Sligo & the promise of a few flakes of snow there's nothin left in Schligo :(
    Bit o Red gettin beat by Limerick to boot its all gone tits up in sligs land:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice RTE forecast, snow showers practically guaranteed from Monday night onwards by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Hoping its a repeat of the snowfall we had in Cavan on March 31 i think in 2011? Anyone remember that? nearly a foot of the white stuff. Madness for that time of the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement