Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Will it go as bad as a red alert though.

Anything over 8cm of snow and schools close so then it's into red alert territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Are those UK Met weather warnings, I just came off their website and they only have two yellow warnings there,

Villain wrote: »
    Wellllll

UK_Met.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Are those UK Met weather warnings, I just came off their website and they only have two yellow warnings there,

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Snowbabe, you forgot to get lemons for the G&Ts!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

For anyone who doesn't stray into the technical thread, this was the 06z GFS

tempresult_tno3.gif

tempresult_zfz2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I like the idea of the various met offices arguing over whether the colour is "amber" or "orange".

I prefer swirly thing alert nomeclature.

(^^ that clip is a lot like this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This is mad altogether

The fact that its been so mild the few days before yesterday and everyone thinking spring was on its way has to the cheekiest stunt pulled by mother nature

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

yr for parts of wicklow next sunday (4th) minus 8!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Ah strawberry would you believe I buy them in the little nets 3 of them and cut the slices into quarters and freeze them all the time so they're frozen and I don't run out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,727 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When will this end?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    When will this end?

It's likely to continue until at least the end of next week according to current model runs

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Latest update from Met Eireann at 10:27 this morning.

"High pressure over Scandinavia continuing to influence our weather with mostly dry conditions at first but then becoming exceptionally cold with wintry showers becoming widespread early next week.

Saturday night will be dry with good clear spells and easterly winds will be light to moderate. It will turn colder under the clear skies with lowest temperatures falling to between -2 and +1 degree with a widespread sharp frost, but a degree or so higher along southwestern coasts.

Sunday will be a dry and sunny day. However, it will be another cold day with top temperatures of just 4 to 7 degrees in a light to moderate easterly breeze. Sunday night will be dry and clear in mostly light easterly breezes. Turning even colder with lowest temperatures falling to between -3 and zero degrees with a widespread sharp to severe frost.

It will most likely still be dry on Monday with some sunny spells but very cold for the time of year with daytime temperatures in the low single figures inland, and around 5 or 6 degrees on coasts. It will be very cold on Monday night with a severe frost and the risk of wintry showers along northern and eastern coasts in moderate northeasterly winds.

It will turn progressively colder from Tuesday onwards with wintry showers becoming more widespread in moderate to fresh northeasterly winds. By Thursday it is likely that it will become exceptionally cold and day time temperatures may hover just around freezing or even below freezing in some places with widespread severe frost at night."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

When will this end?

At around the 10,000 post mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

When will this end?

When Gerry Murphy returns from the Bahamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has the GSF just done a big rethink regarding that low pressure from the south next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Tis just a bit of frost

You’re gonna be my go to guide for the zombie apocalypse, snowbabe lol

Has the GSF just done a big rethink regarding that low pressure from the south next weekend?

I reckon any variation in the runs is simply because it's about a week away and it's hard to predict exactly how this will develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lucyryan1983

Cucumber all the way 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Possible snowfall in the Barcelona region next Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

What a roller coaster, Kermit is urging caution and MT is ramping!

This song might explain it...

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Thinking about buying a shovel now at weekend , will feel a bit stupid if i dont use it , guess i could keep the receipt!
    Place is going to be bone dry by Monday so expecting anything to be falling to stick.
    Hoping there will be good warnings in place and heeded , dont want to be stuck in work Tuesday and kids in school and get disruptive snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

torres9kop wrote: »
    Lads I can see a babyboom in 9 months time as couples are forced to stay indoors with copius amount of snow blocking them in all week.  Extra mickey money being paid then too. The government wont like that!!

I've posted this before but......My Father was born late September.....1947! You do the Math! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Rooy wrote: »
    Thinking about buying a shovel now at weekend , will feel a bit stupid if i dont use it , guess i could keep the receipt!
    Place is going to be bone dry by Monday so expecting anything to be falling to stick.
    Hoping there will be good warnings in place and heeded , dont want to be stuck in work Tuesday and kids in school and get disruptive snow.

Don’t dare buy a shovel - you’ll skupper the whole thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Latest update from Met Eireann at 10:27 this morning.

"High pressure over Scandinavia continuing to influence our weather with mostly dry conditions at first but then becoming exceptionally cold with wintry showers becoming widespread early next week.

Saturday night will be dry with good clear spells and easterly winds will be light to moderate. It will turn colder under the clear skies with lowest temperatures falling to between -2 and +1 degree with a widespread sharp frost, but a degree or so higher along southwestern coasts.

Sunday will be a dry and sunny day. However, it will be another cold day with top temperatures of just 4 to 7 degrees in a light to moderate easterly breeze. Sunday night will be dry and clear in mostly light easterly breezes. Turning even colder with lowest temperatures falling to between -3 and zero degrees with a widespread sharp to severe frost.

It will most likely still be dry on Monday with some sunny spells but very cold for the time of year with daytime temperatures in the low single figures inland, and around 5 or 6 degrees on coasts. It will be very cold on Monday night with a severe frost and the risk of wintry showers along northern and eastern coasts in moderate northeasterly winds.

It will turn progressively colder from Tuesday onwards with wintry showers becoming more widespread in moderate to fresh northeasterly winds. By Thursday it is likely that it will become exceptionally cold and day time temperatures may hover just around freezing or even below freezing in some places with widespread severe frost at night."

Although Met E update forecasts online during the day, the only bit that changes is the forecast for today and tomorrow. The outlook part is set in stone now until tomorrow morning. That outlook was probably posted at 5am this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Looks like its drying out for schnoooo

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Do do people purposely keep low supplies of firewood and oil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Don’t dare buy a shovel - you’ll skupper the whole thing!!

Could look like a legend or be laughed at by my family depending how it turns out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Rooy wrote: »
    Could look like a legend or be laughed at by my family depending how it turns out !

Or you could just buy it,hide it and bring it out when required!

It's not exactly a new car you are buying!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement