Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

aidanodr wrote: »
    Fixed?? :D

Why are many people here wishing for, getting really really excited for serious snow, can not wait for it?

Surely will not be a good thing? Cold, very cold yes, but snow and/or ice and lots of it? The country will grind to a halt surely .. Why is that good, work wise, business wise, schools, homeless, emergency services etc? Especially if this lasts into March and/or for a few weeks

It's true Aidan. Your opinion is as valid as anyone else. I'd say if you ran a poll of the general public 70 or 80% would agree with you.

I suppose on fora like these most people who post enjoy extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Fixed?? :D

Why are many people here wishing for, getting really really excited for serious snow, can not wait for it?

Surely will not be a good thing? Cold, very cold yes, but snow and/or ice and lots of it? The country will grind to a halt surely .. Why is that good, work wise, business wise, schools, homeless, emergency services etc? Especially if this lasts into March and/or for a few weeks

Because it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for kids like me to finally be able to sled again just like in 2010 and have a nice extra break off of school, especially after literally just finishing the junior cert mocks this coming Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's true Aidan. Your opinion is as valid as anyone else. I'd say if you ran a poll of the general public 70 or 80% would agree with you.

I suppose on fora like these most people who post enjoy extremes.

It's literally one forum. Of course we enjoy extremes. The posts asking why we we want the extreme weather is like asking the funny pics forum why they want extremely funny pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

You're right not to go to bed anyway. Tomorrow's Friday, and next week is basically a right off

Pass it on

Rougies wrote: »
    It's literally one forum. Of course we enjoy extremes. The posts asking why we we want the extreme weather is like asking the funny pics forum why they want extremely funny pics.

I might do that between the next gap in model runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At 6pm the wind was SE in direction, getting out of the car a short while ago,a distinctly cooler wind from the NE was blowing.
    I was telling one of my colleagues about the coming weather and it seemed to go in one ear and out the other. They might pay more attention next week when they are stuck out in the sticks under a big pile of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

At 6pm the wind was SE in direction, getting out of the car a short while ago,a distinctly cooler wind from the NE was blowing.
    I was telling one of my colleagues about the coming weather and it seemed to go in one ear and out the other. They might pay more attention next week when they are stuck out in the sticks under a big pile of snow.

With the boss screaming in there ear via mobile saying I dont care how you get in here .. just get in here. The same type of cr*p we had during Ophelia.

Whenever I tell someone about upcoming weather, I shake them by the shoulders at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Feck off,,ye distroyed our party,,,,3000 over and out
    1500 tomorrow night ,,, Oh wait hopefully the leesiders will be snowed in on Monday
    Three games in 9 days ,, bring it on

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Feck off,,ye distroyed our party,,,,3000 over and out
    1500 tomorrow night ,,, Oh wait hopefully the leesiders will be snowed in on Monday
    Three games in 9 days ,, bring it on

You should meet our friend from earlier who had a bad dose of the forward-slashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rougies wrote: »
    Great analogy. Also, it's better to expect and prepare against extreme cold because it's been flagged overwhelmingly than be tied in the civil service where duration and severity has to be almost 1000% certain before they ought to freak out the country.

It's hard to know when reliability is more important than accuracy and I don't envy anyone who has to choose.

As for us, weather enthusiasts always follow extremes avidly. It's looking like an extreme event, so lots of posters want that next chart to help vindicate the excitement. Many people also know Alone (charity) was founded on cold weather deaths in the 80s. The social failing is not a fault of weather nerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its official. I've now been awake and following and posting in this thread for a continuous 24 hours and 58 minutes....

Quack, Quack, honk, Quack !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

this tread always cheers me up. when i read crippling amounts of snow i did a little irish dance around the room, my girlfriend thinks im nuts

Ha ha, there's an ad popping up for me on the page for skiing holidays. :):):)

Before I go to bed, theres one of these for everyone in the audience! :D

yZoXyuo.jpg

The social failing is not a fault of weather nerds.

Easy to say, but you should be running door to door shaking grannies by their shoulders and roaring about upper temps.

But you're not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Calibos wrote: »
    Its official. I've now been awake and following and posting in this thread for a continuous 24 hours and 58 minutes....

Quack, Quack, honk, Quack !! :D

You will end up sleeping through the whole thing.

And we should have done something about the Isle of Man.

We had eight years.

The guards will be able to find every grow house in the county next week, they'll be the ones which show up on the Garda helicopters thermal cameras.:)

The guards will be able to find every grow house in the county next week, they'll be the ones which show up on the Garda helicopters thermal cameras.:)

They won't need helicopters to see which gafs have no snow on their roofs

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    Easy to say, but you should be running door to door shaking grannies by their shoulders and roaring about upper temps.

But you're not
    If only you knew :(

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

You should meet our friend from earlier who had a bad dose of the forward-slashes

Its two in the morning ,that I think is enough of a excuse
    I forgot to quote ,,
    Now I need to switch over to the other important forum that keeps me up allnight as well ' come on the bit o red '
    So are we going to get any snow in Shigo:p:D:D

Sometimes they just don't want to listen. You tried.

It's not your fault.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Its two in the morning ,that I think is enough of a excuse
    I forgot to quote ,,
    Now I need to switch over to the other important forum that keeps me up allnight as well ' come on the bit o red '
    So are we going to get any snow in Shigo:p:D:D

This is the drunkest post I've ever seen.

Go away. You're a horrible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ps200306

Hourly post rate on this thread ... clearly the excitement is mounting! :pac:

98DmrjW.png

ps200306 wrote: »
    Hourly post rate on this thread ... clearly the excitement is mounting! :pac:

98DmrjW.png

I account for about 73% of that chart

But then, I am very excited

Sometimes they just don't want to listen. You tried.

It's not your fault.
    More a case of the boy who cried wolf. The models were worse 10 years ago, so flagging potential disturbances was a tricky business. Nov 2010 was really tricky and I only took to the phone maybe 18 hours ahead of what was expected. No one died, but I'm sure there was hardship that wouldn't have happened if I was more certain.

In my own defense, streamers are tough to predict when the upper level winds are so important as to where they actually fall.

442570.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

With the boss screaming in there ear via mobile saying I dont care how you get in here .. just get in here. The same type of cr*p we had during Ophelia.

Completely different. A fallen tree or other large debris or falling snow.

What would you prefer been hit with.

I've an 8 km walk to work which I'd have to do if the snow was too bad for the car but I wouldn't have done the walk during high winds

• Advertisement

Cya bright and early in the morning gabeeg! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement