Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Seems likely to be mainly cold on Monday night so watch out for possible icy conditions, maybe the odd snow shower depending on how late it is (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Snow showers wil become increasingly frequent late afternoon on Monday throughout the night in Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Would large deposists of snow cause flooding problems when it eventually melts?

Did we have fooding issues in 2010 after the event?

Models aren't showing any sudden rise in temperature just yet for at least a week. We will have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭molly dolly

I've been lurking on this for days and am genuinely getting excited. Its taken me 8 years to get over 2010 - living in Wicklow foothills - I was a real frontier woman driving to and from work with a shovel in my car at 7 months pregnant. All ok until the valentines baby decided he wanted to either (a) see snow (b) see Christmas and arrived 19/12/2010. Poor hubs had a nifty subaru at the time which was a life saver - literally. Tough times but the little man has never really had the joy of proper snow days from school or building big snowmen nothing like snow through the eyes of a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Our pipes never froze over in 2010, but since then (and like many people) we have had a water meter fitted. I'm thinking this could be a weak point, so I am going to shove some old carpet on top of it which should help insulate it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Call me Al wrote: »
    Is there an end within sight of the charts to the forthcoming weather?
    Or are we talking about weeks of this easterly?
    If the block goes too far west, some model runs have it ending up closer to Canada, then we may have a sudden return to much milder conditions from the south or south east with low pressure moving in from the south.
    Thats the only scenario that would see us lose below normal temperatures. Otherwise its varying degrees of cold well into March.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I've been lurking on this for days and am genuinely getting excited. Its taken me 8 years to get over 2010 - living in Wicklow foothills - I was a real frontier woman driving to and from work with a shovel in my car at 7 months pregnant. All ok until the valentines baby decided he wanted to either (a) see snow (b) see Christmas and arrived 19/12/2010. Poor hubs had a nifty subaru at the time which was a life saver - literally. Tough times but the little man has never really had the joy of proper snow days from school or building big snowmen nothing like snow through the eyes of a kid.

I hope you named him John Snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Darwin wrote: »
    Our pipes never froze over in 2010, but since then (and like many people) we have had a water meter fitted. I'm thinking this could be a weak point, so I am going shove some old carpet on top of it which should help insulate it a bit.

My pipes did freeze for 4-5 days so I'm not looking forward to this, typical shoddy building, the mains pipe is not deep enough :( I'll be buying a few buckets I think.

Actually if it's a apocalyptic as it might be I'll just move in with my sister, her house is much warmer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Looks like it's largely avoiding the north 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Darwin wrote: »
    Our pipes never froze over in 2010, but since then (and like many people) we have had a water meter fitted. I'm thinking this could be a weak point, so I am going to shove some old carpet on top of it which should help insulate it a bit.

Never even thought of the water meter :(

• Advertisement

Mtx wrote: »

How and where you found this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Lads I can see a babyboom in 9 months time as couples are forced to stay indoors with copius amount of snow blocking them in all week.  Extra mickey money being paid then too. The government wont like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Just been walking up Henry St and was looking at people happily walking past in the morning sunshine, most blissfully unaware of the impending Snowmageddon that is about to envelope us ... I did feel a bit smug as I was getting my son his new waterproof snow boots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A level 3 cold weather alert has been issued in UK, this is one notch below a red level national emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

That word is banned here!! :mad:

Flooding unlikely. The dry/cold spell will actually allow the ground water levels to lower considerably. Any thaw would be contained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Had a lovely sleep last, with dreams of a winter wonderland :)

The next 2-3 days as we wait for the cold to arrive may be painfully slow :)

Do you think we'll get it in Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

torres9kop wrote: »
    Lads I can see a babyboom in 9 months time as couples are forced to stay indoors with copius amount of snow blocking them in all week.  Extra mickey money being paid then too. The government wont like that!!

Hahaha you could be right / or more divorces / either way it's a win win situation😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭molly dolly

I hope you named him John Snow?

eh no but I'm not Lyanna Stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That word is banned here!! :mad:

Flooding unlikely. The dry/cold spell will actually allow the ground water levels to lower considerably. Any thaw would be contained.
    Except if the ground underneath is frozen it can't soak

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

This is from the Midland Weather page on Facebook. Usually very accurate.

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

Weather Type: Severe Winter Weather
    Risks: Heavy Snow, Freezing Temperatures, Ice
    Warning Level: Red
    When: Monday 26/2/18 until at least 3/3/18

PLEASE SHARE

All current weather models are indicating that a severe cold spell, the coldest we are likely to have seen since 2010/11, will begin to impact the country over the course of the weekend, and particularly throughout next week.

Heavy snow showers will begin to effect the east coast through Monday, and will become more widespread and heavy through Tuesday night. The snow showers will continue throughout the week with more persistent snowfalls likely through Thursday and Friday. All areas will see some snowfall during next week, with Eastern areas most at risk and certainly areas in and around the Slieve Blooms.

Temperatures will be exceptionally cold across the Midlands, with temperatures plummeting through the early days of next week. Daytime temperatures in many areas are unlikely to rise above freezing next week, with afternoon highs on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday not getting above -2 or -3 degrees Celsius. Night time temperatures may dip to as low as -10 degrees Celsius in some more sheltered areas.

There is the possibility of a more general snowfall event in the second half of the week, though the certainty of this remains a little unknown at present. However it is safe to say that there will be a lot of disruption next week due to the severe cold and heavy snowfalls. Its difficult to suggest how much snow may fall during this period, however in the areas worst effected, through east Offaly, Eastern Westmeath, Kildare and Laois snowfalls may be in excess of 20 or even 30 cm by next Friday.

This is a severe weather event, with all the conditions needed to cause disruption to work, schools and pose a threat to the elderly in particular.

Please do heed the warnings and stay tuned for further updates.

Kindest regards as ever,

Cathal Nolan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Except if the ground underneath is frozen it can't soak

Then it would be a very slow thaw with limited runoff.

Water levels are dropping fast in Galway already;

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cold front advancing further in the 06Z GFS.

-5 uppers reaching the country by Monday 3am, could be some snow showers from around then onwards in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

YanSno wrote: »

How and where you found this info?
    The BBC weather, no blobs of the white stuff went over Ulster. They're always right the BBC......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Snow showers possible from Monday morning now in the east- Cold in quicker on the GFS 06z

gfs-1-72.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Honestly can't get my head around people excited for snow. I loved it when i was a kid, I will be pleased for my kids if it does arrive, but personally it is just an inconvenience. Worst of all it means I won't be able to cycle to work/go for a weekend spin on the bike. Don't mind the cold but wet feet are annoying.

On the other hand perhaps the following weekend the roads will have cleared and I can cycle up into the mountains to see the bogs up there under a white blanket, which from past experience is pretty magical.

The BBC weather, no blobs of the white stuff went over Ulster. They're always right the BBC......

Wait for the cold to come in first on Monday. The situation is so volatile that it's impossible to get it right that far out, pretty much any where can see snow with little lows and fronts popping up anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Fian wrote: »
    Honestly can't get my head around people excited for snow. I loved it when i was a kid, I will be pleased for my kids if it does arrive, but personally it is just an inconvenience. Worst of all it means I won't be able to cycle to work/go for a weekend spin on the bike. Don't mind the cold but wet feet are annoying.

On the other hand perhaps the following weekend the roads will have cleared and I can cycle up into the mountains to see the bogs up there under a white blanket, which from past experience is pretty magical.

Some people love snow as much as you love cycling it seems, each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

In a worse case scenario could super markets start running low on essential food items???

Do super markets have large reservoirs of food stored,how often do they get deliveries, isn't the main tesco distribution centre somewhere in the east of the country,if the biblical snow comes to the east won't this affect deliveries to the rest of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Just been walking up Henry St and was looking at people happily walking past in the morning sunshine, most blissfully unaware of the impending Snowmageddon that is about to envelope us ... I did feel a bit smug as I was getting my son his new waterproof snow boots :D
    Joanna Donnelly was the face of "Ophelia", remember her the night before? "This is happening ....... "
    I wonder who will get the gig next week? If reports on Boards are to be believed Gerry Murphy has left the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Joanna Donnelly was the face of "Ophelia", remember her the night before? "This is happening ....... "
    I wonder who will get the gig next week?

Joanna is on for next three days and she tweeted earlier:
    Well it'll be showers off the Irish sea so, you know, some will get some and the rest will get none and be all like "what's the fuss???" Either way though, it's going to be COLD! I'll be pulling out my ski gear anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement