Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

What about our evergreen vegetation,These temperatures will surely damage them.

E.g those fake palm trees we have all round the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Spent the entire day weather watching with those school days off, was totally worth the watch here in cork city! Would love some more days off to watch this event ;)

It was a bit difficult for me with Boards.ie constantly breaking and going into overload :P courtesy of the massive amount of frequent posts in the Ophelia threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

pad199207 wrote: »
    After this evenings runs i think the only thing that stands between us and probably the strongest easterly in decades is Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The setup cannot be faulted.

Id say if the same setup is being modelled through tomorrow this thread will likely be 20 pages long by tomorrow evening.......

Nearly 20 pages by midnight :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

What about our evergreen vegetation,These temperatures will surely damage them.

E.g those fake palm trees we have all round the country.

https://imgur.com/a/WdbiH

Aye, when charts look close to unprecedented and too good to be true then they probably are. Forecast 6-7 days out are rarely accurate so expect plenty of changes in the days ahead.

The good thing is that an easterly looks close to being locked in so at that stage at the very least we'll get some good dry frosty weather, anything else a bonus

I would laugh so hard if it all flopped, like not even be angry or frustrated. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I would laugh so hard if it all flopped, like not even be angry or frustrated. :pac:

Right don’t jinx it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Pentecost wrote: »
    An idiot writes.....we’re not actually looking at the potential for -15/-16 type temperatures are we?! The country will go mental next weekend if this keeps up.

Don't know much about weather lol I think they are the sky temperatures which are colder than down her so you subtract eight or ten degrees i think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aye, when charts look close to unprecedented and too good to be true then they probably are. Forecast 6-7 days out are rarely accurate so expect plenty of changes in the days ahead.

The one difference is the set of parameters this time are unique(Unlike other past failed easterlies); a recording breaking sww; followed by a second warming which has seen off the canadian vortex,and the mjo going to phase 8.
    It just might be one of those one in 50 years events that comes to pass. Even if there is a downgrade from what we have seen tonight,i think we will still get an easterly with some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wasn't expecting so many visitors!

Before I hit the hay, based on what some have said, just want to say important posters and onlookers take no action on the back of what you read here now. It's far too early.

And most certainly no need to worry. Everyone has circumstances - you may have elderly relatives or are weather dependent for your work etc.

Just drop in here now and again and keep up to date officially. Every possibility, likelihood the prognosis could moderate.

Just want to get that across. No one wants to be responsible for people worrying when they don't need to!

That's the media's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Sorry I'm late to this discussion. It is going to be a bit frosty...?? :D

Did Kermit light a fuse...?? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just brought a fan into the thread to cool things down a bit :pac:

18Qpcz3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

THink my prediction of 20 pages on this thread by tomorrow evening needs to be trebled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

sryanbruen wrote: »
    IMTs to compare

February 1947; -1.1c
    January 1963; -1.6c
    December 2010; -0.7c

Indeed, I should have clarified I meant next week could be like any week out of those months, not that it would last for anywhere near as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

In all seriousness this could be devastating for the huge numbers of homeless in Dublin and other cities IF something as severely cold as this comes off, and something that really can't be scoffed at. Certainly could end up being a massive wake up call for the government and the general public, nothing like this has hit Ireland in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I've just reserved a snow shovel for pick up from Argos

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I’m going to try not look at any wether charts tomorrow , no no seriously I mean it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nice guide showing the build up to the possibility of 'Siberian air' for next week by the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/43122036

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Going to order some backup coal tomorrow just Incase. If it doesn’t happen just store it for those cold wet days in that thing that’s called summer.

Just realised I started the 20th page ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Kermit right now :pac:

sWKwve5.gif

Somebody had to do it, so kudos for stepping up.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Going to order some backup coal tomorrow just Incase. If it doesn’t happen just store it for those cold wet days in that thing that’s called summer.

You mean early Autumn?

Oh yeah, that. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im very good at limiting my excitement about snow due to so many disappointments but I just can't help but be excited about the mere possibility of a 1 in 50 year event

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Im hoping for a cold and frosty outcome

Ban me now

Id say Sligo will prob get just light snow and lows in Markree could be -6c or below

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

Just brought a fan into the thread to cool things down a bit :pac:

Point that the other way please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

7 days to buy snowshoes online, or you'll spend the following 7 days welding tennis rackets together so you can go buy eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

wakka12 wrote: »
    I just can't help but be excited about the mere possibility of a 1 in 50 year event

thats the thing. the one in fifty event seems to be getting more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There's an outside chance that this could go on and on and on until we all hate snow.

gens-0-0-348.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

This gif is mesmerising, one amazing run. But I'm not in until Thursday, before that it's just time for popcorn and watching.

tempresult_nud8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Rougies wrote: »
    Kermit right now :pac:

sWKwve5.gif

Somebody had to do it, so kudos for stepping up.

Entirely unrelated but that is a fantastic GIF. I'm stealing it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

I found my yak tracks today while cleaning out a drawer. I bought them just after the snow in 2010 after Wicklow town was buried. Have not had an opportunity to use them since. Zero snow here in 8 years. Finding them today has to be a good omen! Other half thinks i am bonkers and told me to go asleep! Can't sleep...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ah here

Is someone playing tricks?

These charts couldnt be real.

Funny how RTE weather were afraid to even mention snow.

Its ok RTE. Just say white stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement