Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Met eireann forecast just now said it will be “exceptionally cold” next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The icon and navgem are tools usually dragged out to show something otherwise unlikely
    The otherwise unlikely is usually cold so my view on these is no different now when they’re wheeled out showing something different

I’m expecting with the depth of severe cold advecting westward into Ireland from Russia that what we will get is more and more severe cold and snowy outcomes as we get closer to next week,there is no escaping this

Is this still Scottish research station tea and biscuit cold and snow, or have we moved to a higher level?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If you want to know what is possible at this late stage of the winter into early spring see what happened in 1947
    1947.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Is this still Scottish research station tea and biscuit cold and snow, or have we moved to a higher level?

We’re on Madeira cake at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a lovely sleep last, with dreams of a winter wonderland :)

The next 2-3 days as we wait for the cold to arrive may be painfully slow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

widespread 15-30 cm, a few local 40 cm __________ 25%

widespread 20-40 cm, local 50-60 cm ____________ 10%

If it came about, i wonder how some flat roofs / farm sheds hold up against some of those figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

I watched that last week to get in the mood, sorry I didn't leave it now for over the weekend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MetLuver wrote: »
    I watched that last week to get in the mood, sorry I didn't leave it now for over the weekend :-)

What’s the reference folks, might have a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Longboard wrote: »
    If it came about, i wonder how some flat roofs / farm sheds hold up against some of those figures?

Would the windy conditions not help blow the excess off roofs? It will be dry powdery snow to help.

Day after tomorrow :-) hopefully appropriate for the coming week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Day after tomorrow movie I think
    Beat to it by mere seconds Damm you met luver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Had a lovely sleep last, with dreams of a winter wonderland :)

The next 2-3 days as we wait for the cold to arrive may be painfully slow :)

I hope the snow showers spread far enough inland for Clare and Cork. The east is almost a given at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

I hope the snow showers spread far enough inland for Clare and Cork. The east is almost a given at this stage.

Normally the streamers make it to laois/kilkenny as flurries before vanishing, so I find it hard to see them making it to clare or to me in tipp, that's why I'm a little sceptical of MT's snowfall predictions from earlier. The east will get plastered but I don't see any widespread potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Come here lads....can i cut the lawns tomorrow or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

kod87 wrote: »
    Normally the streamers make it to laois/kilkenny as flurries before vanishing, so I find it hard to see them making it to clare or to me in tipp, that's why I'm a little sceptical of MT's snowfall predictions from earlier.

I suppose we need disturbances in the flow for more organised snowfall which is impossible to predict accurately at this stage. There was/is a low mentioned coming up from the south at the end of the week in the BBC forecast but again a long way off.

Day after tomorrow movie I think
    Beat to it by mere seconds Damm you met luver

Ha ha, sorry Bonzo :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Kids gone to school, fresh coffee made, laptop on charge and I keep hitting the refresh button!
    I feel like a child waiting for Santa. Hopefully cork will get enough to make even one snowman, I'm not greedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

met.ie have 3C for Monday and dry for Dublin

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The scene with the three lads in the research station in Scotland lights blinking,blizzard raging in the movie day after tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

silverharp wrote: »
    met.ie have 3C for Monday and dry for Dublin

sounds about right, cold air only digs in on monday evening onwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I can see water meters being a weak point for freezing.

We built in 2012, I insisted that the builder put our pipes at least 2 feet down but had to more or less stand over him to make sure as he was reluctant!

The insulation provided with the meter was paltry, so I made up my own full depth plug to keep it nice and cosy.

Looking forward to next week, had just moved over from North of Scotland in Dec 2009 so we were geared up for wintry weather including winter tyres on the 4x4. Kids are too young to remember a proper winter though, hopefully we get a good dump of snow for them. Sledges and snow shovel at the ready! No winter tyres atm, but snow chains at the ready if I'm really stuck.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

dashoonage wrote: »

Yes best do it while you still have a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I really hope this happens my family think I'm losing it

Looking like a north easterly wind when any potential snow begins next week. No good for us here in north Louth if theres lake effect snow as the Cooley/Mourne hills will block it out. We would need snow to be generated from a low pressure/frontal event or the wind to shift to a south of easterly direction for lake effect precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Don't forget the 12 year old scotch!

(Love that movie)...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

dashoonage wrote: »

Before severe frost ?
    It’s a no from me

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

noble00 wrote:
    I really hope this happens my family think I'm losing it

I just warned my parents a few minutes ago. They're heading away for the weekend tomorrow, back Monday so wanted to make sure they had enough time to do a big shop today if needed. In fairness they're hardy folk who always have a decent enough stockpile in the house (they live rurally on the edge of the Wicklow mountains) so they'll be well prepared. 2010 we got snowed in for 5 days (almost 4 without power! Thank god for the superser!) Better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm doing touristy stuff in Connemara on Saturday/Sunday/Monday & will be driving back to Dublin on Monday night. (We're staying near Cong, if that makes a difference.)

Anyone got a good idea of what to expect weather wise, driving around rural Galway & driving back to Dublin on the Monday night?

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm doing touristy stuff in Connemara on Saturday/Sunday/Monday & will be driving back to Dublin on Monday night. (We're staying near Cong, if that makes a difference.)

Anyone got a good idea of what to expect weather wise, driving around rural Galway & driving back to Dublin on the Monday night?

Cheers !

Seems likely to be mainly cold on Monday night so watch out for possible icy conditions, maybe the odd snow shower depending on how late it is (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Is there an end within sight of the charts to the forthcoming weather?
    Or are we talking about weeks of this easterly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement