Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Calibos wrote: »
    what month is it again?? :D

Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

I’m trying very hard not to get my hopes up too much about lying snow but readings MT’s post has fried my tiny mind indicating a live chance.
    I travel 3-4 times each winter to get my snow fix (yes I’m an addict) but there’s nothing comparable to having snow at home for some reason..
    It’s been an unbelievable year for snow conditions across the European resorts.. Would be great to have enough snow to get the skis out here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Mafra wrote: »
    I’m trying very hard not to get my hopes up too much about lying snow but readings MT’s post has fried my tiny mind indicating a live chance.
    I travel 3-4 times each winter to get my snow fix (yes I’m an addict) but there’s nothing comparable to having snow at home for some reason..
    It’s been an unbelievable year for snow conditions across the European resorts.. Would be great to have enough snow to get the skis out here!!

Just don't go down the shops in your ski gear.

This is Ireland, and no matter how appropriate your attire may be, we will slag the crap out of you forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

So long snow bunnies, see y'all later..
    It's turning out to be some Warren here.

I'm off into my cosy hole, think I'll Bluetooth a YouTube 8 hour snowstorm to my speaker...

Hopefully it'll be a reality in a few days...

Good night

So long snow bunnies, see y'all later..
    It's turning out to be some Warren here.

I'm off into my cosy hole, think I'll Bluetooth a YouTube 8 hour snowstorm to my speaker...

Hopefully it'll be a reality in a few days...

Good night

And you're a right Colin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

From Ophelia in October to the Severe Cold\Snowy spell on the way this has been some winter season.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

gabeeg wrote: »
    Just don't go down the shops in your ski gear.

This is Ireland, and no matter how appropriate your attire may be, we will slag the crap out of you forever.

Lol, I know finger pointing & ‘state of that’..
    I might complete the look and stick the skis on the roof and just drive around like a plank looking for a steep field with no electric fence in the middle..

From Ophelia in October to the Severe Cold\Snowy spell on the way this has been some winter season.

Indeed. They'll probably have a Live Reeling In The Years because its so cold

:D:D An hour long special with Keelin Shanley and Caitriona Perry:D

Special guest Theresa Mannion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Mafra wrote: »
    Lol, I know finger pointing & ‘state of that’..
    I might complete the look and stick the skis on the roof and just drive around like a plank looking for a steep field with no electric fence in the middle..

Depending on the steepness of the hill and placement of the electric fence, it may only be a problem for your first run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

October is Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No doubt Theresa will be on TV over the next couple of weeks telling us all how to drive in snow.

October is Autumn.

Fair point.

And still a chance it may not properly snow til spring.

He was way, WAY off

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daz9716

And it will actually work out cuz I find the months are just getting faster and faster 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daz9716

I can hear her now " do not walk and icy surfaces do not ski on treacherous roads 😂😂

October is Autumn.

As regards storms it's considered the winter season. Hence you get named storms starting at A, B etc from October on.

October is Autumn.

Storm Aileen was actually in September. They are considered and named the winter storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

OMG I'm so excited! I cannot wait to see lying snow and (the two go hand in hand) read other snow lover' responses!
    It's mad but part of the joy of snow has now become not only seeing it myself but also reading about other people's happiness in seeing it too!
    As well as the almighty craic and laughs reading the comments on the forum.....the Cork snowline will go down in history for me!

For what it's worth I'm expecting easterly snow Tuesday night into Wednesday and a nationwide pasting next Friday. Even Cork and the Wesht.

Omg i love you

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

It’s been years since I’ve posted here but I continue to follow this great thread from overseas where we get several feet of snow each winter.

The synoptic evolution on all models tonight is in many respects a once in a generation event. As MT Cranium correctly points out the evolution around T + 168 has the potential to deliver crippling amounts of snow - especially to the southeast.

I would caution at this point that we need cross model consistency to generally be maintained out to Saturday before we can have absolute confidence.

If something along the lines of the GFS 18Z and ECMWF 12Z develops then it will be a once in a generation event.

However - much caution still needed. This is a rare pattern and model output consensus until we are towards T + 72 is required before being absolutely certain.

If the cold becomes successfully embedded the snow will come - there is no doubt about it.

Snowaddict

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Storm Aileen was actually in September. They are considered and named the winter storms.

Since when are they named or called the Winter storms? They're called European windstorms. They can occur at any time of the year. they're just more common in Winter.

• Advertisement

He's got you there, in fairness

Even has a link

Game, set, match

Since when are they named or called the Winter storms? They're called European windstorms, they're just more common in Winter. They can occur at any time of the year.

I'm talking about the naming process. Ophelia of course was named by the US, NOAA. The general period from October to March and it's weather tends to be looked on as the winter season in agriculture and many other areas. A little like winter time end of October to end of March summer time end of March until end of October.

No one calls them the European Windstorms, colloquially, which is what i was loosely doing referring to the weather events since October.

https://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=446

#overly pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Why are many people here wishing for, getting really really excited for serious snow, can not wait for it?

Surely will not be a good thing? Cold, very cold yes, but snow and/or ice and lots of it? The country will grind to a halt surely .. Why is that good, work wise, business wise, schools, homeless, emergency services etc? Especially if this lasts into March and/or for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Daz9716 wrote: »
    I can hear her now " do not walk and icy surfaces do not ski on treacherous roads 😂😂

UNBELIEVABLY! PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SPOTTED SKIING ON THE ICE IN BLACK ROCK IN SALTHILL

GALWAY CITY COUNCIL SAY THEIR ACTIONS ARE IDIOTIC AND NOT ONLY....

MASSIVE RUMBLE*
    Teresa covered by avalanche.

Since when are they named or called the Winter storms? They're called European windstorms. They can occur at any time of the year. they're just more common in Winter.

Gerald Fleming, Head of Forecasting at Met Éireann, said: "Last winter was a very quiet one weather-wise and we only worked our way through five named storms, from Angus to Ewan. While it is too early to say whether the coming winter will be a stormy one or a quiet one we are prepared with a whole new set of 21 names for whatever nature may throw at us. As before Met Eireann forecasters will work in close co-operation with our colleagues from the UK Met Office to keep all the peoples of these islands warned of impending severe weather."

Even has a link

Game, set, match

He's done for now. I have 2 links:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

aidanodr wrote: »
    Why are many people here wishing for / getting really really excited for serious snow, can not wait for it?

Surely will not be a good thing? Cold, very cold yes, but snow and / or ice and lots of it? The country will grind to a halt surely .. Why is that good, work wise, business wise, schools, homeless, emergency services etc? Especially if this lasts into March / for a few weeks

Some people prefer cats, some people prefer dogs. Some people love dogs and hate cats, some people hate dogs and love cats. Some people love both and some people hate both. Some people are indifferent to both dogs and cats and don't have a preference either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Dude, make a choice between commas and forward-slashes, and stick to that choice!

Fixed?? :D

Why are many people here wishing for, getting really really excited for serious snow, can not wait for it?

Surely will not be a good thing? Cold, very cold yes, but snow and/or ice and lots of it? The country will grind to a halt surely .. Why is that good, work wise, business wise, schools, homeless, emergency services etc? Especially if this lasts into March and/or for a few weeks

• Advertisement

He's right though, lads.

If we all wish in the other direction we can avert this crisis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement