Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The bbc news 24 forecast just now
    Jesus Mary and Joseph :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Apart from all the fun, I have to say at the fore in my mind are the homeless and those in fuel poverty and indeed farmers in lambing, I really hope the message is going around among the support services and NGO's that there is lethal weather coming and everyone should be watching out for those at risk.

Without being pious about it, I'll be asking the Vincent de Paul whether its cash or donations of peat briquettes that they will find more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kingrosie

Time to get the boots out

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

vizualpics wrote: »
    We got great snow in Mayo Jan 2010 I think from a streamer running from donegal bay to killala bay so could be interesting in West aswell.

Oh I hope so ❄️ ❄️❄️ I’ll be on Enniscrone beach praying to the snow/ streamer Gods all week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BBC have snow showers for Dublin all the way from next Wednesday to the following Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm just looking at my iweather now and it's saying highs of 2-4 degrees in Dublin and lows of -2 from Monday to Friday , but if it does snow surely these temps are too high for any lying snow to build up in Dublin during this cold spell ? Or am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

This seems to be a Go now at this stage. I reckon it's time to split this thread to a dedicated technical thread and a Chat thread. Mods?

Whatever about that, it’s time I bought the kids new Wellies and a new tin of Dubbin for my boots !!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

This seems to be a Go now at this stage. I reckon it's time to split this thread to a dedicated technical thread and a Chat thread. Mods?

Just the icing on the cake to have Su on board. Always the voice of reason when we get carried away sometimes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

wakka12 wrote: »
    I'm just looking at my iweather now and it's saying highs of 2-4 degrees in Dublin and lows of -2 from Monday to Friday , but if it does snow surely these temps are too high for any lying snow to build up in Dublin during this cold spell ? Or am I missing something ?

Yeah, you're not paying attention to the folk around here.

Weather apps generally span from almost useless to useless to the point of actually being harmful

Gonzo wrote: »
    BBC have snow showers for Dublin all the way from next Wednesday to the following Monday.

Indeed on news 24 they dealt with the possible low too
    Plastering the east and south
    The snow showers covered the entire east prior to that
    Quite something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Just the icing on the cake to have Su on board. Always the voice of reason when we get carried away sometimes. :)

There's been some winters where he was so negative he actually scared the snow away

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wasn't as brave.

I had to as I need to fill their freezer , get fuel, medication and other things they need as their homecare might not be able to get to them and me also sadly! But sure it will all be used anyway so harm done if it turns out not so harsh ! I just need to be prepared for them . Torches tomorrow which they should have anyway in case power goes out at anytime not just this event .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

GFS continues to be a thing of beauty. By middle of next week low is spinning up south of us churning all of that siberian goodness right at the east coast:

96-7UK.GIF?22-18
    162-7UK.GIF?22-12

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So,

Will ten litres of water,
    A slab of beer,
    6 bottles of wine, three red, three white,
    A bottle of Jemmie,
    Few tins of beans/spaghetti hoops,
    Cheese, Bread, butter and masses of Tayto crisps see us through all this?

Anything you can add that doesn't require cooking in the event the power goes?

You can see where my priorities lie though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

Is there a way to watch this bbc forecast everyone is currently/recently talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

So,

A slab of beer,
    A bottle of Jemmie,

Can't go wrong with a few more beers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

MJohnston wrote: »
    Oh no, the fake photos have started!

As long as the charts aren't fake :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

adam240610 wrote: »
    Is there a way to watch this bbc forecast everyone is currently/recently talking about?

here is a screenshot from it
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106228704&postcount=1371

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rougies wrote: »
    Here ya go.

That one doesn't show the early March epic blizzard :D.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/43164159

• Registered Users Posts: 46 feckwunker

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with a few more beers

You can never, ever go wrong with a few emergency beers. I mean, how many beers will be left after you drink the first slab, nevermind the second slab? Best to buy about 8 slabs.

• Advertisement

adam240610 wrote: »

Yes
    BBC iPlayer
    Just go to watch bbc one live and you’ll have a 10 minute intermission countdown after the news followed by the weather
    It will be on at 1040 ish

You may need a smart dns proxy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So,

A slab of beer,
    A bottle of Jemmie,

I would turn the water into wine if that was my list

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

I'm struggling emotionally here folks :confused: - flying out to US for work on Monday & due back Thurs. I feel like the lad who's booked he's holidays for Sept then realises his county's going to get to their first All Ireland in 50 years - still want it to happen for everyone but would be gutted to miss a big snow event. Hopefully flights get back in on Thurs and this rolls into next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I would turn the water into wine if that was my list

Water is in case the pipes freeze that's all. Suffered in 2010 so I know the drill now.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

So,

A slab of beer,
    A bottle of Jemmie,

Cheese and crackers and you'll be laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

95% I will take those odds ....but the wind chill :eek:

442556.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Toilet paper! Never underestimate the chaos caused by lack of toilet paper.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Oiltank refilled to max capacity ...... .... .....................Check
    Coalbunker bulging to capacity .................................Check
    Freezer stocked with essentials .................................Check
    Wine rack at full strength .........................................Check
    Thermal clothing washed, fragrant & ready for wear ... Check
    I think I'm ready!

i feel like im spoiled. in 2010 things like shops went on normally(well most shops where open normal hours) here in north dublin. even with the foot of snow around the place(i also went christmas shopping in the pavillons). a good bit slower getting around.

the booze, central heating(open fire, supersar or blankets would do) and probably one of the family members had running water, so it wasnt to inconvenient . it was nice and relaxing.

now if i lived in the hills it would be a totally difffernet story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Steopo wrote: »
    I'm struggling emotionally here folks :confused: - flying out to US for work on Monday & due back Thurs. I feel like the lad who's booked he's holidays for Sept then realises his county's going to get to their first All Ireland in 50 years - still want it to happen for everyone but would be gutted to miss a big snow event. Hopefully flights get back in on Thurs and this rolls into next weekend

We'll stick some in the freezer for you when you're back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

:eek::eek::eek:

gfs-2-162.png?18

gfs-2-168.png?18

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement