Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Joanna Donnelly was the face of "Ophelia", remember her the night before? "This is happening ....... "
    I wonder who will get the gig next week?

Helen Dillion perhaps,god love her,shes like a frightened rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Lots of snow showing up by Tuesday on the GFS - Wicklow under constant snow all day according to this run.

96-574UK.GIF?23-6

108-574UK.GIF?23-6

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Then it would be a very slow thaw with limited runoff.

Water levels are dropping fast in Galway already;

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

Been great drying this week
    Badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

In a worse case scenario could super markets start running low on essential food items???

Do super markets have large reservoirs of food stored,how often do they get deliveries, isn't the main tesco distribution centre somewhere in the east of the country,if the biblical snow comes to the east won't this affect deliveries to the rest of the country?
    Most shops can only last 3 days before really running low. Milk and bread in setups like this, a day maybe two and that's if they stocked up. By day 5 with no deliveries we are down to polish meats and expensive wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Darwin wrote: »
    Our pipes never froze over in 2010, but since then (and like many people) we have had a water meter fitted. I'm thinking this could be a weak point, so I am going to shove some old carpet on top of it which should help insulate it a bit.
    km79 wrote: »
    Never even thought of the water meter :(

They have water meters in most countries incuding countries where temps are regularly -20 without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

This GFS is going to be AMAZING

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Villain wrote: »
    Joanna is on for next three days and she tweeted earlier:

She definitely didn't read the chief forecaster MT's morning update yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

There's an old story I can only remember vaguely of an elderly couple living I think in the Wicklow mountains and during some big snow - I think 1947 - people eventually thought to go in and rescue them. They met the old people walking out towards the roads...they had been grand and happy and warm and well-fed, but were out on a mission because they had run out of fags :D (love that!)

Anyways I got snowed in for 28 days in 2009 and 27 days in 2010, first year I made the mistake of not sweeping the fallen snow from the paths around the house and it froze in a solid ice plate that meant even going outside the door was treachorous. Did not make that mistake in 2010. Luckily I had enough food and fuel in both times and we had a fantastic time, holed up, listening to the lake freeze at night - big loud cracks in the super still, freezing air.

I don't know if we will get snow this time in NW, but if it snows where you are sweep the paths around the house before it freezes solid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nothing to dramatic from the UK Met Office in this forecast

UK Outlook for Tuesday 27 Feb 2018 to Thursday 8 Mar 2018:

It will continue very cold through next week, with sunny spells. However, snow showers are likely in many places, heaviest and most frequent in eastern and some central areas. Some spells of more prolonged snow are likely, especially in the east, and particularly later next week, across southern areas. Some locally significant snowfalls are likely although details will remain uncertain until much nearer the event. Strong winds will make it feel bitterly cold at times. Widespread, locally severe frosts are likely. The cold weather will continue into early March, with the northwest seeing the best of any brighter weather. Continuing windy at times, bringing marked wind chill and further snow in places. However the southwest may become milder at times but with further rain, sleet or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

id say snow Wed to Fri then milder with slush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Nothing to dramatic from the UK Met Office in this forecast

UK Outlook for Tuesday 27 Feb 2018 to Thursday 8 Mar 2018:

It will continue very cold through next week, with sunny spells. However, snow showers are likely in many places, heaviest and most frequent in eastern and some central areas. Some spells of more prolonged snow are likely, especially in the east, and particularly later next week, across southern areas. Some locally significant snowfalls are likely although details will remain uncertain until much nearer the event. Strong winds will make it feel bitterly cold at times. Widespread, locally severe frosts are likely. The cold weather will continue into early March, with the northwest seeing the best of any brighter weather. Continuing windy at times, bringing marked wind chill and further snow in places. However the southwest may become milder at times but with further rain, sleet or snow.

Wellllll

UK_Met.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I've been lurking on this for days and am genuinely getting excited. Its taken me 8 years to get over 2010 - living in Wicklow foothills - I was a real frontier woman driving to and from work with a shovel in my car at 7 months pregnant. All ok until the valentines baby decided he wanted to either (a) see snow (b) see Christmas and arrived 19/12/2010. Poor hubs had a nifty subaru at the time which was a life saver - literally. Tough times but the little man has never really had the joy of proper snow days from school or building big snowmen nothing like snow through the eyes of a kid.

We had the same without the Fargo-esque drama of it - wife's water broke on evening of 19th, son was born that night, and while I was in the Rotunda with her the next day, it snowed so hard that I had to leave the car in town and walk home...

Ive always worried about these ‘too good to be true’ type charts. But I think this time they are going to come true! :O

pad199207 wrote: »
    Ive always worried about these ‘too good to be true’ type charts. But I think this time they are going to come true! :O

They just keep upgrading, this is looking severe

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭molly dolly

Some of us who live in the hills had the foresight to build beside a pub!! In 2010 it almost remained opened 24 hours a day and apparently there were some great nights there. Council workers though did have a standoff over farmers clearing roads to get to stock. Apparently they weren't insured to work on the roads. I know we'd have been lost without like minded neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hoard and profiteer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Darwin wrote: »
    Our pipes never froze over in 2010, but since then (and like many people) we have had a water meter fitted. I'm thinking this could be a weak point, so I am going to shove some old carpet on top of it which should help insulate it a bit.

The water meters here have a frost plug to prevent freezing, see the 'winter ready' PDF, there is more information on it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

850 hPa temp anomalies from the GFS analysis over the last couple of days. Cold air mass, originally sourced in the Arctic, now intensifying over eastern Europe.

qo95k5.jpg

Circulating around the greater region for the time being, but with an Arctic high pressure forecast to become stronger over the next couple of days, it will help steer this ever darkening cold air mass in the direction of NW Europe.

Also, just to point out, feel free to diss anybody (particularly the tabloid reader types) who might claim this cold air is coming from 'Siberia'. It quite clearly isn't.:cool:

Image from WeatherObs.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CeilingFly wrote: »
    They have water meters in most countries incuding countries where temps are regularly -20 without issue.

Yeah but they didn't have lads taken off dole queues to install them.
    If you are worried,expose the housing for the meter and fill it with newspaper if you have nothing else. Even the foam insulation that you get stuff wrapped in (it's kinda like the stuff that goes under timber flooring) is perfect for insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    They just keep upgrading, this is looking severe

Can't believe I am seeing uppers of -14 in
    my neck of the woods in March. This is certainly upgrading with virtually every run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Walked around Tesco last night like a boss filling up my trolley. 16 bottles of tonic ( have loads of gin) as they'd be heavy to carry in the snow uphill.
    Couple of 5l waters
    Tins soup
    Matches
    Car screen covers ( reduced to €1.25) out of season presumably
    Bags of ice ( for GnT's)
    Dishwasher salt x6
    Daughter thought I was insane as I said "oh look there's lots of salt" and loaded up the trolley. She said that's because no one wants it! I continued in my mission however,smugly knowing what I know and feeling sorry the the people with little baskets just wandering around unaware.
    I got bread and milk for parents freezer too . I'm now wondering should I move in with my parents for a few days, mum needs a lot of care and I'm beginning to worry , they're south Dublin .
    Need to go back and get more water I think . Please someone tell me I'm not mad and completely over reacting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

Dickerty wrote: »
    We had the same without the Fargo-esque drama of it - wife's water broke on evening of 19th, son was born that night, and while I was in the Rotunda with her the next day, it snowed so hard that I had to leave the car in town and walk home...

I had twins in the rotunda on the 21st dec 2010, consultant walked in at 6am and husband stayed in a hotel as no darts and he was totally snowed in, unreal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

snowbabe wrote: »
    Walked around Tesco last night like a boss filling up my trolley. 16 bottles of tonic ( have loads of gin) as they'd be heavy to carry in the snow uphill.
    Couple of 5l waters
    Tins soup
    Matches
    Bags of ice ( for GnT's)
    Dishwasher salt x6
    Daughter thought I was insane as I said "oh look there's lots of salt" and loaded up the trolley. She said that's because no one wants it! I continued in my mission however,smugly knowing what I know and feeling sorry the the people with little baskets just wandering around unaware.
    I got bread and milk for parents freezer too . I'm now wondering should I move in with my parents for a few days, mum needs a lot of care and I'm beginning to worry , they're south Dublin .
    Need to go back and get more water I think . Please someone tell me I'm not mad and completely over reacting ?

Absolutely nothing wrong with being over-prepared

snowbabe wrote: »
    Couple of 5l waters
    Tins soup
    Matches
    Bags of ice ( for GnT's)
    Dishwasher salt x6

You’ll be the envy of everybody, with the G&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭molly dolly

Dickerty wrote: »

Hope your son is saner then mine!! We drove from Wicklow to Wexford and then I was transferred to waterford. When baby was transferred back to Wexford he shared nicu with the local celebrity triplets who were born in the midst of all that too.

Still hearing people say ahh sure it won't be that bad.

I guess we have to wait for met eireann to start releasing weather advisories and potential red alerts before people wake up.

If there was going to be a red alert, when would we expect to receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Still hearing people say ahh sure it won't be that bad.

I guess we have to wait for met eireann to start releasing weather advisories and potential red alerts before people wake up.
    Will it go as bad as a red alert though.

If there was going to be a red alert, when would we expect to receive it?

Probably Monday,as that would be prior to the start of the really cold temperatures and potential heavy snowfall.

• Advertisement

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Will it go as bad as a red alert though.

GFS 06z is easily red alert criteria met at certain points next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement