Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

You may talk to one of your neighbors and ask for to use a bigger shed if they have it
    The snow in the east and southeast on this 18z in shower and blizzard form from Dublin to Waterford is bone chillingly relentless for 4 or 5 days on the trot

it's kinda scary if you really think about how much could fall. I reckon downgrades may happen and would probably be a good thing. Even if we got half of what is being shown tonight, it would still be alot of snow.

Tonights charts are similar to the epic snow blizzards they get in the United States, you know the ones where they do timelapses over 2 days and the snow is meters high by the end of it.

I am not sure this country could handle a situation like that. I presume that's the sort of storm they had here in 1947.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Unlikely that you will stay dry
    You will just be slightly less sick of snow than the rest of us but you will or should have lots

Aaaw thanks George Sunsnow, you’ve cheered me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

GFS snow depth charts which are notoriously inaccurate, never mind at this sort of range- but anyway, little to no Irish sea convection factored into this...

222-780UK.GIF?22-18

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    GFS snow depth charts which are notoriously inaccurate, never mind at this sort of range- but anyway, little to no Irish sea convection factored into this...

222-780UK.GIF?22-18

60cm in Yorkshire? Sky News are going to be busy next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's kinda scary if you really think about how much could fall. I reckon downgrades may happen and would probably be a good thing. Even if we got half of what is being shown tonight, it would still be alot of snow.

Tonights charts are similar to the epic snow blizzards they get in the United States, you know the ones where they do timelapses over 2 days and the snow is meters high by the end of it.

I am not sure this country could handle a situation like that. I presume that's the sort of storm they had here in 1947.

This is the thing
    The net effect of what’s happening is we are getting a net taste of what our climate would be at this latitude if the North Atlantic didn’t exist
    I actually expect the monumentally cold charts to continue and to verify as the air causing is there and heading our way,there’s no way out at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Just the icing on the cake to have Su on board. Always the voice of reason when we get carried away sometimes. :)

Su Campu??
    Are some of the great names of 2009/2010 still on here like cherryghost
    Maquiladora
    Deep Easterly
    Darkman
    Black briar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

GFS 18z is so extreme! 72 hours of non stop precipitation between streamers and frontal snow on that run, very unlikely to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm half a mile inland in Balbriggan. None of the easterlies of the last 25 years managed to give me sub zero temps while the wind is blowing straight off the sea.
    2C max by day and a fraction above zero at night, is what ive got from similar setups to Monday and Tuesday.

It can go a little colder during showers, and its alway much colder once you're further from the sea or any extra height.
    The second half of the week is new territory. It could break all sorta of records. :D
    The NRA station on the Drogheda bypass recorded an ice day on the second day of the Big Snow of 2010. Not so coastal admittedly but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

See from the chart that Sligo is grand.

Whats the big deal?

I reckon we will get more than zero

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm getting nervous now, it seems to be a week away.....

!

It is not a week away:) By monday evening into early Tuesday you will most likely start seeing reports of snow from member living in the east.

If we do get a repeat of the 1947 kind of snowfalls next week- unlikely, but if we do, i think we are better equipped to deal it with nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ukmintemp.png

Anyone living in Carlow may want to insulate their pipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

je551e wrote: »
    Su Campu??
    Are some of the great names of 2009/2010 still on here like cherryghost
    Maquiladora
    Deep Easterly

Yes they are here under different names. The GFS charts are too good to be true. They don't call it the pub run for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

patneve2 wrote: »
    GFS 18z is so extreme! 72 hours of non stop precipitation between streamers and frontal snow on that run, very unlikely to verify

Agreed that it does unlikely but on the flip side, almost every new GFS run in the past few days appears to be an upgrade which in itself is highly unlikely.

Regarding an all out snow storm like what is being depicted tonight, it'll still need be showing up through the weekend and into the early days of next week to be really taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking at Sat24 i see a blob of white to NE of Scandanavia. Its moving SW. Is this the start of whats to come or is it not showing yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

BBC Weather for the week ahead
    22nd February 2018 Last updated at 21:03

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/43164159

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

First time posting in the weather forum but a long time lurker.

A big thank you to all the knowledgeable posters your advice has helped me prepare many a time for various weather events..even the ones that didnt materialise.

Based on this thread I will be stocking up on some basic essentials. Lost water for a week in 2010..not fun

Being on the Kildare/ Laois border and 20 mins from Carlow i take I could be looking at a repeat of 2010 snow wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

And Grace from the Kerry Mountains? Her use of words to describe the weather was beautiful.
    Yes they are here under different names. The GFS charts are too good to be true. They don't call it the pub run for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Wait...Maquiladora...nacho libre...that Mexican connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

drive it wrote: »
    How long is this cold spell to last for?

Could this be like 2010 all over again???

That’s good to know , really enjoyed they’re input & yours , not much of a poster but always on here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

GFS 18z is pretty much the dream run any snow lover in the East and South East could wish for. The really good stuff in FI but get the cold in first Monday and the rest will follow. What an amazing week we have ahead of us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

JCX BXC wrote: »
    ukmintemp.png

Anyone living in Carlow may want to insulate their pipes!

Should I insulate my station? Ah if it could handle -17.7c in 2010 I think she’ll take this on the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

arctictree wrote: »
    I'm getting really worried about this now. I'm due to start lambing tomorrow in the Wicklow hills. I don't have enough room in the shed for all the ewes plus their lambs, normally they go out a couple of days after birth. Also, my shed doesn't have a great roof and I'm worried about that too. Also, I have another flock out in the fields not due to lamb for another month. Not sure what to do with them.
    Look to you land for natural shelter, maybe round bales stacked 2 high. I really pity ye lads. So glad I got away from that, don't think people realise the devastation farmers go trough with losing stock. Apart from the financial side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Waiting day by day, run by run for downgrades but if anything the models are getting more bullish. The only factor that truly remains in question is the exact wind direction. The slightest shift in degrees will dictate who gets snowfall initially in north, east and southeast. GFS tonight throws up a low pressure system that synoptically speaking is the 'perfect storm' for a snowstorm in most parts of the country.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

2010 will be hard to beat, but as it looks right now it could certainly rival it.

Nothing sums up the 2010 spell more for me than the sight of people filling out of Midnight Mass in Cork on Christmas Eve trying to bless themselves with holy water only to find that it had frozen in the font into a block of ice. :D Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ninthlife wrote: »

Being on the Kildare/ Laois border and 20 mins from Carlow i take I could be looking at a repeat of 2010 snow wise?

A greater than even probability.

Best to make initial preparations for a serious event based on your requirements.

In fact everyone should be doing that over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

piplip87 wrote: »
    I remember in 2010 Lough Ramor froze solid Christmas Day. I always remembered the aul fella going on about big Snow events in the 60's where the lake froze over.

Christmas day they had to break the Ice for the swim with a digger and what happened after the swim will never leave me, half the town out walking on the lake. Aul ones of 80 hand in hand with there husbands. Was also my Dads last Christmas.

A few days later there was an alert. A fella went walking on the Ice and had being missing for a few hours. Turns out he walked clean across the lake and was sat in a pub the other side of it. Some criac all together

I remember going fishing on Ramor that Christmas and being amazed looking at the vastness of ice.

We had originally tried fishing a boat marina in Longford but the ice was so thick we couldn't break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

MJohnston wrote: »
    Wait...Maquiladora...nacho libre...that Mexican connection

Nacho was here in 2010 I think. I'd really like to know what maq is posting under now i enjoyed his/her posts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Villain wrote: »
    Should I insulate my station? Ah if it could handle -17.7c in 2010 I think she’ll take this on the chin.

I doubt it, personally mines rated for fairly low temperatures. Plenty of places where -9 is a regular winter occurrence!

One concern I do have though is what effect the cold weather could have on the batteries.

• Advertisement

Nacho was here in 2010 I think. I'd really like to know what maq is posting under now i enjoyed his/her posts

Same here I was a huge fan , and yes was Nacho was here in 2010

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement