Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

I've heard they are comparing it to the 1982 spell. C,mon Offaly :-)

More of a chance of 30 degree heat next Wednesday I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

piplip87 wrote: »
    More of a chance of 30 degree heat next Wednesday I'm afraid.

I think you're underestimating the potential of this event to be honest

Regarding school closures. Most schools here closed twice this year due to snow. Once in December and once last Monday. There was only 2-3 cm.

If in doubt leave them off and let them play in the snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    He's talking about Offaly winning the All-Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

12.50 radio forecast playing it cool (so to speak), not getting excited yet really.

That forecast is always very limited and short range. Much more focus on sea area conditions.

Daniel2590 wrote: »

Its a fair comparison to either Cavan or Offaly winning the All Ireland this year though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Apologies, that went over my head completely! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

I'm starting to worry about north corks snow potential...(I know it's early days...)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Met Éireann warns that 'exceptionally cold' weather is on the way http://jrnl.ie/3868026

It's getting coverage now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

torres9kop wrote: »
    Lads I can see a babyboom in 9 months time as couples are forced to stay indoors with copius amount of snow blocking them in all week.  Extra mickey money being paid then too. The government wont like that!!

I was in Alaska and the tour guide told me he had 6 kids all born in November as the weather was particularly harsh in February and there was feckall else to do, You'd want to be fairly fond of the other half in Wicklow I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Maybe I was wrong to call the airmass 'Siberian' last night as GL stated. The airmass does originate in the arctic, but it does pick up continental/siberian characteristics as it is currently sitting close to/east of the Urals. I would therefore define this as an Arctic airmass with strong continental characteristics. Def stronger continental characteristics compared to 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Snow shovels are wonderful for use around the garden, in between our snowmageddon periods. Tidying up leaves and hedge trimmings is much easier with a snow shovel to hand.

Left my two good snowshovels in Scotland when we moved, somehow didn't think I'd need them in Tipperary.

Have found the wide aluminium grain shovel from the local agri co-op to be an excellent replacement, once I had flattened out the front edge. Has enough bite to break up packed snow and ice.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The red warning school closures only applies to wind, however if there's a red warning of low temperatures or snow I'm sure they'll close anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Seen this on the Facebook post Met Eireann released, oh my most of our country is in for a shock...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I’m in danger of being certified under the mental health act if I warn anyone else about snow next week , I’m looking over my shoulder for the men in white coats .

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Met Éireann warns that 'exceptionally cold' weather is on the way http://jrnl.ie/3868026

So we have a yellow for 7 days with immediate effect. But I don't see any real cold in ME's forecast until well into Sunday night. And then only -3.

So are ME genuinely spooked by the prospect of not warning early but needing to balance their warning systems credibility with what may happen.

Obviously, we are looking at other info sources for the big impact, but ME can really only speak to their own published outlooks..?

Interesting times ahead. Reckon it will be 48hrs before any forecast merits govt commentary in media. Anyone here know if govt bodies plan based on non ME forecasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

just stepped outside the office at lunchtime - its absolutely freezing out ! And this is just the beginning :-( :-(

(around February time every year I just got so tired of feeing cold - ugh - Winters not over yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Amazing the daily mail and star etc haven’t been stoking hysteria with headlines like ‘ ‘Sibireland shivers ‘.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So we have a yellow for 7 days with immediate effect. But I don't see any real cold in ME's forecast until well into Sunday night. And then only -3.

So are ME genuinely spooked by the prospect of not warning early but needing to balance their warning systems credibility with what may happen.

Obviously, we are looking at other info sources for the big impact, but ME can really only speak to their own published outlooks..?

Interesting times ahead. Reckon it will be 48hrs before any forecast merits govt commentary in media. Anyone here know if govt bodies plan based on non ME forecasts?
    ME are the national weather service, it would be inappropriate of them to make absolute calls on the weather more than about 48 hours out. If you consider the authority with which they speak, there are big implications in what they say - if they call for a snowmageddon, then farmers, builders, shipping, aviation, etc will all have to gear up and prepare. If it fizzles out, the credibility of ME is shot and millions of euro spent preparing for something that's not coming.

An advisory warning 96 hours out is pretty big. It indicates that they're taking it seriously enough that they believe people need to be forewarned, but not necessarily forearmed...yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

They have a yellow warning which I expected them to do at this stage but that will turn to a red warning on Sunday evening or Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Newbie question - Current 850 temps are at around 0 and the guidance is that you increase this then by +10 to give you approximate ground level temps. However checking met.ie latest temps they range from 4C - 9C so based on this crude calculation can we expect day time temps next week to vary alot around the country? E..g -12 850temps over the country could potentially give us -6 to -2 day time temps in different areas? I know other factors like wind direction and snow cover and local terrain will come into play. During the 2010 outbreak my next door neighbour in a small village in Mayo, called Straide recorded the historic low of -17.6 (Met Station). So will be interesting to see if this record will be broken again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Very uninspiring forecast after lunchtime news, no warning and only snow flurries are expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If you leave a cold tap in the bathroom running at a trickle, would that not stop the freezing process?

It's a bad idea, people emptied small local water reservoirs last in 2010 doing this leaving the area with no water.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Definitely feels like a different type of cold out there today. Very dry air and the wind chill is a making a big difference. People chatting about how cold it is. Exciting times for cold lovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I've told all my colleagues and my other half that we will have epic snow next week and seriously they've ripped the p*ss out of me for the last few days :mad:

I will Love It when I prove them wrong, I will Love It!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

They have a yellow warning which I expected them to do at this stage but that will turn to a red warning on Sunday evening or Monday.

If anyone is confused about Met Eireanns warning or timing, this comment nails what’s exactly going to happen. Just an advisory at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

joes girls wrote: »
    Very uninspiring forecast after lunchtime news, no warning and only snow flurries are expected.

The two tv forecasts worth watching are after 6 and 9 news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

vizualpics wrote: »
    Newbie question - Current 850 temps are at around 0 and the guidance is that you increase this then by +10 to give you approximate ground level temps. However checking met.ie latest temps they range from 4C - 9C so based on this crude calculation can we expect day time temps next week to vary alot around the country? E..g -12 850temps over the country could potentially give us -6 to -2 day time temps in different areas? I know other factors like wind direction and snow cover and local terrain will come into play. During the 2010 outbreak my next door neighbour in a small village in Mayo, called Straide recorded the historic low of -17.6 (Met Station). So will be interesting to see if this record will be broken again.

That is the December record low temperature, the all-time lowest Irish minimum temperature is -19.1c at Markree on January 16 1881. The March record is -17.2c at the same station on March 3 1947.

archives-1881-1-16-0-1.png

archives-1947-3-3-0-1.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement