Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There should be a frost cover inside covering the meter. It's a plastic spongy type of thing over the meter.

Very glad I bypassed and binned mine, replaced it with a straight valve and insulated the hell out of the casing. And yes anyone who got a pressie of a meter from Irish Water should add their own insulation sharpish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I think we're going to need a separate frozen pipe thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So I wonder if sometime in 2020 we can expect to see clips of the great Siberian Beast from the East Blast which caused havoc in Ireland in Feb/Mar 2018 on the new series of Reeling in the Years- the 2010s?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Heading to Disneyland Paris this day week for a long weekend with two children
    Dreading to think how cold it’s going to be
    Flat out buying thermal gear today any tips folks on the dos and fonts of trying to keep warm

In other news, the Rock & Road marathon in Kinvara Co Galway on 3rd is gonna be challenging !!!!!!

Kinvara should be ok, just cold as opposed to snowy.

Its a good point though, anything sporting due to happen over the weekend of the 3rd / 4th probably wont. Its a good job there is a 6 nations game this week and then none for a fortnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

The upcoming events remind me of the US Storm of The Century which occurred in mid March 1993. Seemed late in the season but BANG!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

So I wonder if sometime in 2020 we can expect to see clips of the great Siberian Beast from the East Blast which caused havoc in Ireland in Feb/Mar 2018 on the new series of Reeling in the Years- the 2010s?

Not unless they change the entire format of the show, buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm Black Briar!

Or am I?
    I’m black briar and so is my wife !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think we're going to need a separate frozen pipe thread

That made me laugh. Although I was the recipient of the frozen pipe syndrome in 2010 I survived.

So glad the thread has been divided into tech and chatters.

The techies can move seamlessly between the two, however it ain't that easy for the chatters to break in to the techy charts!

But everyone is happy I am sure. Good balance and will be great over the weekend if things pan out.

The upcoming events remind me of the US Storm of The Century which occurred in mid March 1993. Seemed late in the season but BANG!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

That's a ramping

Thats-a-paddlin.jpg

• Advertisement

Heading to Disneyland Paris this day week for a long weekend with two children
    Dreading to think how cold it’s going to be
    Flat out buying thermal gear today any tips folks on the dos and fonts of trying to keep warm

Many thin layers and natural fibres, only synthetics on your outer shell. Keep your head and feet well insulated and the rest of the body is usually fine.

I hate to poop the party, but the French met is predicting its lowest temps for something like 47 years so a) your travel may be disrupted or cancelled and b) even if you get there, Disney may have to close for public safety reasons so get good insurance straight away and stay tuned to the local forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

The tread is really derailing now it’s frozen pipes or sports lol. Any more model updates or when the next guys

That made me laugh. Although I was the recipient of the frozen pipe syndrome in 2010 I survived.

So glad the thread has been divided into tech and chatters.

The techies can move seamlessly between the two, however it ain't that easy for the chatters to break in to the techy charts!

But everyone is happy I am sure. Good balance and will be great over the weekend if things pan out.

I went two weeks or so without a proper shower.

But I was happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So is around sunday the day we will know for sure that places will get a lot of snow or not? Rather than it just being cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

davidsr20 wrote: »
    The tread is really derailing now it’s frozen pipes or sports lol. Any more model updates or when the next guys

Head over to the technical thread

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

wakka12 wrote: »
    So is around sunday the day we will know for sure that places will get a lot of snow or not? Rather than it just being cold?

Monday on I think

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

je551e wrote: »
    Su Campu??
    Are some of the great names of 2009/2010 still on here like cherryghost
    Maquiladora
    Deep Easterly
    Darkman
    Black briar

I remember them all, learned a lot from them!
    Miss having them around as they added a lot to this forum.

There is now a separate techie chart thread just for you. Seek and you shall find!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

Crickey..,,,,looks like North West will need a LOT of patience ...,, any snow not really due for 7 days on this gfs run.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Next updates will be tomorrow morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Those pressure values I was mentioning earlier were just for an update for anyone who had been following an earlier set of posts about where these synoptics were developing, the models did a pretty good job of pushing that Franz Josef high over from north of Alaska where it was a week ago. And it is the core of the eventual high that shows up over northern Scandinavia in a few more days' time. The dead low I was tracking was a potential feature within the vast cold air mass that could, if it stayed active, spawn meso-scale lows in the North Sea of more interest to us, but at the moment I think only a ghost of that will be left in the circulation by 27th, still it could be the eventual focus for something that develops east of Scotland and tracks towards Ulster. Looking now like it's mostly a case of a frontal zone well south of Ireland that could push moisture into the cold easterly flow and ramp up snowfall amounts.

I would say at this point, the models are advertising a better than 50-50 chance of red alert conditions on 27th to 2nd of March. Potential exists for crippling amounts of snow over large parts of the south, it will be more of an enhanced snowfall than localized streamers, those will be the heaviest core of the larger extent of snow, if these charts are halfway accurate. The 850 mb temps are indicating that once heavy snow cover develops across Britain, temperatures there could be -4 to -7 C in snowfall and -10 to -15 (in central England and Wales) in any clearing intervals overnight, so that depth of frigid air will be rushing across the Irish Sea, it will easily form massive streamers but as there is some synoptic scale snowfall potential in the background, these streamers will enhance that lighter snow, would expect totals to be quite staggering if all this comes off. I will post some actual numbers when I feel that the model consensus warrants it, but expect big ones.

wakka12 wrote: »

Generally yes, but snow early in the week will be a local nowcast, its until low pressure incursions later in the week that widespread pastings are likely

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

One for the technical heads-How unusual is it for the jet stream to do what it is doing or what it is predicted to do ie loop up towards Iceland and loop back south in Central Europe???
    It’s bugging me the most about this bit of weather that I can’t get my head around that!
    Imagine it were to take a more permanent position like it’s going to do how different our climate would be :o

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Many thin layers and natural fibres, only synthetics on your outer shell. Keep your head and feet well insulated and the rest of the body is usually fine.

I hate to poop the party, but the French met is predicting its lowest temps for something like 47 years so a) your travel may be disrupted or cancelled and b) even if you get there, Disney may have to close for public safety reasons so get good insurance straight away and stay tuned to the local forecasts.

This sounds like great advice.
    And look, if the worst comes to the worst, you'll have to stay here in a winter paradise.

Ham up all the "do you want to build a snowman" stuff, and the kids will have the best winter of their childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MissMoc wrote: »
    And Grace from the Kerry Mountains? Her use of words to describe the weather was beautiful.

I don't know about her. She has not been heard from in a good while
    I agree about her being a wordsmith. It was a pleasure to read her posts about life and nature in the Kerry mountains.

I went two weeks or so without a proper shower.

But I was happy!

Yup those baby wipes are great when there is no water alright. Smell like a baby? well I can live with that for a few days.

That is all they have on the Trans Siberian Express too. Good enough for them, it's good enough for me. In an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daz9716

All water meters in my area are insulated as I was standing beside the men at the time installing them , meaning rathfarnham I don't know about other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Larbre34 wrote: »

Cheers looking very dodgy at this stage

Yup those baby wipes are great when there is no water alright. Smell like a baby? well I can live with that for a few days.

That is all they have on the Trans Siberian Express too. Good enough for them, it's good enough for me. In an emergency.

Urrgghh no

I was taking baths, you retched fleabag :)

(baby wipes all the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This seems to be a Go now at this stage. I reckon it's time to split this thread to a dedicated technical thread and a Chat thread. Mods?

Boss! Boss! De Man frum Su Campu....He say Yes!! :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement