Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

snowbabe wrote: »
    Cheese and crackers and you'll be laughing

I'm laughing already because I think I will be so organised, but I am sure I have forgotten something obvious!

Anyway just posting a bit of light relief in between the chart run updates.

I think the thread will be split into the professionals and the chatters by the weekend. That might not be a bad idea either. We can watch both but understand only one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm not saying this is going to be record breaking for snow in the east/south-east, but the year that the snowfall record does get broken - well you'd expect the models to look quite a lot like they look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm laughing already because I think I will be so organised, but I am sure I have forgotten something obvious!

Anyway just posting a bit of light relief in between the chart run updates.

I think the thread will be split into the professionals and the chatters by the weekend. That might not be a bad idea either. We can watch both but understand only one of them!

Get a spare bottle opener.

Get two or three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

There’s a pocket of -15 850 air approaching Wicklow on Thursday on this 18z

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

gfs-0-162.png?18

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    Get a spare bottle opener.

Get two or three.

Good thinking there. It's on the list now.

The gathering is at mine if you can crawl through the snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

wakka12 wrote: »
    I'm just looking at my iweather now and it's saying highs of 2-4 degrees in Dublin and lows of -2 from Monday to Friday , but if it does snow surely these temps are too high for any lying snow to build up in Dublin during this cold spell ? Or am I missing something ?

I'm half a mile inland in Balbriggan. None of the easterlies of the last 25 years managed to give me sub zero temps while the wind is blowing straight off the sea.
    2C max by day and a fraction above zero at night, is what ive got from similar setups to Monday and Tuesday.

It can go a little colder during showers, and its alway much colder once you're further from the sea or any extra height.
    The second half of the week is new territory. It could break all sorta of records. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

The east coast would get a plastering if the charts from about +156h to +186h happened!

This is beautiful

gfs-0-192.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

gfs-2-192.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm getting really worried about this now. I'm due to start lambing tomorrow in the Wicklow hills. I don't have enough room in the shed for all the ewes plus their lambs, normally they go out a couple of days after birth. Also, my shed doesn't have a great roof and I'm worried about that too. Also, I have another flock out in the fields not due to lamb for another month. Not sure what to do with them.

• Advertisement

I wish I had the bottle to log off until Sunday night.

But I can't.

Now forgive me, but if these predictions do not work out, I am never logging on to the Weather Board again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm not saying this is going to be record breaking for snow in the east/south-east, but the year that the snowfall record does get broken - well you'd expect the models to look quite a lot like they look now.

Depends on the record I guess, if it keeps up certainly the March records will go, harder to say about most snowfall in 24hrs or the lying snow at the Dublin stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

tempresult_cdx7.gif

tempresult_tgn7.gif

Very nice for the east from around Wednesday-Friday (well into FI though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Holy mother of god the 18z GFS is snow perfection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gfs-2-192.png?18

Scenes like those from Northern Ireland during March 2013 would not be out of the question if all this actually happens the way the charts are looking tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

arctictree wrote: »
    I'm getting really worried about this now. I'm due to start lambing tomorrow in the Wicklow hills. I don't have enough room in the shed for all the ewes plus their lambs, normally they go out a couple of days after birth. Also, my shed doesn't have a great roof and I'm worried about that too. Also, I have another flock out in the fields not due to lamb for another month. Not sure what to do with them.

Clear out the kitchen and hope there potty trained.

On a serious note best of luck with it. All us snow fanatics sometimes forget it can be extremely tough for those in the Agricultural business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

okay this GFS run produces constant heavy snow over the east of the country from Thursday, what its modelling would rival and probably beat the big snowstorm of 1947. This isn't the first time this has shown up either. Am I dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

How long is this cold spell to last for?

Are you on a Facebook group with other sheep farmers in the same situation? I am sure you are not alone in that worry, but hopefully others in your area might be able to give some assistance/support.

I'm sure you know that there is a Farming board here too. Maybe stick up a post there, I am sure they will be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Kinks in the isobars all over. Anywhere could get a plastering. Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Mesmerized by the GFS 18z! Never seen anything like it. Would be a snow bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

I remember in 2010 Lough Ramor froze solid Christmas Day. I always remembered the aul fella going on about big Snow events in the 60's where the lake froze over.

Christmas day they had to break the Ice for the swim with a digger and what happened after the swim will never leave me, half the town out walking on the lake. Aul ones of 80 hand in hand with there husbands. Was also my Dads last Christmas.

A few days later there was an alert. A fella went walking on the Ice and had being missing for a few hours. Turns out he walked clean across the lake and was sat in a pub the other side of it. Some criac all together

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It seems to be all the east we’re hearing about now :-( I suppose it’s just gonna be dry for Cork! Typical! *throws toys out of pram:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    okay this GFS run produces constant heavy snow over the east of the country from Thursday, what its modelling would rival and probably beat the big snowstorm of 1947. This isn't the first time this has shown up either. Am I dreaming?

If that stalled low showed up on charts during mild weather we'd probably be looking at significant flooding in the east. For it all to be snow would actually be scary.

piplip87 wrote: »
    I remember in 2010 Lough Ramor froze solid Christmas Day. I always remembered the aul fella going on about big Snow events in the 60's where the lake froze over.

Christmas day they had to break the Ice for the swim with a digger and what happened after the swim will never leave me, half the town out walking on the lake. Aul ones of 80 hand in hand with there husbands. Was also my Dads last Christmas.

A few days later there was an alert. A fella went walking on the Ice and had being missing for a few hours. Turns out he walked clean across the lake and was sat in a pub the other side of it. Some criac all together

Great story. That's in Virginia isn't it.

Sorry about your Dad, I know what that is like.

You may talk to one of your neighbors and ask for to use a bigger shed if they have it
    The snow in the east and southeast on this 18z in shower and blizzard form from Dublin to Waterford is bone chillingly relentless for 4 or 5 days on the trot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Very nice for the east from around Wednesday-Friday (well into FI though!)

Not well into FI, just into FI!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even though theres definitely going to be snow next week I think the Atlantic will make a quick fightback from the South and the longest I can see this lasting is until the weekend.

If it is to last for weeks I think temps will rise a tad to 4 to 7c

Id say Wednesday to Friday heavy snow in Leinster and showers everywhere

Then Saturday with amazing speed slightly milder from the South with sleet and wet snow and then thats it.

The whole frosty outcome doesnt look on now.

More a -4c night and 2c day and then higher days and nights by weekend

Just an opinion. What do others think? We have until Monday to start of this and Wednesday until it really plasters us.

We have to do something. And....if this doesnt come to pass I will still watch boards as forecasts here are FAR more accurate than Met Eireann generally

leahyl wrote: »
    It seems to be all the east we’re hearing about now :-( I suppose it’s just gonna be dry for Cork! Typical! *throws toys out of pram:-P

Unlikely that you will stay dry
    You will just be slightly less sick of snow than the rest of us but you will or should have lots

• Advertisement

I'm getting nervous now, it seems to be a week away.....

And a week is a long time in politics, sorry forecasting.

Will still stock up though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement