Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

€6 in Argos ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That is the December record low temperature, the all-time lowest Irish minimum temperature is -19.1c at Markree on January 16 1881. The March record is -17.2c at the same station on March 3 1947.

What were the record lows in 2009 and 2010?
    I remember around -15C in 2010 in my car in Galway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

panic buying already started here in Dunshaughlin. the local supermarket is packed like as if it's christmas eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Minister wrote: »
    I suspect that the public sector employees will stop working from today for a fortnight - poor little things might catch a cold!!! Rest of us will keep going as long as we can. .......

I overtook a road gritter late last night. He's going to have his hands full over the next fortnight.

If the schools close teachers will have to make up those lost days later in the year.

Hospitals, garda stations and fire station will all remain open, and thankfully so.

Maybe the army might be needed to help vunerable people in remote areas.

Lazy sods. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Max temp in Arklow today 4.8c
    Now 4.4c
    Dew point 0.5c
    Wind has changed from southeast to due east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've told all my colleagues and my other half that we will have epic snow next week and seriously they've ripped the p*ss out of me for the last few days :mad:

I will Love It when I prove them wrong, I will Love It!! :D:D

I've sent the most recent forecast from MT onto my HR team so they can hopefully give advisories early next week in terms of weather warnings etc
    Fingers xxd it happens now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Max temp in Arklow today 4.8c
    Now 4.4c
    Dew point 0.5c
    Wind has changed from southeast to due east

Yip...chilly day...the cold has already arrived.

4.4c atm in Dublin 16 as well, with negative DP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Isn't it amazing how people never care about the army till something like this happens and even then it's less that admirable comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Oops69 wrote: »
    Amazing the daily mail and star etc haven’t been stoking hysteria with headlines like ‘ ‘Sibireland shivers ‘.

Beast of the East!!

https://www.independent.ie/weather/beast-of-the-east-to-bring-exceptionally-cold-weather-to-ireland-36635650.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Don't feed the trolls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

kenmc wrote: »
    I've sent the most recent forecast from MT onto my HR team so they can hopefully give advisories early next week in terms of weather warnings etc
    Fingers xxd it happens now

I live in Carlow and work in Dublin and usually travel by motorbike everyday.... I have subtly been dropping hints all day only to find my boss has his headphones in all day and hasn't heard a word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

€6 in Argos ;)

that's a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I overtook a road gritter late last night. He's going to have his hands full over the next fortnight.

If the schools close teachers will have to make up those lost days later in the year.

Hospitals, garda stations and fire station will all remain open, and thankfully so.

Ok, fair point. Non emergency sector public staff. I was on contract in a quango a few years back for a rolling four years and if there was a hint of bad weather ie storms in 2014 place closed.....

Thats all I will say so as not to derail.

Back to weather - its good to see that land is stsrting to dry out a bit in the South East. Ill wi d etc.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temp struggled to 6.3c at noon here in Waterford City but has dropped to 5.7c with winds gusting to 40km/h. Feels like 1c taking into account the wind.
    Imagine when the real cold arrives how its going to feel.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anything we should put on this weekends shopping list that might be useful in bad weather for people who might not be able to get to shops easy next week? Maybe a few things to make sure parents or grandparents have in?

Apart from the obvious like food I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy extra salt for de-icing paths? What kind is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

joes girls wrote: »
    Very uninspiring forecast after lunchtime news, no warning and only snow flurries are expected.

I think the forecast for the one on clock news is pri recorded, as far as I aware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ZX7R wrote: »
    I think the forecast for the one on clock news is pri recorded, as far as I aware

They are not meteorologists,they haven't a clue and only have a vague interpretation of what's happening,and are drip fed a script from glasnevin.

They're more concerned with how their make up and hair looks before going on air.

I don't understand why they exsist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Anything we should put on this weekends shopping list that might be useful in bad weather for people who might not be able to get to shops easy next week? Maybe a few things to make sure parents or grandparents have in?

Apart from the obvious like food I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy extra salt for de-icing paths?

If it's as bad as the models and our more knowledgeable posters say, salt will be of little use, if the snow shower are often and heavy to or snow trains,+if the temperature is below - 6it won't melt the ice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What were the record lows in 2009 and 2010?
    I remember around -15C in 2010 in my car in Galway.

2009-10

Oak Park; -12.1
    Ballyhaise; -9.7
    Shannon Airport; -11.2
    Cork Airport; -5.6
    Roche's Point; -2.7
    Malin Head; -3.7
    Dublin Airport; -9.5
    Casement Aerodrome; -12.4
    Valentia Observatory; -4.7
    Belmullet; -5.6
    Knock Airport; -6.1
    Gurteen; -8.4
    Mullingar; -10.0
    Johnstown Castle; -3.7
    Cavan; -10.8
    Carron; -9.0
    Fermoy; -8.4
    Sherkin Island; -4.0
    Ballygar; -11.0
    Phoenix Park; -10.0
    Warrenstown; -11.2

2010-11

Oak Park; -12.9
    Ballyhaise; -15.2
    Shannon Airport; -11.4
    Cork Airport; -7.2
    Roche's Point; -4.4
    Malin Head; -4.3
    Dublin Airport; -12.2
    Casement Aerodrome; -15.7
    Valentia Observatory; -7.7
    Belmullet; -7.6
    Knock Airport; -7.4
    Gurteen; -13.4
    Mullingar; -14.1
    Johnstown Castle; -4.5
    Cavan; -15.4
    Carron; -9.6
    Fermoy; -12.3
    Sherkin Island; -6.2
    Ballincurrig; -8.2
    Glenties; -11.8
    Ballyshannon; -12.0
    Phoenix Park; -10.8
    Maam Valley; -12.2
    Galway; -15.0
    Ballygar; -15.5
    Ardfert; -11.8
    Mount Russell; -11.8
    Straide; -17.5
    Warrenstown; -14.6
    Derrygreenagh; -13.1
    Waterford; -11.6

Data originally sourced from Met Éireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I hope it does not get too cold for snow! :p

Is there any truth in that? My mother used to always say it was too cold for snow? :o

• Advertisement

Mod Note: @ Gaoth Lag. Anymore stupid/pointless posts, and/or attempts to derail this this thread, by posting ficticious statistics/reports, will result in a infraction/ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Apart from the obvious like food I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy extra salt for de-icing paths? What kind is best?

Dishwasher salt is great and easy to spread,you don't need to go mad with the stuff either to clear a large area. Even a few handfuls works wonders. Remember that spreading salt on snow is kinda pointless,use it on compacted snow and ice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Gaoth Lag

Casement Aerodrome; -15.7

????

Where's Casement Aerodome lads? -15.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

You have to assume ESB and Water may be affected so...

Candles
    Matches
    Torches
    Batteries
    Firelighters
    Extra Solid Fuel
    Water (5l containers that can refilled)
    Portable gas stove?
    Teabags/Coffee
    Sleeping bags
    High energy foods
    First Aid kit (check it)
    Advance Medication prescriptions
    Radio

pilly wrote: »
    Is there any truth in that? My mother used to always say it was too cold for snow? :o

There is....that's why I posted it (...tongue in cheek...).

Very cold air, sourced from Siberia, can be very dry (i.e. without snow), so I assume someone once said that it was too cold to snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip...chilly day...the cold has already arrived.

4.4c atm in Dublin 16 as well, with negative DP.

Continuing to drop here near Arklow
    Now 3.9c
    Dp 0.2c

Seeing this,you would well expect the sub zero maxes next week
    Baltic already
    Gusting to 41.3kmh at just 12ft

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Starting to feel noticeably cold here in West mayo,a very dry cold,in a strong southeast wind.

The ground has dried out remarkably quick in the past two days.

Same here in Sligo. What a difference a few hard dry days can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

ZX7R wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself, there is a mad rush for firewood e.c.t
    In my area neighbours ask me am I not getting ready for next week, my reply was I've been ready since 2010

It's probably people who don't normally light a fire would stock up in case electricity, gas or oil goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Just looking at my roster for next week Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday fan fecking tastic :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: Gaoth Lag has received an infraction for ignoring mod instructions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement